Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my headlights to LED when I bought the vehicle new in 2016. I think the awful lights was my biggest disappointment on the van. The LED's definitely improved the light output and made it easier to drive at night. But after three years they died... and they dont make them anymore to replace. I'm not too impressed with the quality, they were just an off brand.

So I decided to tackle a projector retrofit and WOW, I couldn't be happier. Took a little longer then expected but well worth the time and money. And I added some extras while I had the lights apart. Specs: Morimoto d2s bi-xenon-5500K, Switchback angel eyes and amber demon eyes.

Ill try to get some night shots but my camera is not the best in the dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks great. I actually drove my van in the dark for the first time tonight and found the high beam was good but the low beam was a little weak. Now you need to start making these for us!

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW , those look great .
Do you have a lot better light at night than the oem lights.
Can you tell us more about your retrofit ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks great!!! Do you get the dreaded headlight alarm for 20 seconds every time you start up the van??? :crying:
Would also like to know more about what's involved for installation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
When one of my stock headlight bulbs go out, I will put a pair of Sylvania SilverStar bulbs in. I have no problem with the stock ones but But I do like the silver stars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I swear you people all suffer from night blindness! the stock headlights are just fine for on road use and do not blind oncoming traffic.
It gets worse as you get older. I used to have no problem when I was younger but at 36 I have a hard time seeing at night, especially in the rain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The transit has H11 factory bulbs and the projectors were designed for H4, so the hole in the reflector housing had to be enlarged to 35mm. The headlights are sealed with permaseal so there are not easy to open up butcan be done, patientsis a key.

I used to get the headlight out warning all the time with the leds. I was able to add a canbus adapter to the new wire harness to eliminate the warnings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It gets worse as you get older. I used to have no problem when I was younger but at 36 I have a hard time seeing at night, especially in the rain.
Wait, what? Is that a typo, did you mean 'at 66'? 36 is younger, fer cryin out loud ... :D. J/K, eyesight can deteriorate at any point in life I guess. I have been avoiding riding motorcycles at night b/c my night vision is not what it used to be. I may also have to improve the lighting in my van once I have some seat time in her at night.

ACE

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not a fan of "projector" lights, either OEM or aftermarket. I find them to be blinding when encountered in traffic. Obviously have no vote in the matter, but nonetheless I wish folks wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive got a couple of night shot for comparison , a Low beam and High beam. Unfortunately I dont have any factory ones to compare with.
Your retrofit looks great! I'd love to do the same at some time in the near future. I assume you used "the retrofit source" for your conversion? did you have to bake the lights apart? any other mods required aside from enlarging the hole to allow the projectors to be mounted?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a fan of "projector" lights, either OEM or aftermarket. I find them to be blinding when encountered in traffic. Obviously have no vote in the matter, but nonetheless I wish folks wouldn't do it.
With a completely new setup proper aiming is required. I think they would blind people less. They have a very solid cut off line and about a 5" down step on the driver side for oncoming traffic.

I assume you used "the retrofit source" for your conversion? did you have to bake the lights apart? any other mods required aside from enlarging the hole to allow the projectors to be mounted?
I did buy everything from them, they had the best pricing I could find. I baked the light every so often just to keep the plastic warm and to help keep the lens from cracking. Mainly I used a heat gun to focus the heat on the area I was working on. No other mods for the d2s and I think the morimoto H1 would fit without any modifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to hear. I've been buying "burner" kits from trs for years. I think it's about time I do a bi-xenon retrofit for myself. I helped a friend do a set of tundra lights a couple years ago so it shouldn't be too nerve racking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Because I am "old" and learned to drive with tungsten filament round sealed beam headlights I find the stock headlight to be more than adequate.
Too many people that upgrade their headlights do not get them properly aimed afterwards. If they did "old" would have nothing to do with this thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Batman - your retrofit looks awesome and seems like a significant upgrade. I'm planning on tackling it soon - just wondering which parts you used (retrofit source has an overwhelming number of options), if you'd do anything differently if you were going to do it again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Batman - your retrofit looks awesome and seems like a significant upgrade. I'm planning on tackling it soon - just wondering which parts you used (retrofit source has an overwhelming number of options), if you'd do anything differently if you were going to do it again?

Thanks!

This is exactly what I ordered.

2 x Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0: (Round Lens/LHD), 2 x Shrouds, 2 x 35w / D2S: Morimoto XB Ballast, 2 x D2S: Osram 66240 CBI (5500K), 2 x Canbus: H11/H9/H8/880, 1 x Black: RetroRubber, 2 x 110mm: Profile Pivot Ring w/ Driver (Switchback), 2 x Mini MotoHolD2rs, 2 x Demon Eye: Profile OneColor (Amber), 2 x Demon Eye Bracket - Mini D2S 4.0

If I were to do things again I probably wouldn't get both demon eyes and halos. The halos or headlights are so bright you cant see the demon eyes. I mounted the halos inside the shrouds so that's not helping. I think if the halos were mounted like normal, outside the shroud, they wouldn't interfere but the headlights still would. So the demon eyes are more of a running light feature. I think I could have used the amber of the halo as a running light instead as a turn signal. But its done and Im very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did an projector HID upgrade on my 2015 F250. The light was definitely better than stock and looked cool but meh. Didn't think it was worth the effort and cost. Maybe the Transit is easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts