Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2021 HR Crew Long
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster here. We just picked up our Crew Van a few weeks ago and one of the first things we want to do is move the 2nd row a little further back to open up the "lobby" area. I want to have the option to move the bench back and forth so I'm thinking about installing another set of tracks from a passenger van.

Has anybody gone through this process? Any thing to watch out for or think about? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Registered
Well that location for 2nd row is set by the airbag operation. It is the same as a pass 2nd row. what you could do is put in third row brackets (in the third row spot) and move the seat there. Keep in mind the air bag will be totally ineffective in a crash. To some folks that is not on their radar. To install factory mounts where none exist now will require welding in the reinforcements and captured nut on the underside of the floor. You will also need to remove the gas tank to do this. It is being done by some folks just know where the liability ends and the amount of fab work to relocate those seat mountings. An alternative is that some up fitters use a different mounting system and aftermarket flooring to give adjustable seat positions. Try searching this forum for them. Welcome to the forum. Some folks switch out the 62" 3 seat for an xlt 54" seat to give an access. Check with CrewVanMan on here about this approach. That is what I did.

Registered
2021 HR Crew Long
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies @Racerb and @Paulmorabito. I already switched the 62" 3 seat bench for a 31" 2 seat from an XLT. Definitely increases the access space but looking for more of the lobby area so the kid can play there. Not too worried about the airbags as the 2 seat bench is easy to move and will probably do when we drive.

@Racerb - Do you have the name of the mounting system you mentioned?

@Paulmorabito - can you post some pics of your set up? I can't dm yet :)

Registered
鈥21 148 HR Ecoboost AWD Crew Abyss Grey
I swapped out the factory crew seat brackets (red dots) for passenger seat brackets (blue dots) to allow for 3 rows of seating. My 21 crew van had the factory threaded fittings I just had to drill out the flooring sheet metal to access them. I purchased a double seat for the 2nd row and run the triple seat behind. @CrewVanManInfo was very helpful with figuring out which brackets would work.

Factory brackets:
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Wood Musical instrument accessory

passenger bracket:
Wood Flooring Shotgun Engineering Luggage and bags

factory threaded fittings
Fixture Automotive tire Wood Grey Gas

triple seat in the rear 3rd row position (2nd row points are hidden under the mat)

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Chair Vehicle

Super Moderator
I swapped out the factory crew seat brackets (red dots) for passenger seat brackets (blue dots) to allow for 3 rows of seating. ...
great idea!(y)

Registered
Thanks for the replies @Racerb and @Paulmorabito. I already switched the 62" 3 seat bench for a 31" 2 seat from an XLT. Definitely increases the access space but looking for more of the lobby area so the kid can play there. Not too worried about the airbags as the 2 seat bench is easy to move and will probably do when we drive.

@Racerb - Do you have the name of the mounting system you mentioned?

@Paulmorabito - can you post some pics of your set up? I can't dm yet :)
I looked for awhile for the threads that were posted and could not find them . I do have a lot of difficulty with search phrases. But, there were a couple of systems that used a standard track system imbedded in a composite flooring with positions every 2" or so for a couple of feet similar to etrac bit it was much smaller. L TRAC is what it was.

Registered
I swapped out the factory crew seat brackets (red dots) for passenger seat brackets (blue dots) to allow for 3 rows of seating. My 21 crew van had the factory threaded fittings I just had to drill out the flooring sheet metal to access them. I purchased a double seat for the 2nd row and run the triple seat behind. @CrewVanManInfo was very helpful with figuring out which brackets would work.

Factory brackets:
View attachment 168295

passenger bracket:
View attachment 168296

View attachment 168301

triple seat in the rear 3rd row position (2nd row points are hidden under the mat)

View attachment 168297
Thanks for that info. I have seen a very few Cargos with the mounts and a lot of cargo's without. As I was thinking about this it occurs to me the only cargo's were windows all around. I suppose Crews might be a better candidate for getting those nut plates too. Any how Another Thing learned today. Look first to see if they might be there.

Registered
2021 HR Crew Long
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Factory brackets:
View attachment 168295

passenger bracket:
View attachment 168296

View attachment 168301

View attachment 168297
This looks great! Exactly what I'm looking to do. Question, where did you get the blue dot seat brackets? Do yo happen to have a part number?
Also, did you remove the plastic trim below the window? Mine came without out and my dealership is questioning whether it should have come with one or not.

Registered
This looks great! Exactly what I'm looking to do. Question, where did you get the blue dot seat brackets? Do yo happen to have a part number?
Also, did you remove the plastic trim below the window? Mine came without out and my dealership is questioning whether it should have come with one or not.
I would reach out to @CrewVanManInfo on the brackets. I bought mine from him along with the necessary hardware. I鈥檓 not aware of a part number I was just using the colored dots to identify.

as for trim, yes it was removed in that photo. Mine came looking like this.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Registered
Is SmartFloor one of the flooring systems that @Racerb was referring to? If so, I looked at it a while ago and it is pricey but looks nice.

Registered
this product looks as it was the basis for an off road up fitters production. It was adapted with differant brackets on the stock seat.

The system shown here uses an aftermarket seat. Not what I saw . Wish I could remember or find the thread. It used L Track and OE seats with a modified attachment.

Registered
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive design

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

this is what I came up with. 2鈥檟4鈥 10gauge plate that鈥檚 attached to oem nuts. Then I鈥檒l weld second rail to plate for seat. I鈥檓 setting it up for another single later if I choose too. Floor is the hard rubber horse mats. I really like the feel and durability
hope this helps. Cheers Paul

Registered
2021 T-350 Crew AWD HR 148"
Is there a reason you went with the single long brackets rather than a front and back bracket on each location? We would like to get a third row in our crew as well. Thanks!

Registered
Is there a reason you went with the single long brackets rather than a front and back bracket on each location? We would like to get a third row in our crew as well. Thanks!
After looking a the cost of a custom install, I wanted to be able to utilize the factory mounting points and avoid fabrication. This seemed to be the most cost effective way to accomplish a 3rd row.

I鈥檓 not absolutely certain, but I don鈥檛 know that you would find another bracket that would fit in that location. Check out people who have stripped a passenger van and you can see the floor bracket layout

Registered
Great thanks. I want to use the factory mount and DIY, so just trying to figure out the best way. I can gaurantee my kids would trip on the brackets between rows though and get mad at me haha

After looking a the cost of a custom install, I wanted to be able to utilize the factory mounting points and avoid fabrication. This seemed to be the most cost effective way to accomplish a 3rd row.

I鈥檓 not absolutely certain, but I don鈥檛 know that you would find another bracket that would fit in that location. Check out people who have stripped a passenger van and you can see the floor bracket layout

Registered
Hey guys, first time poster here. We just picked up our Crew Van a few weeks ago and one of the first things we want to do is move the 2nd row a little further back to open up the "lobby" area. I want to have the option to move the bench back and forth so I'm thinking about installing another set of tracks from a passenger van.

Has anybody gone through this process? Any thing to watch out for or think about? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
I stumbled across the company that did the floor with a track system . INLAD by US UPFITTERS.
Ranger Design.

Registered

Factory brackets:
View attachment 168295

passenger bracket:
View attachment 168296

View attachment 168301

View attachment 168297
Did you have to drop the gas tank to get access to the mounting nuts on the drivers side? And did you just drill those out from the bottom once you figured out which ones?

Registered
Did you have to drop the gas tank to get access to the mounting nuts on the drivers side? And did you just drill those out from the bottom once you figured out which ones?
I didn鈥檛 have to mess with the fuel tank (extended range) at all. The rear center track bolts were close to the tank, but there was adequate room to work around it. There isn鈥檛 a frame member in that area so it was a matter of adding a piece of steel plate there to reinforce the floor a bit. I can get a pic of this later today if you want to see the area.

As for drilling, yes I did pilot holes from below and finished them off with a stepped bit from above.

Registered
I didn鈥檛 have to mess with the fuel tank (extended range) at all. The rear center track bolts were close to the tank, but there was adequate room to work around it. There isn鈥檛 a frame member in that area so it was a matter of adding a piece of steel plate there to reinforce the floor a bit. I can get a pic of this later today if you want to see the area.

As for drilling, yes I did pilot holes from below and finished them off with a stepped bit from above.
Ok thanks! And you just used the factory mounting points though right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts