Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a very positive experience at a Ford dealer but I couldn't find a thread for posting about it. Thus we have this new thread.

Right now I am in the middle of a trip from Nova Scotia to California. I'm visiting parks and museums, and doing a bit of hiking, biking and canoeing. On a trip of this length the van will need an oil change.

Today I walked into Middlekauff Ford in Twin Falls Idaho and asked if they could fit me in. The service manager David Jimenez had me back on the road with an oil change, new air filter and a report indicating that everything else in the van was fine (including brake pad wear) before I could even complete an email to the folks back home (about my adventures in Yellowstone and the Tetons). And the bill was reasonable.

David was a delight to deal with, and I suspect that he put me right to the head of the line because I was a traveller from a far off land.

Idaho, Twin Falls, Middlekauff Ford, and David Jimenez: You're Number One (In My Book).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well I hate to be negative or burst your bubble but your experience is not the norm when interacting with a dealership service department.
I have only been to the dealer two times since I bought my Transit and both times I have had issues.
First experience was related to the Driveshaft recall, which BTW was not a recall when I went in to tell the service adviser that I had a cracked
driveshaft coupler. He made a wise A***SSS comment like" They read about an issue on the internet and think they have the issue".
I never went back and instead drove 30 miles away from this Dealer to a 2nd Dealer to address the issue.

The second Dealer was much better but they failed to find the TSB rear brake caliper issue I just found myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,560 Posts
I had a very positive experience at a Ford dealer but I couldn't find a thread for posting about it. Thus we have this new thread.
This thread is a good idea, hopefully it won't degrade into people hijacking it with complaints instead - many of us could fill pages if someone wants to start their own my service department sucks thread. Ford dealers rely on people and all of us people suck sometimes.

I've been annoyed with plenty of service experiences over the years, so I'll share a recent uplifting one:
I swapped the tires and wheels from my old Transit (before I traded it) to my new used one and could not get the TPMS trained, so finally went to the dealer, Ford of Clermont, to get them to do it.
The service department was backed up busy, and they wanted me to either make an appointment or leave it for hours which began to make me think I'd be writing a rant about it. As I was beginning to get annoyed in my mind and preparing to go home and order my own TPMS tool, the service director, Scotty McLees, heard the conversation and popped out of the back room, grabbed my keys, and said he'd be right back. He drove off immediately and returned in minutes with it taken care of and sent me on my way.

Thanks, Scotty! 0:)

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
The place I took my van that wiped my keyfob and pad and broke my filler door in the process of doing the driveshaft recall had great people, they are really nice. That's about the only reason I'd go there again for another recall that I'm not able to do at home. If they were jerks, then no. It's easy to be nice to customers, and it's good insurance for future business. A bidnes quote: it's cheaper and easier to get return bidnes than it is to attract new customers.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I have not had any problems with Hansel Ford in Santa Rosa Ca.

I rotate all 5 tires so had to put a sending unit in the spare. Big O tires could not reset the TPMS system so took it to Hansel and they did.

My van had a manufacturing defect so could not be aligned. Hansel could not align it. Right front tire could not be adjusted to the spec. They called in the Ford area engineer and he said the problem was caused by my conversion or the installation of the rear anti-roll bar. Neither of which could affect the right front wheel but that was his excuse. Got the normal "where you pleased with the service you received" email from Ford. I was rather explicit that I was not pleased with the service. Got call from Hansel so I explained the reason for the negative reply. She forwarded the complaint to the service manager and he called and wanted the van back in. He started at Ford as an alignment tech. He could not align the right front using the adjustments. Did not give up. Had to modify the slots and relocate the upper strut mounting holes to get it within spec. Not Hansel's mistake but they put in the effort to fix it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
So they ripped you off on an air filter? How much did they charge? I love being a negative nancy here... But I'm glad they could perform the most basic service possible without screwing that up (make sure you check your oil level and check the filter and drain plug area for leaks).

On my trip from Colorado to Texas to Alaska and Back... I changed the oil in a walmart parking lot in less than 10 minutes.

Ford dealers are garbage. Except I did have a kind of an ok experience at Lake Powell Ford in Page Arizona - I paid $105 for 4 minutes of work but they got me in and out in a couple hours which was good. It was the dumbest little problem that I should have caught.

The Ford Dealer here in Denver tried to keep my van for 7 days to do the guibo recall, I finally worked with them to call me to come in when they ACTUALLY were ready to work on it instead of having it sit there, and then they still didn't record that they did the recall. Idiots.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
... I changed the oil in a walmart parking lot ...
I used to do stuff like that when I was younger but now I just do things that I enjoy.
Me too. That's why I do it myself. I'd much rather do this easy task than drive to and sit at a dealership. And I enjoy saving money. Alot. But to each their own!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I hate to be negative or burst your bubble but your experience is not the norm when interacting with a dealership service department.
That's not true. If bad experiences were the norm, then they'd soon be out of business...and there would be no more bad experiences.

I have only been to the dealer two times since I bought my Transit and both times I have had issues.
First experience was related to the Driveshaft recall, which BTW was not a recall when I went in to tell the service adviser that I had a cracked
driveshaft coupler. He made a wise A***SSS comment like" They read about an issue on the internet and think they have the issue".
I never went back and instead drove 30 miles away from this Dealer to a 2nd Dealer to address the issue.

The second Dealer was much better but they failed to find the TSB rear brake caliper issue I just found myself.
That's because ever since the internet became a thing, people have been showing up at the service counter demanding recalls, service campaigns and technical service bulletin operations that don't even apply to their vehicle. Like the guy with the two wheel drive truck demanding that we replace his four wheel drive front drive axle actuator for free, because he read about it on the internet. Or the guy that came in demanding that we replace all six of the fuel injectors on his four cylinder vehicle for free, because he read something about it on the internet. Or the person that came in demanding that we replace the torque converter on his manual-transmission truck, because he read about it on the internet.

It just makes it harder to get the customer back to the point that they're describing symptoms, instead of making wild diagnostic guesses because of something they read on the internet.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL just outside of Chicago.

Charles Grabus Ford, Des Moines, IA.

Positive reviews for both for getting me in and back on the road for different issues. That was greatly appreciated far from home. Haven't had recurrence of the issues so I assume that means they performed the tasks competently.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's not true. If bad experiences were the norm, then they'd soon be out of business...and there would be no more bad experiences.

That's because ever since the internet became a thing, people have been showing up at the service counter demanding recalls, service campaigns and technical service bulletin operations that don't even apply to their vehicle. Like the guy with the two wheel drive truck demanding that we replace his four wheel drive front drive axle actuator for free, because he read about it on the internet. Or the guy that came in demanding that we replace all six of the fuel injectors on his four cylinder vehicle for free, because he read something about it on the internet. Or the person that came in demanding that we replace the torque converter on his manual-transmission truck, because he read about it on the internet.

It just makes it harder to get the customer back to the point that they're describing symptoms, instead of making wild diagnostic guesses because of something they read on the internet.
Yeah, so since the second dealer could not even check if there was a TSB for my Van I question if they can replace my flex coupling related to the final phase of the recall now due on my vehicle. I service equipment everyday in my business so I understand the processes you have gone through as well. I have designed and debugged Electronic systems for 27 years before owning my current business so Sh**t does happen and sometimes I have to eat humble pie and go away from a job with nothing but a hole in my pocket.

But those type of service calls happen maybe once or twice a year out of about 1,200 jobs. Some of those call back jobs were caused by my supplier shipping be defective parts.

I educate myself and do some diagnostics before I take my vehicle in for repair to the few indie shops I trust. My expectation is that the service manager treat me with respect and not make comments like I do not know anything. Second I expect the dealer or indie shop to do a quality repair job for the money I pay them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
On my trip from Colorado to Texas to Alaska and Back... I changed the oil in a walmart parking lot in less than 10 minutes.

I know you did, the oil stain is still there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yeah, so since the second dealer could not even check if there was a TSB for my Van I question if they can replace my flex coupling related to the final phase of the recall now due on my vehicle. I service equipment everyday in my business so I understand the processes you have gone through as well. I have designed and debugged Electronic systems for 27 years before owning my current business so Sh**t does happen and sometimes I have to eat humble pie and go away from a job with nothing but a hole in my pocket.

