Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm waiting for the new Transit to hit the show room. I was told last week that by the end of February for the Connect and end of June for the full size.
I hope they are as nice in person as the photo's show.
Todd

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Hi,

I'm waiting for the new Transit to hit the show room. I was told last week that by the end of February for the Connect and end of June for the full size.
I hope they are as nice in person as the photo's show.
Todd
The one I looked at at the LA auto show was nice. Did not see anything that I did not like. The question is how does it drive? Looking at the specifications, I did notice that a rear swaybar is not listed. I suspect the van will understeer. That probably can be corrected with an aftermarket sway bar addition. My 08 Sprinter had a small rear sway bar which I removed and replaced with a 1 1/8" bar. That improved the handling.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had no complaints with my '08 Sprinter's handling, it lived up to all I had ever expected from it.
The rust spots were anticipated but still ridiculous, the other quirks I learned to manage.
If the Transit drives as well and feels right for my use (travel van/stealth camper) I'm sold.
If it's closer to a Ram Promaster forget it, I'll go with another Sprinter.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think the best thing for us to do is to just keep an eye on rust that starts and make efforts to stop it or pro-long the process. Best thing to do.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It's also poor technique when adding stuff to the sheet metal. The rust below the plastic molding in the slider after five years is fairly typical, and don't believe folks that say metallic colors are more corrosion free.
O.K. so for some reason it's right side up in my photos but upside down here, so if you don't want to flip your device just look above the molding in the slider.
No excuse for that poor assembly technique.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
It's also poor technique when adding stuff to the sheet metal. The rust below the plastic molding in the slider after five years is fairly typical, and don't believe folks that say metallic colors are more corrosion free.
O.K. so for some reason it's right side up in my photos but upside down here, so if you don't want to flip your device just look above the molding in the slider.
No excuse for that poor assembly technique.

My 08 Sprinter is non-metallic Graphite Gray. No corrosion but I do live in Calif. without salt. Do notice that any chip or wear point in the paint shows white under the exterior color. Maybe the optional colors have an additional coat over the base white? I do see that Longboard did not have a white Sprinter. I suspect that the Ford will have a much better paint job.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What are other common rust area on the sprinter? haven't payed much attention to them but will look out next time.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This was posted in the Sprinter forum a few hours ago:

After a 4 mo. wait, I just picked up my 2014 crew van SS (short, short). For being the smallest Sprinter you can buy, it is HUGE. I know the dealer wants me to feel good about my purchase, but I was told that with the 2014, Mercedes has addressed the rust issue with a zinc dip, extra primer, and wax in special areas of concern, as well as a clear coat in other than the standard white. I was also told the build quality was improved in regards to fit. Also, possibly, the crew and passenger vans may benefit from not being taken apart and reassembled. All this was from the dealer after my purchase was complete. And of course, living in an area of no road salt is bound to be beneficial.

Followed by this:

You want to address the possible 'rail dust' issue. Tiny metal metal particles that come off the train wheel/track while it's being transported across the continent that land on the paint and sink in. Clay Bar works best.

In case anyone is wondering... most of the Sprinters are on open decks due to size, as opposed to closed one say for sedans, and exposed more. My dealer has some arrive with bullet holes from time to time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts