Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been toying with the idea for years but, after seeing my husband's joy with his used 2016 Transit Connect XLT Cargo van, when the opportunity arose, I bought myself a 2014 Transit Connect Titanium passenger wagon.

The primary needs for this vehicle are to get the lowest possible mpg on a SAFE vehicle with enough room for the two of us and our two 70 pound dogs to be comfortable. I wanted a minivan but not a gigantic minivan.

I'm running into some problems, and looking for any and all tips on how to deal with them:

1) wind buffeting. I first experienced this problem in my 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The 2 dogs LOVE to ride around with their heads out the window (we make sure to keep the windows high enough that they can't fall out). In the Vibe, I realized quickly that I had to crack the front windows to stop the mild buffeting that occurs. The Transit's documentation actually WARNS about this and I now know why - it's extreme. I thought my eardrums were going to break on our first ride. Unfortunately, cracking the front windows doesn't seem to be enough - they have to be pretty significantly open. Is there anything that can be done to lessen this?

2) I did not realize that the 2nd row seats in the Transit don't recline. I was really hoping to start having the dogs ride in the seats (a low step-in height is also important, as one of our dogs is getting less mobile, so I wanted him to be able to step into the floor and then up to the seat). Without the additional space provided by reclining the 2nd row, the two of them will NOT be comfortable limited to just this row, I'm afraid. So I'm resolving myself to probably having to flatten all seats for them. However, this leaves them riding up high, and I'm unable to strap them in (we won't put them in crates in the back despite the risk as crates have their own risks and take all the joy out of car rides, for them). I am considering a barrier behind the front seats - but the way the floor is covered by the seat backs leaves gaps and places where their feet can fall into some of the holes left by the seatbacks. I'm thinking of getting some high density foam that I can cut up and stuff into the crevices, but would love to know if anyone else has done anything (besides plywood) do solve this problem.

3) I'm not sure I can fit this sucker into my garage! Didn't even occur to me that this would be taller than a minivan (we had a 2005 Toyota Sienna in the past) and we live in a ranch with an exposed basement and "drive under" garage so height is limited. I would think my garage door height is "standard" - my van has 17" wheels on it. Do the 16" wheels make anything more than a (at most) 1" difference in the height of the van?

Some of these might seem really stupid to some of you - I get it. I'm just kind of bumming out that I moved on this van so fast and now have these things to work through, so I'm looking for tips from experienced owners, if there are any!

Thanks
Cara

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Unfortunately, cracking the front windows doesn't seem to be enough - they have to be pretty significantly open. Is there anything that can be done to lessen this?
Try opening the front windows DIFFERENT amounts, or one front one rear (if it exists - sorry, not familliar with the Connect). Sometimes this is enough to counteract the tendency of a vehicle's interior air pressure to resonate.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'd been toying with the idea for years but, after seeing my husband's joy with his used 2016 Transit Connect XLT Cargo van, when the opportunity arose, I bought myself a 2014 Transit Connect Titanium passenger wagon.

The primary needs for this vehicle are to get the lowest possible mpg on a SAFE vehicle with enough room for the two of us and our two 70 pound dogs to be comfortable. I wanted a minivan but not a gigantic minivan.
edit
Some of these might seem really stupid to some of you - I get it. I'm just kind of bumming out that I moved on this van so fast and now have these things to work through, so I'm looking for tips from experienced owners, if there are any!

Thanks
Cara
Cara,

Please do not think that my response is an attempt to kick you off of this forum You have posted a question here about a TC. You have every right to be here and ask questions about your Transit Connect Although some members here believe that giving you information about a Forum made up of members for your specific brand of vehicle, a Transit Connect, rather than a Forum made up of all the categories of Transit available and primarily focused on the full size Transit, is wrong, I don’t.

So if you choose to want to know of a Forum where the membership is focused on one type and category of vehicle only, the Transit Connect, where other TC owners may have the same questions you do, you can click on one or both of the below links. ? BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO, please don’t think you are being forced to visit that Forum if you don’t want to. It is your choice.

Good Luck in your search to answer your questions.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
USMC Vet. I appreciate the info. I'm a little confused, though. At the top of this page, I see "breadcrumbs" saying this is the page on which I posted:
Is that not "TC specific?"
Cara,

Yes it is specific enough for this forum.
My intent was not to confuse you, but offer you an option to find answers. Please re read my post.
You are more than welcome to stay here and ask questions of members who mostly have the full size Transit and aren't familiar with the characteristics of the smaller TC's.
As I said above, the 2 provided links are forums that are exclusively for TC's. Your choice to ask questions there from owners that only have TC's, or here.

Either Way, Good Luck

Semper Fi

Reactions: surly Bill
1 - 5 of 5 Posts