Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a side note; Goal Zero made the 1200 model specifically for Costco. I managed to pick up a 1200 on sale for about $100 off during their 4th of July sale.

If the 1200 works for you then you might check on Costco's website to see if there's a sale going on.

I don't live in my van and most of my outings are 3 days but so far it has had plenty of capacity running a fan, various lights, and charging phones, etc.

-Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Mike,
Thanks for the tip on Costco. I will keep an eye out for their sale. I’m waiting for an REI sale as well. Still not sure what model Goal Zero to get.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The REI November sale catalogue is out now with the 20% off coupon included. Use code GEARUP2019 if you are a member. Rei Coupon details
I believe it can be used on the Goal Zero products in stock.

For what it's worth, Costco online no longer stocks the Goal Zero 1200or other bigger battery units.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Even with the link accessory the 750W charge rate from the alternator amounts to less than 15 amps which is about half what I am shooting for. But i can see the benefit of a simple install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the 20% off REI coupon. Now to decide on dual 1400’s or a 3000. Will definitely get the MPPT and or Car link charging unit, 25amp fast charge as well.

GZ states that on the 1400, charge from alternator with link kit is 450-750watts. How do you get the 750 watt charge from alternator???.......whereas the 3000 charges at 750 watts. Any idea how to get the max charge rate from alternator on the 1400?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I am jumping in with both feet. I just ordered a 3000 Lithium. It seems Goal Zero is not able to keep up with demand for the power stations. The accessories are available, but the stations themselves are a bit hard to find. I snapped up this 3000 while I saw one in stock. I am planning to run it to a fuse box using the 40A max output accessory. I also plan to use the Link car charger, the 25A AC fast charger, and the Boulder 200 portable solar setup.

I would love to see how people are storing the Yeti. I plan to have mine on a sliding shelf behind a drawer, to make it easy to remove for storage or service access.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We’ve been running a GZ Yeti 3000 for over two years now. We drive ours via 400W solar input - no connection to the van electrical otherwise. Ive looked into options for using excess solar to charge the van batteries but I haven’t found a very clean way to do this. The Yeti works really well considering the variable environment in a van. Be prepared to take it inside when temps drop below approx 25F, and expect it to overheat when van temps hit 105F. The overheating results in a more intense fan noise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My local upfitter mentioned that the reason he wouldn't recommend something like a Goal Zero is that when the batteries go out, you have to replace the whole thing. I think he said that the batteries usually last 3-5 years and are only a couple of hundred dollars to replace in a traditional build. I know he has a dog in the fight, but I have never felt like he has tried to pressure me to hire him over doing things myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Per the Yeti site, "On our Lithium power stations, we offer a battery replacement service (we don’t sell/ship the battery alone) and are currently working on publishing the process and costs. We anticipate it will cost 50% of the cost of replacing the entire unit and that will include shipping back and fourth."

If this thing dies in 3 years I will be displeased, but I find that unlikely. Also, according to my research, 280Ah of lithium batteries (the capacity of the 3000) will be a few thousand dollars, not a few hundred.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, that was not for the lithium batteries. They will last longer, but cost more to replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes on the CCP on the side of the driver seat and then grounded at the point in between the seats.
Knarfly,

How did you deal with the short cable length of the ring cable - designed to stretch across a battery, not halfway across a van? The distance between the positive and negative leads is about a foot, but the distance between the CCP and the ground point between the seats is about 3 feet.

Options?
1) Find another ground point
2) Splice my own cable
3) Ask GZ for a custom cable
4) Use the actual battery negative post if the cable reaches

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Knarfly,

How did you deal with the short cable length of the ring cable - designed to stretch across a battery, not halfway across a van? The distance between the positive and negative leads is about a foot, but the distance between the CCP and the ground point between the seats is about 3 feet.

Options?
1) Find another ground point
2) Splice my own cable
3) Ask GZ for a custom cable
4) Use the actual battery negative post if the cable reaches

Thanks,

Mike
I grounded to the point in between the seats on the floor, but thought about using the parking brake. I cut the wrap so I could separate the wires and reach CCP and Ground Point, and it left me just enough to connect to the GZ, although I also have the extension cord.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts