Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
If Ford ever catches up with demand, then they could very quickly create new demand by building 159 WB HR vans that don't look like the extra sheet metal was tacked on as an after thought.

EV vans - For a while the main appeal will be in - town contractors and utility use.
That may be your opinion, but the shorter wheelbase makes it much more drivable in cities than 170WB Sprinters, and opens you up to parking at the edge of parking lots in normal spaces too (if you back it in).

For where I use the van, the 148WB + longer overhang makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't most vanlifers default to boondocking, off-grid places like the slabs, etc and more off-season times? I'm still waiting for Ford to build me something to daily drive/work/camp in. EcoBoost AWD seems better and cheaper than a 4x4 sprinter and more reliable than the (not even available in 4wd/awd promaster), so I'll stick with Ford. Begrudgingly. For now.
I’m not sure if I’ll call myself a “vanlifer” or something else. We have been RV’ing for 30 years in 5 different travel trailers, including our current 30’ “glamping” trailer. When we were toting the kid along, we always looked for nice campgrounds with lots of amenities. In the last year we started considering downsizing. But even a much smaller travel trailer still comes with all the towing hassles, horrific mileage, and limitations on where one can park it, refuel it, turn it around, etc.

Our van should be built in the next week or two. We’ll sell the trailer and the F-150 EB (love that truck - owned a truck for the last 40 years), with the van having to sit in as our 2nd vehicle. I like building things so we’ll turn this van into everything we want.

We’ll see how successful we are. Will we then become “vanlifers”? Not sure. Maybe more like “vanglampers”.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Will we then become “vanlifers”? Not sure. Maybe more like “vanglampers”.
I think that's an important distinction, there's also van living as a lifestyle choice and van living as a necessity.

I doubt the latter has gotten any better, with the rate home affordability has nosedived. The difference is unless you go looking, these people aren't all over social media gabbing about their vans, as it doesn't generate good social media content.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So... is it dead? Or is it moving into a really high-budget model with less volume? I think the latter.
Great analysis! As camper van owners, we really should ask ourselves why we chose a comparatively tiny footprint for our recreational vehicle. They are easy to drive and park. Vans with AWD or 4X4 will take you places that 90% of RVs will never see, if that's what you want to do. Fuel economy is better than most other rigs. OTOH, living space (sq ft/$) is ridiculously expensive and limited when compared to any other RV type. Rainy days, hosting guests, private bathrooms for real people are all challenging. We make compromises everywhere to accommodate the features we want.

I just looked at the Flarespace site - they have the Megaflare for Transits now. $7800 including windows and trim rings but no installation or paint. Say $10K if you hire it out. For 10K, you get ~6 sq ft additional interior space. Makes Manhattan lofts seem affordable.

So, to answer my own question...We sold a larger motorhome and bought our Quigley because we were tired of poor build quality, extremely limited capability off pavement, inability to use as a second vehicle, etc... My wife and I have had a lot of fun building it to our criteria and we learned a bunch along the way. Our build (van + conversion) probably cost $80K. It is immensely capable on bad roads, has significant electrical power capacity, comfortable bed, inside storage for our bikes and kayak. Our camping duration is limited largely by water capacity, though we have a purification system as a backup. We don't have AC, a shower, or seating for guests. Those were compromises we were willing to make. For us, the Transit was the right choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
As expensive as they have become, vans are still cheaper and simpler than boats with comparable living space. A Transit with Quigley or Quadvan can get to some places that are pretty incredible.
I dunno, some of those pontoon houseboats are pretty cheap and have a lot of room. Kinda stuck wherever you have it delivered, though. And if that place was Lake Mead or Powell, you're running out of space!

• Haha
Reactions: gregoryx and harryn

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
327 Posts
Hi there Gregoryx, I have a question for you…I’m a senior citizen and disabled. After exhausting the last 75 K out of my savings to buy a Transit to hopefully live in, my sole income will be just what I receive from social security. If I fail at being able to convert the van into a safe RV to live in would this put me in your “Dirt-Baggers” group or “DIY” group?
SierraGal , you will get your Van and you will do fine converting it to your liking,
who cares what some one might label one group of life style..income..or whatever
its all bunch of bs, for Me I think I am more on the dirtbagger side :)

·
Banned
320 Posts
some of those pontoon houseboats are pretty cheap
Still more expensive than vans. Source: me, a former boat-lifer.

Incidentally, some of the modern pontoon boats are real fun and capable. From Richmond you have many potential destinations: South Bay, Sausalito, Angel Island, Petaluma, Vallejho, Stockton, Sacramento, the whole Delta.

Probably a large pontoon boat could even transport a van. Think about it.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Still more expensive than vans. Source: me, a former boat-lifer.

Incidentally, some of the modern pontoon boats are real fun and capable. From Richmond you have many potential destinations: South Bay, Sausalito, Angel Island, Petaluma, Vallejho, Stockton, Sacramento, the whole Delta.

Probably a large pontoon boat could even transport a van. Think about it.
And possibly a good way to survive a zombie apocalypse.
Some friends and I already have plans to get boats, raid the Costco along the shore, and hole-up on Angel. Until the zombies walk on the bottom of the Bay or float randomly to the island, of course. Everyone should have contingency plans for Zombie Apocalypse.

Other than RHIBs and diving off them while being shouted at, I have no boat experience. Oh, I have a kayak. I hear that boat ownership is a sign of financial success, and/or mental illness. But, what if you don't OWN it, you "borrow" it?

edit:spelin rong

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Not my department, but likely you can find gentlemen in your town with a great deal of relevant experience.

My advice for WROL anti-pirate security carry semi-auto long guns and plenty of ammo. Or just anchor in Tiburon.
I doubt the professionals in my town have much yachting experience. Boats are one of the few things that don't have to be bolted down, cuz they have no idea what to do with them. I'm thinking that Thurston Howell III will have become a zombie and have no more use for his boat, so "borrowing" is more like "retrieving".

OK vanbums, hypothetic question:
Zombie apocalypse, the rupture, global pandemic of fake disease, radiation event, or some other scenario resulting in the stark fist of retrieval/removal taking 95%+ of people, do you go out and "retrieve" your dream van, or since there are no limitations, do you set up a different vehicle or set of vehicles? We're talking Mad Max, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes remake situation. How dedicated are you to the "van" platform?
Human body Organism Gesture Happy Font

• Wow
Reactions: SierraGal

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
327 Posts
Did early morning Drive to store down hwy 101 about 5 mile and saw about
4-5 promasters one was ready made rv the rest was white home conversions
so many Promasters this summer?? Maybe it was a group road trippers :unsure:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I doubt the professionals in my town have much yachting experience. Boats are one of the few things that don't have to be bolted down, cuz they have no idea what to do with them. I'm thinking that Thurston Howell III will have become a zombie and have no more use for his boat, so "borrowing" is more like "retrieving".

OK vanbums, hypothetic question:
Zombie apocalypse, the rupture, global pandemic of fake disease, radiation event, or some other scenario resulting in the stark fist of retrieval/removal taking 95%+ of people, do you go out and "retrieve" your dream van, or since there are no limitations, do you set up a different vehicle or set of vehicles? We're talking Mad Max, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes remake situation. How dedicated are you to the "van" platform?
View attachment 176674
Mad Max in the Mojave.

·
Registered
137 Posts
...OK vanbums, hypothetic question:
Oh Bill, I just love your posts 😘... I'll play... Removal of 95% of people sounds very much like the “Deagel.com 2025 forecast” an event that causes a massive population reduction in 2025. (Recently removed from their site, but there are still places to find the original forecasts) DEPOPULATION
Well I don’t have the best luck/timing with things…so just about the time I finally get a van and get it semi built out, I could see an EMP event of some sort take place and leave all of our vans toast…everything with microprocessors toast. Interesting times we are in.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
OMG! How will we make toast?!
Will life be worth living?

Good point on this post-apocalypse vanlife aspect. Maybe a pre-1980 vehicle would be the best choice to doll up to impress other vanners if you ever come across one? Shoulda kept one of my Greenbriers!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror

• Love
Reactions: SierraGal and Rolf

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
AndyL; the hypothetical without the fluff of circumstance is:
If money, time, and space were not barriers, would you still go with a van, or would you outfit something else?

This is all falling on the premise that you still want to be a hermit crab, and carry your home on your back. Talk about a home-base with vehicles coming and going dilutes the conversation (gotta draw boundaries or I'll be all over the place).

Personally, I think I'd get something like a Fuso 4x4 and build it up. Adding winches, and a cow-catcher so roads could be cleared. I guess a multi-vehicle, such as loading the Fuso onto a barge, would work.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive tire

I think I found the right combo, but different truck:
Water Boat Vehicle Watercraft Naval architecture

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,563 Posts
Good! You communicate at the level of a grade schooler. You should stay in your bubble.
Time for you to take a 7 day break, get rid of your pent up anger, and see if you can be a forum member with a positive contribution when you come back, instead of trolling constantly and insulting people. See you in a week.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,563 Posts
More than half of the posts in a thread called "Has the Camper Van Craze Peaked?" were completely off topic. If you folks want to discuss vaccines, go to a vaccine forum. If you want to talk about government conspiracy, go to a tin hat forum. if you want to discuss sheep, go to a sheep forum.

This is a van forum. It's that simple. If you can't figure it out, we'll start banning repeat offenders.

·
Registered
137 Posts
...If money, time, and space were not barriers, would you still go with a van, or would you outfit something else?
That Fuso looks like a Survival Beast, way cool 😎 but it would be a dead give away the mindset of the person driving it. I like that big boat thing and having a some kind of off road van/jeep/ATV on board. The plain white stealth van idea also....at least to survive in a city or flee from a city. If money were no barrier, I would also look at a helicopter or plane...there are so many small dirt air strips in these hills and NV desert.

·
Registered
137 Posts
More than half of the posts in a thread called "Has the Camper Van Craze Peaked?" were completely off topic. If you folks want to discuss vaccines, go to a vaccine forum. If you want to talk about government conspiracy, go to a tin hat forum. if you want to discuss sheep, go to a sheep forum.

This is a van forum. It's that simple. If you can't figure it out, we'll start banning repeat offenders.
Hi there GapRunr, it is a pleasure to meet you 🙂. Thank You for a wonderful forum and being an administrator here.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts