Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very curious??? What is advantage to connecting Goal Zero to alternator vs just plugging it in to the 12v outlet at the back of the van while I'm driving? THX -N

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a good look at your users manual. Mine states that the lithium battery can't be charged directly from a 12vdc source. I don't think the 13+ volts that comes out of the 12 vdc outlet is adequate. It wants 14-22 vdc, I think.

Check this link: Yeti Link Expansion Module Yeti Link Expansion Module

Take a good look at the Q&A section. There is one where the answer states that if you connect directly to the alternator you wouldn't need the $425 part, but that answer is not from the factory. It would make sense that if you tapped in before the voltage regulator it would be high enough voltage. Definitely call the factory to see what they say. The tech support number is listed frequently in the Q&A's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just tried the above link and it doesn't take you directly to the expansion module page. Go to accessories and look for the car charging kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helpful thanks, it got the ball rolling. I have the Yeti 400, which the "link expansion module" doesn't work with. There is a cord on the website (12v car charging cable $40) that you are supposed to use when driving. Reading various things, such as a 12v outlet in the rear of vehicle might not work. I'll definitely read the manual and call the company. Hoping for my small 400 yeti, that the $40 cord is the fix. Thanks, N

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI the cigarette plug in the back is on a 30 min timer. So I gather
Very interesting, thanks. I called Yeti and got lots more info. Some of their instructions are old. In a nutshell, you can't connect to alternator unless you for the model 1000 or larger. I have 400. And, they have a new/improved 12v plug to charge 400 in the cigarette lighter. The rep thought the front 12v might charge better than the rear. He just encouraged I test both and on both of the two settings. So, the Yeti 400 + a $40 cord works charging in van.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an inergy (hate it). I want to heat my coffee in the microwave. Bought the $50 microwave from walmart with low watts (don't remember what it is). Peaks around 1400 - 1500. It only works if I'm fully charged. If it's 75% or lower it still works my tools. If I do over I'll get the goal zero 1400 and the line connecting to the battery under the seat.......Inergy is so behind with accessories rendering it a POS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very interesting, thanks. I called Yeti and got lots more info. Some of their instructions are old. In a nutshell, you can't connect to alternator unless you for the model 1000 or larger. I have 400. And, they have a new/improved 12v plug to charge 400 in the cigarette lighter. The rep thought the front 12v might charge better than the rear. He just encouraged I test both and on both of the two settings. So, the Yeti 400 + a $40 cord works charging in van.
I have the Yeti 1400 and use the car charger kit plugged into the rear outlet in my van. I have had no issues with this set up.

Eventually I will expand my electrical system but for my current needs (no pun) the Yeti has been great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts