Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ok, so dealerships put these stickers on various parts of a vehicle as a “theft deterrent” (in case the car is stolen and stripped) but it’s really just a way to charge an extra hidden $200 at the sale. Somewhere on your invoice you will find this fee for a thing you didn’t need and never asked for.

There’s no GPS device on the vehicle, just a tracking number, permanently attached to any valuable parts, that is registered with the company that sells them.

Isn’t that what the VIN is for??

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
It's a deterrent for an amateur car thief. A pro won't even blink at that. I know someone who had his Range Rover stolen from his work parking garage that requires card access, and he had left his phone in the console. They tried the Find My Phone feature but it didn't come up. His phone was set to back up his photos to the cloud so he checked that as well in case the thieves were taking pictures of their new stolen vehicle but nothing was being sent to his cloud storage. 8 weeks later he starts seeing photos of his Range Rover in someones driveway in Russia.

The cops said it was probably already in a shipping container and being loaded on the ship within 24 hours of being stolen.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The amatuer car theif would need a 4 wheels-up tow truck to steal a Transit unless they already had the key. Don't they have chipped keys as standard equipment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so dealerships put these stickers on various parts of a vehicle as a “theft deterrent” (in case the car is stolen and stripped) but it’s really just a way to charge an extra hidden $200 at the sale. Somewhere on your invoice you will find this fee for a thing you didn’t need and never asked for.

There’s no GPS device on the vehicle, just a tracking number, permanently attached to any valuable parts, that is registered with the company that sells them.

Isn’t that what the VIN is for??
Still, a lot of cars are stolen every year, isn't it? I prefer to use independent vehicle GPS track my car. My local dealer suggested using the Trackstar cat6, but I found the LoJack and spytec alert systems to be great too. I am considering using spytec.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I use accutracking.com and am very happy with it. It's OBD II plug and has a lot of features. I've tried other brands as well but this has been the most reliable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 extended high roof cargo.
38 Posts
since the accutracking device is simply an OBD plug, wouldn't it be so simple for a thief to unplug ? if the system was meant to prevent theft.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
If the thief knew it was there, yes. If it was me I would install an OBD-II cable splitter. You can get them with a panel mount like OEM and the port would look vacant. Meanwhile, the other OBD-II port that you could hide up under the dash would contain the tracker.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If the thief knew it was there, yes. If it was me I would install an OBD-II cable splitter. You can get them with a panel mount like OEM and the port would look vacant. Meanwhile, the other OBD-II port that you could hide up under the dash would contain the tracker.
This is exactly what I have on 2 cars. It gives you the open, usable port and the tracker is hidden away in the dash.

The tracker also has a battery and will track after being unplugged as well as let you know immediately that it was unplugged.

Also has GPS fences so you can see when your vehicle enters/leaves a designated area.

It has speed alerts, harsh acceleration alerts and shows voltage, ignition status, and radiator temp (on most vehicles).

I've used spectrum (terrible service and app)
Trackmate GPS (also terrible and required unplug, reset which is not practical)
And AMERICALOC which is a mobile battery powered tracker that you can pop under a car or trailer with a magnetic case for temporary tracking. It works well and lasts about 2 weeks on a charge. You can use it on a generator, riding mower, etc that may be stolen at a remote site. Very handy.

But the OBD tracker gives you the vehicle stats and doesn't have to be charged. It's peace of mind when your loved one goes missing or whatever.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add on to joefromga, I've been using a 4G gps tracker with a splitter cable so that the OBD port looks unused and it's worked a treat for me. in fact, the car was stolen recovered about a month ago.
anyone who is thinking about getting a gps tracker, just do it. There's multiple reputable companies out there in Aus, and I would assume USA has a whole bunch too. PM me for suggestions if you would like.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting conversation and one that makes me glad I live in the boonies where I hardly ever even lock my vehicles. When I was part of the VW Syncro community and the value of these old campers hit the roof a few folks added kill switches to their vans which would prevent the engine from starting. They would typically hide the switches in weird places not easily found. Has anyone done that with a Transit?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A similar discussion came up in the FB group and interestingly enough while running dashcam wires I found a GPS tracking device behind the glove box: AC05 GPS Tracker User Manual M-Labs Technologies, similarly TALONCV001 CDMA vehicle tracking device User Manual TALONCV001 _Rev 2 Montage Systems, . it was split in powered and according to the user manual had GPS and CDMA connection. Only power and ground was connected, so no ignition kill ability. I paid cash for the van new, no window sticker saying it could be tracked, no mention of it, it wasn't a prior lease or fleet vehicle to my knowledge as it was bought brand new. Google tells me some dealerships put them in? Only way I found it is the adhesive velcro strip to hold it wherever it was came off so it was just rolling around behind the glove box.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I currently use the AMERICALOC which is the mobile unit and the ACCUTRACKING.COM which is the OBDII units . I'm satisfied with both services.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts