Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why the dash lights would stay on for 20+ min. after all doors have been closed? I got home tonight and left the doors open for a while (30 min?) but after unloading everything and shutting all the doors, I could see that the gauge lights were still on, including the illuminated LCD display between the speedo and tach. I finally gave up waiting and hit "lock" on the remote to shut them off, but I'm curious why this would happen. Anyone else noticed problems with this?

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
There is a circuit that leaves some things powered up for 30 minutes after shutting the doors, etc.

I rely on it particularly for the things connected to the 12v accessory connections.

The circuit is activated by the doors unlocking, key on, and similar events and then remains active for 30 minutes after the events are no longer present.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I didn't like the way the timer left my gps lit up at night when parked. I wired a new outlet to an upfitter switch so it now dies immediately at engine off.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30 min? Next time I'll leave it on longer and time it. I just don't feel like going to bed with dash lights illuminated because I'm afraid I'll have a dead battery in the morning.

One suspicion I had was that my bluetooth connection from my phone was somehow keeping it on (i.e. the car knew there was a connected device so it was stoping the circuit from shutting off.)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
i guess that is one thing nice about only having basic options, all the lights go off instantly when you lock the doors, but that ford light stays on for a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
30 min? Next time I'll leave it on longer and time it.
Yes, it can make you nervous. Keep in mind if you hit the door lock or open a door, your 30 minutes starts over. :|

I remember in the early 70's when people wouldn't believe the headlights on the Cadillac would shut off, and stand there watching until they did :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
So, if I'm sleeping in my van and open the door, then close it, I have to hit the lock button on the key (or the lock button on the armrest) to turn all the interior lights off?

And if I want to camp with a door open all night...I have to wait 30 minutes for the lights to shut off? What happens if a door is open, and the "lock" button on the key or the driver's door is pressed?

I will have a steep learning curve ....

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
So, if I'm sleeping in my van and open the door, then close it, I have to hit the lock button on the key (or the lock button on the armrest) to turn all the interior lights off?
And if I want to camp with a door open all night...I have to wait 30 minutes for the lights to shut off? What happens if a door is open, and the "lock" button on the key or the driver's door is pressed?
I will have a steep learning curve ....
Yes, it could be an issue in some situations like that. Depending on how often the dilemma comes up for you, it may be helpful to figure out wiring in an override switch of some sort. Where there's a will there's a way... :nerd:

PS: if you have a habit of opening doors while sleeping, you may want to talk to your doctor about sleepwalking prevention.

·
Registered
214 Posts
... if you have a habit of opening doors while sleeping, you may want to talk to your doctor about sleepwalking prevention.

Oy. Tangled syntax. Probably means the sun has set (somewhere) and it's time for a beer!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, it can make you nervous. Keep in mind if you hit the door lock or open a door, your 30 minutes starts over. :|

I remember in the early 70's when people wouldn't believe the headlights on the Cadillac would shut off, and stand there watching until they did :D
So as I pull up into a bad neighborhood and shut off the engine I am then lit up like I am on TV while I am putting my GPS and other misc stuff out of sight. Not only can everybody see what I am doing but visibility to the outside is reduced with the inside being lit up. I wonder if the lighting can be programmed differently by the dealer.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
the lighting can be set to where only a certain door or doors turns it on, i found it in the BEMM but so far i have not attempted to find out if it is simple rewiring job, or has to be programed, it appears, at least to me to be just rewiring a plug on the body control module.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be clear, the issue I was dealing with was only the instrument cluster, and the LCD trip computer between the speedo and tach. For interior lights in the passenger area on my T-150 Wagon, I just manually press each one so they are off, even if the doors are opened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a new 2019 Transit van 455 miles on it. I just noticed that after turning off my engine and removing key and exiting the van, the odometer lcd screen stays on for quite awhile and eventually shutsoff. I never noticed this before. IF I hit the lock button on my key it shutsoff.immediately. I just installed wiring for a battery to battery charger. I disconnected the ground wire for several hours and installed a ground wire for the B to B charger (Sterling BB1260) connecting it to the negative post on my single battery. I also tapped off a positve connection to a stud in the battery box. I did not used the CCP. Did I do something to create this problem or is this normal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is normal behavior.
Thank you! I did not notice this feature before I started working on the van.. I did not want to fuss with adding additional CCP. So I just connected a positive connection for B to B to a terminal stud in battery compartment used 4 gauge wire and a 100amp breaker/disconnect. Question: is it ok to tap off the negative terminal on battery or should I use a grounding point between drivers seat and passenger seat? Do you see any problems with the path I chose to wire the B to B?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to put a trickle charger on my 2019 if it's not driven for 3 to 4 days. I installed an alarm, remote start with Dronemobile shortly after I bought it, first time it sat I had a dead battery. Battery tested bad but I still had battery drain issues after new battery. 30 minutes is far too long as a contractor I can be in and out of my van several times a day.

Even with the alarm and remote start disabled there's a battery drain. What is it on the Transits that uses the battery? This isn't an issue when driven daily and don't need the alarm on most jobsites many times I leave the back doors open. Other than putting it in valet mode and using a trickle charger I haven't found a solution.

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
Question: is it ok to tap off the negative terminal on battery or should I use a grounding point between drivers seat and passenger seat? Do you see any problems with the path I chose to wire the B to B?
Using an "official" grounding point leaves no doubt, yet many of us have grounded elsewhere old-school style without catastrophic results. There are circumstances and reasons for the electrical connection instructions in the BEMM, so proceeding in your own way contrary to that of course is at your own risk.

There are quite a few knowledgeable electrical B2B folks here, perhaps one will chime in with ideas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a circuit that leaves some things powered up for 30 minutes after shutting the doors, etc.

I rely on it particularly for the things connected to the 12v accessory connections.

The circuit is activated by the doors unlocking, key on, and similar events and then remains active for 30 minutes after the events are no longer present.
I have questions concerning the Timing of the Cargo Bay Lights being longer after Opening the Rear Doors it feels like Half an Hour(after unlocking with the Remote) versus the Side Doors which only leave lights on for a Minute or Two.

Sometimes the Lights seem to stay on longer if I delay opening the Side Door.

Does anyone know the Timing Logic of on the Interior Lighting and it's interrelation with which doors are open and the Door and Remote Use?

Also I purchased Six of the OEM Cargo Bay Light Fixtures to be powered by a "House" Power system, these are LED Modules, The Polarity is Unmarked, they appear to light up regardless of Polarity which is unlike a Polarized Electronic Component (I tested one with a 12VDC Wall Wart).

Looking at the ones installed in the van by the factory, they produce a dim glow for a few minutes after they power down, I wonder if this is a feature of some electrical process are not aware of or if there's just like maybe a luminescent piece in the modules that is not part of the active electrical?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts