Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Has anyone installed a DSP?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  T22A80 
#1 ·
I’m struggling with my audio set up. Currently I have a lci2i, fosgate amp 50w per Chanel, JL components and it sounds like crap. Highly dissatisfied with the jl speaker that distort at half level and they really lack brightness to them. Took out the LC2i and got better using hi level inputs.

Think about installing a DSP but have no clue how to tune it. Anyone with experience on that?
I also saw that PAC makes a harness which plugs into your factory radio but they don’t seem to make one for the Transit.

I have a transit 2020.

#3 ·
Not really. As far as my understanding goes our HU has an internal DSP which truly sucks since it send the signals highly modified creating a bad signal but as a consequence preserves the oem speakers.
Then there are a few amps that have a DSP and most don’t.
Then as an alternative you can buy a DSP which is mainly used for vehicles where the owner wants to keep the stock HU but has a bad/crappy signal from it. Example transit.

#4 ·
I've been perusing the DSP options. Haven't found the right mix of features and price to satisfy this application. I think the microphone-based setup is ideal; but those come in 7-channel, $1K type of units and I don't need that.

I'm assuming the minimum tuning will require an external EQ at least; but, again, haven't selected one I feel good about. Yet.

I can't even make up my mind what the budget for this is. For door speakers, sub, amps, and processor of some kind, probably over $1K, but... more than $2K? Hopefully not.

#6 ·
That’s one I was considering however I have no clue how to tune these things. I have zero experience with DSP and worried I won’t understand what I’m doing.
It’s frustrating cause my econoline had 2 polks 2 way and a Sony HU and a little powered sub. Thing sounded amazing and just perfect.
This pos transit HU I’ve bought a bunch of thing (rabbit hole) amd can’t make it nearly as good

#7 ·
I tried doing all that and even my pro audio guy would not tune a dsp that i wanted. So i went with a pioneer head unit, morel amp, steg amp for sub and steg speakers. I did not like having one 12 sub because of the size of the box. I opted for 1 10 focal. Placement is key and at the rear driver side works best.

#9 ·
Have you looked into using a Kicker KEY amp? They aren't super expensive and have a built in DSP with a microphone to take the guess work out. The guys at 5 Car Stereo (look them up on YouTube) installed one active (so mids and tweets get their own channel on the amp) ran the built in DSP and they said it sounded great. Like was said before if you're looking for brighter sound look for a tweeter with a metal dome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.