Ford Transit USA Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit High Roof 250
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
GRIFFIN – 2018 Ford Transit 148" HR Campervan Conversion Adventure Rig

I love fall camping! Been to busy to finish some van projects but finally back at it to finish the final cabinets and walls. Also working on some custom window covers. (I officially hate sewing )

Should have several more build videos posted soon as well.

A little lunch on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Finally getting around to finishing the walls in our van. Decided to do them last rather than first. Still not sure if this was a good or bad idea. Saved some weight in areas where you can’t see the walls but fitting them around existing cabinets, bed, etc is a pain. Left the indent for our mattress on our bed so we can sleep width wise.

Not finished with the wall paneling but added a counter extension/desk/dog bed cubby. The extra countertop space is great and allows us to put our propane stove lower down to cook on. Extension is removable with 5 bolts and allows our second row seat to be installed.

Also finished the last bit of electrical with the installation of the last 12v outlets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more build videos! I would love to see all the stuff you've added since the floor video as well as how you put it all together as I want to do a similar floor plan. Also great photos!

Reactions: Munky

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Adjustable mountain bike mounts. Uses aircraft L track.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Finished the passenger side wall paneling and a small cubby hole for storage. We are using as much of the width of the van as we can for the mattress and created foot wells for sleeping sideways in the van.

Umbrella holder has come in handy. The lower desk/counter also works great with our camp stove to get the burner height lower down and more aligned with the kitchen sink counter height.

Got creative with the trim piece to cover the factory wire loom. I didn't want to rewire it all to move it.

Cut a groove in the wall to stash the factory wire loom so the wall paneling would lay flat. It's a unique solution but it worked.

We have a final kitchen upper cabinet to finish. Then just minor trim work and finish wrapping the metal pillars with foam and fabric.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice uses of bungee cord throughout your build! Some ideas I’ll likely borrow...

I like the peg board with bungees over your desk - did you build that or is it commercial? The cords with hook ends are a nice idea - do you know if they’re available separately?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Awesome build. Why did you go with the 250 rather than the 350 when you ordered your van? (Sorry to be so late to ask this question.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Nice uses of bungee cord throughout your build! Some ideas I’ll likely borrow...

I like the peg board with bungees over your desk - did you build that or is it commercial? The cords with hook ends are a nice idea - do you know if they’re available separately?

Peg board and cords are actually from IKEA. They work well for getting small things out of the way and secure.

Reactions: dttocs

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Awesome build. Why did you go with the 250 rather than the 350 when you ordered your van? (Sorry to be so late to ask this question.)

I considered the payload capacity versus projected build weight based on others before me. Didn’t see the value for the added cost of the 350. If we had got the extended version I would have got the 350. With the longer tail and added body weight the payload capacity would be of concern.

Reactions: JKCalhoun

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Building Garage Cabinets

Finally set some time aside to edit the videos from our van build. Here is how we started our garage cabinets. Click here or image below for the video!

Reactions: Larseski

·
Registered
34 Posts

I came to the same conclusion. Even with a significant water tank on board, the weight out of a camper conversion won't likely approach a weight that would require a 350 for payload. (Although FarOutRide came right pretty close with an extended length with a lot of wood build out: https://faroutride.com/weight-summary/) A 350 will, however, take off some towing capacity. Seems counterintuitive, but more weight on the main vehicle means less weight on the tow vehicle (cuz same engine). Some on here love their 350 dualies though, and I understand the love for extra stability.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I came to the same conclusion. Even with a significant water tank on board, the weight out of a camper conversion won't likely approach a weight that would require a 350 for payload. (Although FarOutRide came right pretty close with an extended length with a lot of wood build out: https://faroutride.com/weight-summary/) A 350 will, however, take off some towing capacity. Seems counterintuitive, but more weight on the main vehicle means less weight on the tow vehicle (cuz same engine). Some on here love their 350 dualies though, and I understand the love for extra stability.
The choice of a 150, 250 or 350 all depends on the intended use. Some live "in" their van and some live "out of" their van. Using the same conversion added weight and payload weight criteria as listed on the FarOutRide website my 150 weighs on CAT scales as follow:

TRANSIT 150 EMPTY WEIGHT: 5510 lbs
CONVERSION ADDED WEIGHT: 765 lbs
PAYLOAD WEIGHT: 950 lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT: 7225 lbs

CONVERSION ADDED WEIGHT + PAYLOAD WEIGHT: 1715 lbs
MAXIMUM CARGO WEIGHT LIMIT: 3037 lbs

In the past 19 months we have spent a combined 8 months/32,000 miles on the road living "out of" the van and remain very satisfied with my Transit 150 choice. https://www.instagram.com/eccentric_beekeeper/

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Installing Bike Drawers

Here is a video on the start of our installation of bike drawers in our camper van. We'll have a detailed build article up soon to go along with the video. This is the initial construction of the drawers. We will show the installation in a later video as the garage cabinets need to be completed before we can actually mount them permanently.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I see a mount on the left for what looks like the same maintenance bike stand from Amazon that I have yet to install. Would love to see a photo of it in use with a bike clamped in on this recessed mounting point.

It is great following your build and getting ideas!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I see a mount on the left for what looks like the same maintenance bike stand from Amazon that I have yet to install. Would love to see a photo of it in use with a bike clamped in on this recessed mounting point.

It is great following your build and getting ideas!

Ask and you shall receive. It works pretty good. Holds road bikes easy and even the heavy full suspension mountain bikes. Behind the plate is 2x4 supports that are attached to pretty sturdy cabinet framing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice set up on the repair stand.
It looks like if you put a block behind the mounting plate to move it further out towards the rear door you might gain enough clearance between the pedal and the bumper to spin the crank.
Looking forward to the sliding tray install video.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Nice set up on the repair stand.

It looks like if you put a block behind the mounting plate to move it further out towards the rear door you might gain enough clearance between the pedal and the bumper to spin the crank.

Looking forward to the sliding tray install video.

Thanks. Picture is probably deceiving because we can spin the cranks in the current configuration. Both on the road bikes and mountain bikes. Have used the setup at a few races and it’s worked out great.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts