Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early stages with my 2019 148" WB HR van. I picked it up lightly used with 13k miles, it had been an Enterprise rent a van. I picked the 2019 MY mostly because it came with cruise control as a standard option. I am in Norcal, but had to go to LA to get it, because for some reason I could not find any HR non extended vans close by after looking for months.

I have the floor in with 1" rigid foam board and 1/2 inch plywood over it. High quality loose lay sheet vinyl with fiberglass backing. Really nice.. It is about 5mm thick and lays flat without glue. I used two sided tape to secure it and then 2" aluminum angle stock on the edges for durability. I had thought about vinyl plank flooring until I read about many folks having it warp and buckle in vans with temp changes. I think the sheet is really more waterproof as well.

Insulated the roof with 1" polyiso secured with Xcel zero voc instant grab adhesive and taped the seams with reflective tape. I did not use spray foam as the adhesive because it is so messy. For the curved front part of the roof I used 10mm foil faced soft foam with self adhesive. Also used that on the wheel wells. Will use a mix of polyiso and thinsulate on the walls.

Have the maxxfan deluxe installed. Going to put in a Motion Windows half slider rear panel drivers side that will be just above the platform bed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks good! Did you do any kind of strips in the valleys to even out the floor or lay the rigid foam across all of it?

Where in NorCal? I'm near Albion, if you know where that flyspeck is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put strips in some of the valleys, but not all of them. Did not really seem necessary to fill every one.

I am in Grass Valley. I have driven through that stretch of Hwy 1 through Albion, though honestly the name did not ring a bell at first. It is a beautiful area.

I got a hearty laugh out of your satirical build thread by the way! I might even use some of your ideas while construction is in progress.

I have pretty rough carpentry skills. I can usually figure things out if I set my mind to it. My van is going to be functional but on the rustic side when it is done. It is for camping after all. I am not going for pristine finish work.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. While I am a summer of fooling around camping before starting construction, the floor will be close to the first thing. I am right there with you in terms of not worrying about finish work. I am an excellentist, not a perfectionist.

Oops, forgot to say: I have been through Grass Valley quite a few times but never camping. If you have any spot recommendations, shoot me a PM. Likewise if you are coming to the coast let me know. Albion is a sneeze and you'll miss it place. We like it that way. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a little help today with install of a Motion Windows half slider from the crew at Vanco of Northern Califorina. Great guys and a nice shop with at least 6 conversions in progress, but still make time to help diy'ers with small jobs like this. Saved myself a little anxiety.
20200228_105312.jpg
20200228_105207.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Cooper 245/70 16 LT AT3's. Ride is quite a bit smoother and quieter with the larger diameter. I think this size is what should have come stock. Had one of the stocks put on the spare to replace the temp. tire. I spray painted the wheels ultra flat black with krylon primer last week, instead of new wheels to save some pennies. Looks a lot better with the new rubber and blacked out rims I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My happy place amid the chaos. North-South platform bed uprights and rails installed to fit full size mattress. 2x4 construction. Bolted to the van with plusnuts in existing holes. Foam tape at points of metal to wood and wood to wood contact. Will use 2x3 cross members and 1/2 inch formaldehyde free plywood to finish it.

Looks like I will finally have some time to focus on this project.

A friend of mine said it was too much white and needed some art on the side. I had not considered before, but here it is. I should have called it the Zen Camper build thread. Had a local graphic artist print this Enso (zen circle) up as a vinyl decal. $150 installed. I found it online free and he enlarged and enhanced it a bit.

The insulation is done with the exception of the door panels. 1" polyiso floor and cieling. 2" polyiso window cutouts. Thinsulate 600 the remainder of the walls, nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the lengthwise bed framed up. Long enough for a full size mattress, headboard and footboard. Plenty of armacell foam tape to prevent squeaks. About 4 ft. Left behind driver seat for the galley.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure thing Travelsuit. I just used standard 1/4 20 hex heads, 2 inch. Counter sunk for the uprights. With a flat and a lock washer. At the spot where the rear door opening narrows there just happened to be a couple prethreaded holes that lined up with my 32 inch high rails that take an M6 metric bolt that helped me extend them another 3 1/2 inches or so. I'm considering waiting to screw down the slats and plywood platform until after I get the cieling in and build plywood wheel well coverrs to make that a bit easier.

Are you doing a lengthwise or crosswise bed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Manwithavan, much appreciated.

I am doing my bed lengthwise like you. In fact, we have the same van model so I'll be following your build closely. Looking good so far!

One more question if I may: Do you have an example of the felt tape you used? I googled it and found something more like weatherstripping and that did not seem right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool I will look forward to comparing notes along the way! The stuff I have been using is foam tape pipe insulation from Home Depot. It is a little pricey at $12 roll, but I like it. Felt tape might be cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ello @Manwithavan,

Would love to know how much Vanco charged for the window Installation. Love how low-key it is and how it provides the ability to peep outside the van from the back.

Edit: Oh, and did you supply the window also? Trying to consider the total costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ello @Manwithavan,

Would love to know how much Vanco charged for the window Installation. Love how low-key it is and how it provides the ability to peep outside the van from the back.

Edit: Oh, and did you supply the window also? Trying to consider the total costs. Thanks!

Yes Major Muffins. I brought in the Window and they installed it. It is a half slider from Motion Windows made in Vancouver, WA USA. I have heard they overbuild their windows a bit compared with the CR Lawrence windows a lot of people get which are manufactured in China. The guys at Vanco mentioned that the quality control on the CRL windows is not as good as it used to be.

Vanco installed the window for $200. The window itself cost a little more than that. I almost did it myself but the placement required some cutting of the ribs inside with an angle grinder so the frame would sit flush. I don't have an angle grinder and was not comfortable with using one that close to the exterior steel skin myself anyway. I am going to have them install a larger Motion Window in the door for me soon. Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI: Motion Windows charges $125 each to install their windows. We took a road trip to have it done and it was well worth it.
The gentleman, can't recall his name, really knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI: Motion Windows charges $125 each to install their windows. We took a road trip to have it done and it was well worth it.
The gentleman, can't recall his name, really knew what he was doing.
View attachment 133668
View attachment 133669
Nice! How do you like the window in the door? That is the one I am going to get next.

That was a long trip from for windows from CO to WA!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice! How do you like the window in the door? That is the one I am going to get next.

That was a long trip from for windows from CO to WA!
We really like all the windows, no issues what-so-ever. I'm nearing functional completion of the van (bed frame V3 coming up) so when things calm down, we hope to really get to use it.

We took 2 weeks and visited our son at WSU, got windows installed, did some mtn biking in Oregon, camped in the Red Woods, drove within 100 yards of the fire in Sonoma, got blown around on some bridge near San Fran, visited our daughter in Santa Cruz, and hung out with friends in Cayucos CA.

Yeah it was a long trip, but that is why we bought the van.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good deal. I am also a mountain biker. I decided not to make space for the bikes inside, because I want to be able to sit up in bed. Can't wait to for my first road trip this summer. God willing...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts