Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prolly a curse from looking for a deer-ready bumper...

Took out the driver's side of the bumper; but mostly pretty superficial. Scattered parts of the van and the deer across the freeway. Interstate 5 middle of the Marine base; of all our travels, that is NOT where I'd have expected this.

Thankfully, doesn't appear to have affected the structural stuff or even touched the wheel.

Back to reconsidering that heavy-duty bumper option... 馃

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Registered

Took out the driver's side of the bumper; but mostly pretty superficial. Scattered parts of the van and the deer across the freeway. Interstate 5 middle of the Marine base; of all our travels, that is NOT where I'd have expected this.

Thankfully, doesn't appear to have affected the structural stuff or even touched the wheel.

View attachment 172351
Big bummer! I think that is a curse from your previous post which I do remember. Best wishes getting it all fixed. I think you've had your fair share of bad luck with the last few incidents, so should be blue skies ahead.

Registered
2016, MR, 130"
Dang! Bummer. May the repairs not cost a fortune. Time to revive that thread. I should get one too!

• Haha
Reactions: gregoryx

Registered
2015 2500HD double cab w/ long bed 4x4 6.0l gas
Looks like the deer definitely got the worst of it.
As far as bumpers, I remember reading somewhere (here?) that a heavy-duty bumper, if it is more than superficial, bypasses the crumple zones on a unibody car and transfers the force directly to the sub-frame. So I thought it was counterproductive. Did I miss something?
Sorry about your van though. Take it to the body shop you think is best, not just the one your insurance agent recommends.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More importantly, how's the deer?
Bit dark in the video... but somehow there seemed to have been pieces of deer flying away behind us. 馃

I-5 at Pendleton is no place to go collecting road-kill venison... so maybe the highway patrol got it? 馃

Looks like the deer definitely got the worst of it.
As far as bumpers, I remember reading somewhere (here?) that a heavy-duty bumper, if it is more than superficial, bypasses the crumple zones on a unibody car and transfers the force directly to the sub-frame. So I thought it was counterproductive. Did I miss something?
Sorry about your van though. Take it to the body shop you think is best, not just the one your insurance agent recommends.
That was one of the conclusions I / we came to in that other thread about deer-ready bumpers. And it's pretty clear what the options are now that the bumper is peeled away: if it bolts in behind the crush-cans, that force would've gone straight to the "frame" piece that holds the engine And to a sturdy rod that connects to the front of the A-arm mount. So... hard to know if that might have meant more than superficial damage... I'm still undecided. Now I'm wondering if I can find a metal bumper that USES the crush-cans. 馃憖

Registered
2015 2500HD double cab w/ long bed 4x4 6.0l gas
Now I'm wondering if I can find a metal bumper that USES the crush-cans. 馃憖
This might be rehashing an old conversation, but wouldn't a massive rigid body attached to your crush zone just send the whole bumper into your vans face? At least at any appreciable speed I think it would. I think you're just second guessing it.

Registered
there are probably bumpers/"brush guards" that have springs, gas struts, or air cushioning to absorb some of the force. Or there should be.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This might be rehashing an old conversation, but wouldn't a massive rigid body attached to your crush zone just send the whole bumper into your vans face? At least at any appreciable speed I think it would. I think you're just second guessing it.
That's the challenge. There are 2-3 attachment methods for after-market bumpers or brush-guards. The really beefy setups are bolted behind the bumper crush-cans. Others are really flimsy - just brush guards that look cool.

But the question becomes whether it's better to risk that or not. As an example, we now have no cruise-control because the sensors are trashed (and even disabling adaptive doesn't bring it back). A beefy bumper might have saved that. And in the case we just had, would have probably not hurt the van - since the deer basically glanced off the bumper at the corner. But in a straight-on... yeah... that's the calculus of the thing. 馃

there are probably bumpers/"brush guards" that have springs, gas struts, or air cushioning to absorb some of the force. Or there should be.
The big semis have those on their big ExGuard bumpers. But those setups are HUGE and I haven't seen (nor would I want) one for the Transit.

Maybe there's some confusion on "crush zone" versus "crush can" as well. There are two blocks that are bolted (and spot welded) between the fore-reaching "frame" components and the bumper bar behind the bumper cover. The are a welded part of the stock bumper (the metal part behind the cover). For whatever reason, the high-end "guards" bolt behind these cans - directly to the "frame" portion - and don't attempt to replicate the crush-cans in the case of bumpers like Aluminess that replace the front bumper. So... now we're sacrificing a $3000 aluminum bumper with any impact... and risking transferring any force to the "frame" rails.

Yeah... that's the conflict. 馃

Registered
A guy hit a (small) elk with his Aluminess bumper. Probably a pretty similar hit to this one? More glancing off the side. Bumper had a bit of a dent on it, but that鈥檚 it. So for a hit like this, probably fares better with a bumper than not.

Personally, I still think a beefy bumper is better than not for a deer hit. Although some simplified energy calculations give good food for thought.

If you take a van that weighs 4000kg (~9000lbs), and a deer that weighs 136kg (300lbs), and kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2

A 5 mph crash of the van into a stationary wall would result in a energy dissipation of about 10,000 J. This is what the stock bumper setup is (hopefully) designed to take without causing damage to the frame.

A 10 mph crash bumps the energy up to about 40,000 J.

A 25 mph frontal crash (which doesn鈥檛 always total a van?) is close to 250,000 J. These are the energies where you really start to see the frame deforming to save the occupants. 50 mph crash is 1,000,000 J.

Hitting a deer dead on at 55 mph has about a 41,000 J energy of impact. Reduce to 40 MPH - energy goes down to 27,500 J.

So in theory, you might be damaging your frame with a dead-on deer hit? But the energies of a deer hit are much lower than any other crash at any sort of speed above parking lot speeds. You might tweak the frame rails a tiny bit with a dead-on deer hit? But probably not much and I doubt it鈥檇 total the van or cause a lot of problems. Even The frame mounted bumpers will likely deform/bend a bit too depending where the hit is, which will absorb some energy so it doesn鈥檛 all go into the frame. Side hits are always a lot better than read on, much easier to deflect the deer and energy away instead of absorbing it all

I talked to a guy who fabbed up big steel bumpers (like ex-gaurd) for a security transport company in Montana because they hit so many deer in their Transits. Seems to indicate they helped, not made things worse.

Registered
2016, MR, 130"
I always thought the Ex-guard's for the Transit were kind of cool, But not cool enough where I went out and bought one.

Anybody ever request a quote to find out what they cost? I hate that, why not just list the price.

Registered

View attachment 172351
Awww snap. Sorry to hear! I hit a dear 20 years ago going 70mph on the interstate and somehow managed to ride up and over it with virtually no damage. Still not sure what happened.

These vans are fun but I swear I break something on every trip. I hope insurance covers it!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts