Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I prevent the headlights from coming on and horn honking when I press the remote start button?
Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
How do I prevent the headlights from coming on and horn honking when I press the remote start button?
Thanks
That little device is a computer. It is programmed by pressing the buttons in various sequences or with various multiple presses. All brands are different.

For example on my Honda, I got them to change my remote close from beeping horn on first press to only beeping after pressing it TWICE.

Good luck.

Dave In Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks
So did you try toggling option 6 to get rid of horn honking?

If that fails you could cut the A-21 Brown/Black wire in the RMST module wire harness to disable the horn honking.

To get rid of the parking lights flashing cut the A-1 White wire.

The wiring diagram is in post 3 of this thread.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tthrsn,,,
I got everything squared away.
I pulled the cover under the steering , the one that gives you access to the fuses.
Then I found the remote start unit stashed up in there and I cut 2 zip ties to
get slack in the wires.
I found and then cut the brown wire with black stripe , that got rid of the horn honking when remote starting. Picture 1 below.
Then I pulled down the relay and removed the white wire , i then removed the black wire , then I cut the red wire then cut the blue wire , I removed the relay completely,, then wired the red wire to the blue wire and that prevented my headlights from coming on during
remote starting.
Thanks for the link to the remote start wiring, I'll post pictures here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
... I got everything squared away ...
That's wonderful news. At some point I'll follow your lead, but for now could I ask you a few questions?

1. Did you try toggling option 6? Did it disable horn honking?

2. The cut wire in the first photo seems to be White/Brown rather than the Brown/Black in your write up. Is there something we need to know here?

Thanks.

Note to Canadians: I just went out and tried my remote start on my 2016 and (when starting) it honks but no lights come on. I suspect that this is because (by law) our running lights are on whenever we are driving and Ford didn't bother with additionally reworking the wiring to get a light blink for the remote start.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ tthrsn
1 ,, nope , I never tried to toggle the horn honking to off
2,, the diagram says there is a Brown wire with a black stripe , in real life it's more of a tan wire with a black stripe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if I were to cut the yellow/grey wire for door ajar if it would stop with the silly turn off of the engine as soon as you open the door to sit down and put your key in. It’s just silly to have to restart the truck again. Tom

·
Registered
134 Posts
Btw, I did try to program the door open shut off van mode to know avail. Ford dealer says you can’t . Mine is the dealer installed remote start that I had them install before I picked it up.
Thanks,Tom

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Does anyone know if I were to cut the yellow/grey wire for door ajar if it would stop with the silly turn off of the engine as soon as you open the door to sit down and put your key in. It’s just silly to have to restart the truck again. Tom
It should work but then the other features won't work for the door open.

A car alarm installer could probably put a relay on that wire so it would only cut the connection while remotely started and then reconnect when you turn the key.

Whatever doesn't turn on when remotely started such as the radio, could be the wire that controls the relay to open that circuit and when you press brake and turn key it would close the circuit.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Btw, I did try to program the door open shut off van mode to know avail. Ford dealer says you can’t . Mine is the dealer installed remote start that I had them install before I picked it up.
Thanks,Tom
I have the same factory remote start as you , it worked on mine , it no longer shuts down when installing key/opening door.
I would try it again , it took me a few times before I got it right.
I watched a YouTube video showing how ,
Search YouTube for
( Ford Remote Start Shutdown Upon Entry Fix)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts