Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
My charger is mounted over the driver’s side rear wheel well so I just used the documented grounding points just to the rear of that wheel well to save cable length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
For others who may have a similar question...https://sprintervanusa.com/2016/09/16/12-volt-electrical-systems-for-vans-the-basics/
(See the section on Linking things together)...I also cross-posted this question on some other threads, and at least one response on another thread points out some of the trade-offs on using a common negative via the chassis, particularly the potential for ground loops and the like.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I avoided the need to ground the house electrical system. The house system is independent from the vehicle. Just happens to sit in a van but would function the same if it was fully removed and set on the driveway.

That system is possible because I do not directly connect the house battery to the vehicle battery for charging. I have a second inverter powered by the vehicle 12 volt system that provides 120 volt AC when the engine is running. That AC can power the shore power charger. The disadvantage of the system is I can not use the house battery as a backup to a dead vehicle battery. I can turn on the house inverter and use a 5 amp trickle charger to recharge the vehicle battery.

The 1000 watt vehicle powered inverter is mounted behind the driver seat and powered by the CCP terminals. The inverter negative is connected to an existing hole in the emergency brake mounting bracket. No issues in 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,088 Posts
Would anyone have any pics they could share showing the location of grounding point no. 25 (2018 BEMM) somewhere behind the front passenger seat? Thanks for the help.
Since this informative thread came back up, I noticed that the original question was never answered. Here are pics of the Ford recommended grounding point #25 between the front seats.
located under the tip of the blue pry tool:

under the edge of the carpet/mat:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts