Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Gas versions are cheaper than the Sprinter and diesel versions of each are close in price.
The Ford will have less expensive parts and can be serviced/repaired in many more locations than a Sprinter. Should definitely have lower operating costs than a Sprinter. Nothing exotic about Ford whereas the Sprinter has some very strange design "features".

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think that the convenience of having a Ford vs. a Mercedes does count for something, especially with a vehicle that people will be using more for work.

@orton

Which design "features" are you referring to exactly?

·
Registered
539 Posts
i'm kind of scared of what i might have to go through with it being a mercedes and would actually feel much more comfortable going with a Ford

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I think that the convenience of having a Ford vs. a Mercedes does count for something, especially with a vehicle that people will be using more for work.

@orton

Which design "features" are you referring to exactly?
Driveshaft that does not have replaceable bearings. You have to buy complete $800 dollar assembly.
An automatic transmission that is not an automatic. You must shift it manually to prevent engine from running at 99% load.
Lug wrench that bends before wheel bolts loosen
Wrong material choices.
Plastic side moldings that leak water into interior
Drive shaft hanger bearings without a dust seal
No temperature guage.
Junk tires.
Rear doors rattle
Fuel filter buried inside engine.
Air conditioning indicator light on when air conditioning off.
Inadequate rear sway bar.
Rust
Odd electrical design

There is more but the above is what comes to mind as a starter.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Lug wrench that bends before wheel bolts loosen

Fuel filter buried inside engine.

Air conditioning indicator light on when air conditioning off.

I read about the lug wrench early on so I carried a breaker bar and socket. Never had to use it, but I was prepared.

Not only is the fuel filter buried, but it requires replacement every 10,000 miles! It's a full hour of labor at German luxury car rates, and if you don't do it you'll walk home rather than limp home.

I got used to light on meaning A/C off, but I heard that it's been changed to conform to normal now. So probably no longer an issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
most of your typical internet commentary comes from people with no interest in purchasing said vehicle It always makes me giggle reading the comments section of a mainly commercial van that take the mickey on the basis of styling. FEck its not a fashion accessory its a god dam VAN!

·
Registered
539 Posts
most of your typical internet commentary comes from people with no interest in purchasing said vehicle It always makes me giggle reading the comments section of a mainly commercial van that take the mickey on the basis of styling. FEck its not a fashion accessory its a god dam VAN!
I see it all the time and makes you wonder why the heck are they even posting about it, some people don't have anything better to do lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It is a Very Good Van. Better than the Econoline.
If you don't like it,go buy something else.
They made Econolines for 50 years,not like you can't find one anymore?
Buy a Chevy or GMC, it the "old" design
The "inside GM" website knows GM better make a move fast to deal with the "new"van market.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
IMHO, all vans made these days have about the same reliability, be it a Sprinter, ProMaster, or Transit.

However, what happens when it breaks, and the failure modes are the killer.

A Sprinter has an electrical issue or the DPF gets clogged, it means finding a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer. Not just a dealer, but one that sells Sprinters. Then comes the Mercedes prices for parts, and the luxury car prices for the wrenching.

A Transit has a problem, a Ford place that sells vans is likely a lot closer, and Ford parts tend to be a lot cheaper than imported German parts.

A good example of this are PATS keys. I can buy a Ford PATS key for $9 (well, around $12-15 with shipping.) I then can add the key to the ignition system myself, assuming I have two other valid keys.

Want a new key for a Sprinter? Couple hundred for the key, not to mention taking it to the dealer to have it programmed. How about the DPF. On a Ford F-350, it is a couple hundred bucks. Sprinter? I've seen $3200.

This isn't to say that Sprinters are junk. It is just the fact that when something breaks, Ford parts are a lot easier to come by than MB/FL parts. Ford and Dodge prices are a lot easier on the wallet than Mercedes prices.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
mlts22, if you want to see a startling parts price disparity again, check out the difference between the EGR valve prices on the new 3.2 Puma diesel vs the OM642 Sprinter V6.....

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Another example with PATS keys: Something happens, and I have to have my vehicle rekeyed. With Ford, I ask the dealer to hook up a terminal, wait 10-20 minutes (security delay), purge all keys out of the computer, enroll two keys, and from there, I can easily add up to six more (total of 8.) Probably one hour of billable work, no parts required other than two new keys and maybe new lock cylinders. I lose remotes, I can easily purge all the remotes off the system, no dealer required.

I lose keys on a Mercedes... well, that is a major control module physical replacement, and I will be looking at middle quad-digits at the minimum for the part, much less the service required. If I lose remotes... same thing. Off to the Mercedes dealer with a bag full of greenbacks.

I will say that the Mercedes may be more secure... but there is a bang for buck point, and I'd rather have 99.999% secure than 99.9999% secure, but have to pay a lot less to keep things maintained if keys get lost or I need new keys added.

·
Registered
241 Posts
on the whys of buying A, B, or C...

When my wife and i were in the final stages of pre-purchase-research we'd narrowed things down to Chevy or a Sprinter for conversion. For us the deal-killer on the Sprinter was the closest dealer/shop ~120 miles away. We liked the Sprinter for what we could have built inside, but my mind kept me up at night recalling what i'd read about those who had found themselves miles from a shop while on vacation and in need of a fix.

Soooo...we went American for the first time in my buying history (first car in 1976) and have been happy with that decision. Now, looking at the possibility of Van-Two i find myself gravitating toward American again...this time the Transit (though i've not ruled out the PM and see it as more Euro). Since i don't plan on purchasing for a while (realistically ~2017/19 model) I might even have the choice of an AWD Transit...the dear wife would luv that.

Thom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts