Ford Transit USA Forum banner
161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
On that article about Climate Change… A question should be, “Who is Controlling the Weather” ? ⛈🔥
I heard it's a particular religious group that I'm genetically related to. Also, we are going to replace you. And, we control all the banks, too. And Hollywood. And pretty much everything else if the internets in the Deep South are to be believed.

The problem with anthropogenic influence on the climate is that it took over 100 years to get where we are, and most people just cannot conceive of such slow moving events. If any action is taken to reverse the amount of pollution going into the air and seas, it would likely take another inconceivable amount of time for an effect to be seen. People are impatient; if it's not going to be "fixed" in less than 10 years, then it's fake and we should just keep doing whatever we want.

One thing that WAS "fixed" in a noticeable amount of time was the smog in LA. After emissions standards and other air quality regulations went into effect, it was about 10-15 years to go from yellow skies and low visibility to relatively clear skies; all while the population doubled in Southern CA.
Skyscraper Building Sky World Tower

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I heard that California installed giant fans in the mountains that blow all their smog and smoke into other states further inland. I just wish that you guys would burn up all your vegetation/forests at once, be done with it and then stop blowing the smoke to where I live.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
I heard that California installed giant fans in the mountains that blow all their smog and smoke into other states further inland. I just wish that you guys would burn up all your vegetation/forests at once, be done with it and then stop blowing the smoke to where I live.
It's not ours, it's the Fed's forest that keep burning up.
Passing the buck.

• Love
Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
You mean those are not wind turbines?

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
secret reptilian air-movement operation in CA, sending smoke and pollution to the lessor States
Sky Slope Natural landscape Landscape Mountainous landforms

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Every product you use or eat is at some point transported in a diesel engine truck.
No suitable substitutes in the near future.
If I remember Correctly trains are run by diesel electric. So, no freight trains either. Good luck California!

·
Registered
E450 Wagon
516 Posts
Rail-freight movement has about 1/4 the carbon footprint of trucks, which means based on the current grid, still would be better than battery-powered trucks. Plus, meaningful efficiency gains to railroads are only just now rolling out. Wabtecc now offers a battery locomotive, intended to be paired with a conventional diesel-Electic, to make a hybrid-pair. The battery-electric locomotive captures energy normally rejected through the resistor grids during dynamic braking.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Rail makes a lot of sense for transport, but being Merkuh, we can't have stuff that makes a lot of sense. Private industry runs most of the rail, and to expand it would also need to buy private property.
Unfortunately, as exemplified with the CA "high speed" rail plan, the best or even decent routes cannot be accomplished due to conflict over acquiring property and also local restrictions/demands. The whole thing is "designed by committee" and will be just as slow as regular rail due to serpentine routes and stops. This system is for transportation of people, not goods, but it's an example of the problems with expanding rail in Merkuh. If rail lines could just be built where they make the most sense, it would be great. But farmer Brown won't sell that corner of one of his fields so rail can go in a straight line instead of a 50 mile detour. It makes me wonder how we ever built the Interstate Highway System!

It's funny how some people want to just double-down on a fading resource as the main, or only, method of energy production for transportation. Obviously we need to exploit EVERY energy source, and use the ones best suited for the task at hand. Electricity and electric motors are the obvious multi-task system, since electricity can be made from a huge variety of sources, is cheap to distribute, and is universal (unlike multiple blends of gas and diesel, which are vehicle-specific). However, large vehicles like semis and trains are currently best served via ICE, but can be more efficient as mild hybrid systems. BEV is best suited for passenger vehicle systems; all the reasons have been posted above. Just because 2-3 out of 100 drivers "need" to drive their car/truck 300+ miles a day doesn't negate the fact that BEV is superior to ICE for passenger vehicles regarding efficiency and cost of operation/ownership. The old tropes of "lithium", "landfills", "range", "grid", etc. have all been debunked, and are just tired soundbites by the less-informed or intimidated at this point.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Rail-freight movement has about 1/4 the carbon footprint of trucks, which means based on the current grid, still would be better than battery-powered trucks. Plus, meaningful efficiency gains to railroads are only just now rolling out. Wabtecc now offers a battery locomotive, intended to be paired with a conventional diesel-Electic, to make a hybrid-pair. The battery-electric locomotive captures energy normally rejected through the resistor grids during dynamic braking.

One of the few modes of transport where battery technology at it's current state of development makes sense.

161 - 180 of 219 Posts