But those type of service calls happen maybe once or twice a year out of about 1,200 jobs. Some of those call back jobs were caused by my supplier shipping be defective parts.

I educate myself and do some diagnostics before I take my vehicle in for repair to the few indie shops I trust. My expectation is that the service manager treat me with respect and not make comments like I do not know anything. Second I expect the dealer or indie shop to do a quality repair job for the money I pay them.
I doubt dealer techs ever read the list of TSBs. Not even to see if the customer's described symptoms are covered. In their defense, it's a huge list. The OEMs seem very capable of screwing things up. I once took in an F150. The Ford factory trained techs told me they couldn't reproduce the driveline clunk I could feel leaving every stop. I took the truck home, got on the internet, which a tremendous asset and offers a wealth of useful information, found a relevant TSB, and sure enough, the trans crossmember bolts were loose, with one of them maybe half a turn from falling out. Tightened them up and no more clunk. Dealer techs, in my extensive experience, are by and large useless idiots. Obviously not all of them, but it would be irrational for me, given my experience, to let one get near my Transit. I use my Transit for work. As everyone in business knows, you're lucky to make the right call half the time. The secret to success is in knowing when you've made a bad decision. Taking a work vehicle you make $ with to a dealer for repair is a demonstrably bad decision, so I don't do it anymore.

·
Registered
587 Posts
In the past when I took my BMW to a dealer the service manager would check if there was any TSB for my car as part of the service they performed.
Unfortunately I have no choice but to bring my Cargo work van to the dealer to perform the flex coupling recall. The other more recent recall notices I can do myself and I am also past 60,000 miles anyway.
I am lucky to have found a great Transmission and Body shop in town so after the recall is complete I will not have to bring my van to a dealer. Hopefully we will not have anymore recall notices.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

The single comment that started the giubo recall.
Before this people were reporting minor cracks, And more people were reporting a little over 100,000 miles before the original giubo needed replacing.
Then this comment hit the forum and the internet, And people freaked out!!! Then it just snowballed from there into a recall.
(I have been around this forum since july of 2015, And I bought my Transit in june of 2016.)

tr2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My company owns 11 LWB High Roof 350 Transits. Approximately 2 weeks ago the first of the drive shaft couplings disintegrated on an interstate in New Hampshire. The driveshaft came apart while driving approximately 65-70 mph. One section the fell to the asphalt banging around and destroying everything it hit on the underside of the vehicle. Long story short = repair costs of $10,689.66. The tech in New Hampshire found a large truck serpentine belt wrapped around the driveshaft and suggested that the belt seized up the driveshaft and caused it to separate. Just yesterday another of our vehicles broke down in Joplin Missouri, with the same problem...the driveshaft dropped to the asphalt destroying everything it hit. This tech told us that the coupling had disintegrated, which in turn caused me to Google and I found this forum. The estimated repairs on the Joplin breakdown are $13,217.64!!!
So, for you guys wondering what would happen if the crack causes a disconnection...well here are the results. I have reported these problems to FORD Fleet customer service asking for them to resolve the problems that exist, and for reimbursement of my expenses. If there is a catch bar for the drive shaft to prevent it from hitting the asphalt, it does not work. If there isn't Ford should issue a recall and create one or replace the one that does not work. These are high mileage vans used in the expedited truck industry. The first van to have this experience had 159,102 miles...then one in Joplin Missouri has 140,726 miles.
Obviously many of you have known about the defective coupling. My questions are...
Did any of you make FOMOCO aware of the problem? If so, when were they notified and what was their response?
Does anyone know if they have manufactured a replacement coupler that does not crack?
Does anyone know if there is some kind of catch loop or bracket that should catch the driveshaft if it does come apart?
I have 9 more of these Transits and fear that all of them will have the same problem as the mileage on each climbs.
I will advise the forum the results of Ford Fleet Customer Service investigation and resolution.
thanks
Tom
(140,000 miles before the first driveshaft in history ever hit the pavement with the original giubo!)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts