Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grinder or Jigsaw for cutting out a roof vent? I'm seeing Jigsaw in most of the posts but father in law is suggesting grinder.

What are your thoughts? Pulling the trigger tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
either, it depends on what you're most experienced with. Jigsaw for most people. Use a good, new blade. Carbide is nice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would definitely use a jigsaw. Worked well for me.

Reactions: Bargeman

·
Registered
2019 150 mid roof (base)
54 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Blade for thin metal, high rpms, least aggressive angle. You don't need snips/shears even if it might be the best tool. I've now cut 5 big holes in my van with a jigsaw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whichever solution you pursue, be sure to cover (cardboard is ideal) surrouding areas of the hole. Hot, sharp shards can damage the paint clear coat, especially if left unswept.

·
Registered
14 Posts
drill a hole to start, electric shears, no mess. I was going to use a grinder on mine but the thought of sparks on the polyiso discouraged the idea. Did my first with jigsaw, worked okay - lots of metal shavings to clean up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
another Vote for Jig saw, worked fine for me, put tape down on and around the cutting line to avoid scratching the paint. I think the grinder would generate too much heat and damage surrounding paint.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A jigsaw will give you better control if you're not used to handling an angle grinder and the shavings are coarser and easier to clean up so you don't get steel dust that rusts all over the roof of your van (the hot dust burns into the paint and hangs on even if you try to sweep/wash it, making it rust later). Use a bag like sportcoupe mentioned and you won't have any issues.

Reactions: EddieZ

·
Registered
384 Posts
drill a hole to start, electric shears, no mess. I was going to use a grinder on mine but the thought of sparks on the polyiso discouraged the idea. Did my first with jigsaw, worked okay - lots of metal shavings to clean up.
What gauge is the transit body? I like the electric shear idea. Willing to own a good set considering the amount of customization I plan to do, but is 14-15 gauge enough? 18+?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Back in the day I installed 100's of sunroofs and windows in vans that had heavier gauge metal then the Transit. Buy your self a good quality Kett shear. Practice first put a little soap on the metal if you are making curved cuts. Rent it to another vaner to off set cost. They last a long time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Kett sheers are best. I used a jigsaw with good results. I've used my angle grinder with a thin abrasive blade for this sort of thing before. With a deft touch it makes a nice cut. The big problem for me is with all the sparks it's hard to see and follow the line with precision. --Frank

·
Registered
197 Posts
The jig saw is also going to be the easiest to control. The metal sheer is OK on straight cuts, but on corners, the tighter the radius, the harder it is to be accurate. A cutting disc on an angle grinder is the least desirable option due to heat buildup and debris getting thrown everywhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts