Ford Transit USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
410 Posts
@surly Bill @Rolf @TarpitCarnivore
I am really disappointed in you guys. Not one single mention of fake beadlock wheels, preferably black.

Seems that there may also be some extra cred' points for grey paint? bunk windows? coin flooring? or are those just a general camper van aesthetic. Can't tell since I am on the East Coast.
I really like the Avalanche Grey, but got Oxford White, I have a collection of surfboards
and I was thinking when I put my Van order in how my lite gray surf board got pretty
hot and i would cover with board bag if I was taking a break on warm summer day,
the white boards just got warm , that was my reason getting white

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Personally I went with the gray (hipster?) paint simply because I didn't want white...and a darker color would probably soak up too much heat. Seemed like a middle ground.
Of the choices of factory paint, I'd go with gray. I'm a trendsetter, I liked primer or battleship gray 20 years ago, it just wasn't offered. Now, it seems like every company has a glossy primer gray. Oddly, I'm kind of "feeling" non-metallic forest green, or British Racing Green if you will...

Reactions: amwbox

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think with the unaffordability of housing today, more people are turning to vans. Not necessarily because they embrace full-time van life, but there's something to be said for the added safety and privacy of sleeping in a locked steel can rather than a Harbor Freight tarp…
You got it right, Checkmate. I’m experimenting right now (out of necessity) just trying to sleep in a Kia Sedona Minivan and I hate everything about it (except I do have two 2 power sliding doors which I’ll never get in a Transit). It is just one step above living on the street. I have to laugh at so many YouTubers that glamorize van life as this cool and freeing lifestyle (and some are staged). I don’t care if you have a decked out Sprinter with radiant floor heating and a billion watts of solar, at the end of the day you are living in a can. For some that is ok, but for many it is very, very difficult. Watch the vids out there of van life folks who are going crazy and hate it and don’t know what to do next. It is really sad. Van life will grow and will be accepted as affordable housing…and soon to come with a clever usage/carbon tax of some sort.

·
Registered
104 Posts
@surly Bill @Rolf @TarpitCarnivore
I am really disappointed in you guys. Not one single mention of fake beadlock wheels, preferably black.

Seems that there may also be some extra cred' points for grey paint? bunk windows? coin flooring? or are those just a general camper van aesthetic. Can't tell since I am on the East Coast.
dammit youre right. i also forgot the light rig

·
Registered
580 Posts
Of the choices of factory paint, I'd go with gray. I'm a trendsetter, I liked primer or battleship gray 20 years ago, it just wasn't offered. Now, it seems like every company has a glossy primer gray. Oddly, I'm kind of "feeling" non-metallic forest green, or British Racing Green if you will...
Just twenty?
I had you pegged as an old fart .

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Just twenty?
I had you pegged as an old fart .
I've been rocking this ride for 15 years/200K miles now. I must be a fashion vanguard!
Note: "rare" LX trim = no roof rails, steel wheels and manual sliding doors.
Maybe I should update the look and paint the hub caps black? (Deleting them was nixed ages ago).
Not my Transit, photo was to easy navigators concerns regarding purchase of a larger van.
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Land vehicle

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am not sure its peaked - I think its more a product of short supply, high prices and economic uncertainty. What I do know is that I LOVE the high gas prices. It was so nice having the giant motorhomes and diesel gas monsters off the roads and out of the forests this year. I will gladly pay $6 for gas so I can actually enjoy the wildness and not have to deal with a flood of quads, SxSs and people bringing their mobile condominiums into the camps. I have been able to go everywhere this year and have the roads and back country hiding spots to myself.

That aside, I am seeing a lot of Transits in AZ , UT, ID. Although Sprinters and Transits are VERY hard to come by - most of the stock available goes to Amazon, and what is left is not great for building into adventure vehicles. No one I know wants a passenger van with seats, rear AC and full glass - they are all after MR cargo vans with dual alternator, locking diff, and base interiors. Dealers are not ordering many of those. Nothing worse than having to STRIP an interior before you even convert it - not to mention the waste of materials. Or worse - settling for something you don't really want but that is all that is available.

I have looked around AZ for cargo vans for customers from MB & Ford - very, very , very hard to come by. What is there is basically unusable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Van craze must be over. M-B is killing the Metris. 🤪
This always seemed like a weird market segment for them. The Connect had already been around to establish itself as a good small use work van, and you barely see the PM City's. Yet why would anyone go for a Metris as a family van when very well established mini-van models had been around already and for likely a lot less.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
This always seemed like a weird market segment for them. The Connect had already been around to establish itself as a good small use work van, and you barely see the PM City's. Yet why would anyone go for a Metris as a family van when very well established mini-van models had been around already and for likely a lot less.
The ones that were purchased as family vans were done so for only one feature. The giant tri-star on the grill. Well I think they might have a higher towing capacity than a mini-van, but that is miniscule market.

The reviews I read all said they sucked compared to the established minivans. I think for commercial purposes they were expensive compared to the others and with some options could be into Sprinter price territory (pre-pandemic). It's probably hard enough to be successful with a goldilocks vehicle size strategy. If the pricing/quality/features are not there then it's sure to be doomed. I'd bet the Transit Custom is a better proposition and Ford rightly so(?) has determined it would not be profitable in the US.

I do wonder if minivans (or sedans) will ever become popular again.

·
Registered
6-23-22 2023 XLT T-350HD Wagon EB AWD Avalanche Grey with all safety and tech options except PSD.
40 Posts
You got it right, Checkmate. I’m experimenting right now (out of necessity) just trying to sleep in a Kia Sedona Minivan and I hate everything about it (except I do have two 2 power sliding doors which I’ll never get in a Transit). It is just one step above living on the street. I have to laugh at so many YouTubers that glamorize van life as this cool and freeing lifestyle (and some are staged). I don’t care if you have a decked out Sprinter with radiant floor heating and a billion watts of solar, at the end of the day you are living in a can. For some that is ok, but for many it is very, very difficult. Watch the vids out there of van life folks who are going crazy and hate it and don’t know what to do next. It is really sad. Van life will grow and will be accepted as affordable housing…and soon to come with a clever usage/carbon tax of some sort.
I currently have a 2017 and a 2020 Pacifica. The '17 belongs to my wife but the '20 and I have been on some grand adventures. I lived in it for 22 days straight on a solo trip around the perimeter of the United States. It was great and in no way terrible as you describe living in a mini van. You go to truck stops for showers and other then that you are free to do whatever from the van. It is also SO much easier to stealth camp from a minivan because nobody expects it unlike with those bigger Transits, Sprinters and Pro Masters. For me, getting a Transit to replace my Mustang is all about making it easier for my family to come with me on adventures as I had to spend quite a lot on hotels of questionable quality on our recent trip. Having two adults and two children in a minivan is quite too much for sleeping arrangements so we were forced to use motels. Also as I said, even your more basic and disgusting Super 8 or Motel 6 will cost a lot and leave you in a crappy part of town or in a bed bug infested room. We simply do not want to experience that again so the bigger van will allow us to sleep in the van so we dont have to focus as much on where to sleep and dont have to waste most of our budget on motels. We can have longer vacations that cover more distance for less money.

·
Registered
6-23-22 2023 XLT T-350HD Wagon EB AWD Avalanche Grey with all safety and tech options except PSD.
40 Posts
I am not sure its peaked - I think its more a product of short supply, high prices and economic uncertainty. What I do know is that I LOVE the high gas prices. It was so nice having the giant motorhomes and diesel gas monsters off the roads and out of the forests this year. I will gladly pay $6 for gas so I can actually enjoy the wildness and not have to deal with a flood of quads, SxSs and people bringing their mobile condominiums into the camps. I have been able to go everywhere this year and have the roads and back country hiding spots to myself.

That aside, I am seeing a lot of Transits in AZ , UT, ID. Although Sprinters and Transits are VERY hard to come by - most of the stock available goes to Amazon, and what is left is not great for building into adventure vehicles. No one I know wants a passenger van with seats, rear AC and full glass - they are all after MR cargo vans with dual alternator, locking diff, and base interiors. Dealers are not ordering many of those. Nothing worse than having to STRIP an interior before you even convert it - not to mention the waste of materials. Or worse - settling for something you don't really want but that is all that is available.

I have looked around AZ for cargo vans for customers from MB & Ford - very, very , very hard to come by. What is there is basically unusable.
Not everyone is of the mindset of not wanting a passenger wagon for a conversion. I ordered a 350HD wagon. It may be more difficult to do a full conversion but there are a lot of people out there like me that dont necessarily want a permanent conversion. You can rip out the entire interior to sound proof and insulate and then put all the panels back in and have the factory fit and finish while still being quieter and better insulated from the added kilmat and thinsulate. Yes the factory passenger interior does eat into your available space significantly but you can still do quite a lot with the available space. You can still have a "garage" where you can house a battery system and propane, you can still do a east to west bed setup, you can still get maxxair fans, you can still take a fridge/freezer with you and still have storage in your garage area for stuff while still maintaining the basic factory fit and finish for life between trips. My second row bench will always stay in my van for my kids and whenever I am between trips it might be nice to have my third or even my 4th row of seats in the van for taking other family members or friends with us on day trips. The 5th row will stay out permanently for my van though. Also, having all of those windows isnt necessarily a bad thing especially if you give them a 5% ceramic tint. Will allow you to still see out while making it less of a fishbowl experience and the tint will aid with thermal rejection. After that all you need to do is craft some window covers with Low E and thinsulate to aid even more with thermal rejection/loss and even better privacy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
EV vans - For a while the main appeal will be in - town contractors and utility use.
I think your assessment for the near term is correct, but EV vans might make significant inroads once more range with the ability to charge on the fly becomes a reality. Some might already be trying aftermarket hacks, and suspect it wouldn't be long before a safe / reliable pathway to make this happen is easily repeatable by just about anyone.

^ if this becomes a reality, I think it'll be a game changer; whereas we might not have seen anything yet as far as market expansion.

As far as "stealth" goes: I think it's more of a continuum + number game sort of thing vs. an all-or-nothing proposition. A roof fan might be a dead giveaway to a small handful or those who spend the time to inspect closely, but if it's all that's visible on the exterior of a stock van, most would think it's a work truck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wondering with the increased number of camper vans for sale lately on this site, have we reached the top of the mountain and are descending the other side? Is it just a fad and next year at this time will there be a glut of used Transits for sale? Just wondering.....:unsure:
Don't know about others but i'm starting to think about selling mine. I bought it to convert and use full time to cycle Rail Trails and do some hiking in different mountains around the country but thanks to medical reasons I may have to abandon it all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wondering with the increased number of camper vans for sale lately on this site, have we reached the top of the mountain and are descending the other side? Is it just a fad and next year at this time will there be a glut of used Transits for sale? Just wondering.....:unsure:
I waited for a Transit but then easily got into a ProMaster. Looking back I can't say that the features I wanted in a Transit are all that important to me now. I bought something ready-to-go and it's not perfect or without challenges, but it's instantly great adventure. Just back from circling Lake Michigan and it was awesome. At the only grocery store around in the Upper Peninsula, many vans were coming and going, but not a single Transit. Since our maiden voyage to Florida last month, we have been up and down all of I75. You can see the comradery and excitement. It might be a fad but I would say not close to over.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
With the advent of "work from anywhere" and the oldsters opting to live like gypsies on their meager retirement (or social security, if they were dim enough to think that was a retirement plan...), there will always be a segment that are vanbumming their way along. And because monkey see/monkey do, others who never considered it before will try it. But, I think some of the monkeys will find out that it's just not suited to their lifestyle.

Is the "craze" over? probably close to, if not past, peak-craze. At this point I don't see a sudden glut of DIY campervans flooding the used car market; I'd predicted that would happen at the end of the pandemic. I guess we're not at "the end" yet, though. But, people are starting to go back to their offices and schools and such, so the restrictions that made vanbumming popular are ending.

·
Registered
597 Posts
We are at the Lander, WY, free camping area, which is essentially an informal parking lot with trees, toilets, and a pleasant river. Six PM's, three Transits, two Sprinters, and literally dozens of cars that people are sleeping in.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
410 Posts
We are at the Lander, WY, free camping area, which is essentially an informal parking lot with trees, toilets, and a pleasant river. Six PM's, three Transits, two Sprinters, and literally dozens of cars that people are sleeping in.
All the folks in the cars are they traveling campers, or homeless people encampment parking??

121 - 140 of 182 Posts