Ford Transit USA Forum banner
201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T150 med roof SWB
131 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to stick a gasifier in the back of their electric pickup and drive around fueling it with leaves and broken limbs they get on the side of the road once in a while. These things are 12-20kwh+.
View attachment 179606
There is some European guy that did this with an older vehicle. It was a while ago, I think it was on some Top Gear knockoff that I saw it.
I remember they asked about emissions and he said he'd deliberately done it with an older car because he wasn't sure what it would turn out.
But it actually did pass emissions anyway.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
There is some European guy that did this with an older vehicle. It was a while ago, I think it was on some Top Gear knockoff that I saw it.
I remember they asked about emissions and he said he'd deliberately done it with an older car because he wasn't sure what it would turn out.
But it actually did pass emissions anyway.
The one I saw at Maker Faire a few years back had almost no emissions due to EGR system.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've been trying to purchase a "Mr. Fusion" for years. At least in our timeline, they are very difficult to get ones hands on.
I wouldn't advertise that you have one. "Someone" will be knocking at your door....

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Reactions: rustythorn

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice to see they learned their supply chain lessons.
Now if they can get the metals they need.
Tribes and environmental people trying to stop the lithium project in Nevada and the copper mine expansion in southeast Arizona.
Although, the CCP will be more than happy to open coal fired power plants to mine lithium and copper to sell to us.
Horses and bicycles and walking shoes. Will help with the obesity problem.

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
238 Posts
Now if they can get the metals they need.
Tribes and environmental people trying to stop the lithium project in Nevada and the copper mine expansion in southeast Arizona.
Although, the CCP will be more than happy to open coal fired power plants to mine lithium and copper to sell to us.
Horses and bicycles and walking shoes. Will help with the obesity problem.
....and the depth of ignorance continues, veiled in juvenile ridicule. What a species we are...

Might be worth considering banning the idiocy. Probably would correct 95% of erroneous and the inane resistance to efficient powering of all surface vehicle types that we depend on so much in the 21st century. Naw, then we would have an Adolph Putin-like country where delusional thoughts can be financially rewarding. Oh my, kind of like here at home now that I think of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
....and the depth of ignorance continues, veiled in juvenile ridicule. What a species we are...

Might be worth considering banning the idiocy. Probably would correct 95% of erroneous and the inane resistance to efficient powering of all surface vehicle types that we depend on so much in the 21st century. Naw, then we would have an Adolph Putin-like country where delusional thoughts can be financially rewarding. Oh my, kind of like here at home now that I think of it.
But did you have a comment about the observation that China (and probably Russia) would step up coal fired plants to support mining of lithium and copper required for EV's? Our (the US's) environmental restrictions could severely limit our ability to obtain raw materials to make batteries.. I think that was the essence of pbethel's post.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
I'm all for the Horses and Bikes and Walking shoes; to help with the national obesity crisis.

EVs aren't going to help with that, and actually electric vehicles of all types are contributing to the crisis. Bikes you don't have to pedal, skateboards you don't have to push, there are even boots that have tank treads on them so you don't have to walk.

Our weird car-centric culture is probably one of the main reasons for the obesity epidemic (76% of Merkuns overweight, 41% obese, 7% morbidly obese), contributing to a lack of exercise, that, along with poor dietary choices, are the two biggest contributors. People literally drive 2-3 blocks away instead of walking. Cities are laid out to REQUIRE you to drive/be driven to get to work, school, shopping, etc. I'm no better than the hoi palloi, I literally just got back after driving 5 miles away to go for a 10 mile run, and then drove 5 miles back! Sure, I could have run to where I started and back, but I'd have to run partway on the Interstate, partway on roads with no shoulder or sidewalk, and through a lot of intersections. All that was built for cars, not people, cuz we are in love with sitting down and getting someplace without any effort.

• Haha
Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This is why I like my small town. I ride about 1.2 mile across main street, through a couple neighborhoods, then arrive at one of our bike paths. Within the next 1/4 mile I can be climbing up steep gravel trails, or on less travelled roads up to a couple of other parks. I can ride into the boonies in less than 5 miles if I chose.
Shhh. Please don't encourage anyone else to move to Montana....

Edit: Yes we are seeing quite a few EVs on our roads these days, but we still have a majority of gas guzzlin ole pick-up trucks.

·
Registered
597 Posts

Yes you are right. If we will just quit resisting what is good for us we will all be fine.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I wish we could add China to that list also.
Would have been nice if they had leapfrogged form bicycles to EV's (powered by "renewables"
Of course since they only have about 25% of the cars per capita of the US has, that could eventually end up being the case for about a billion cars.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Would have been nice if they had leapfrogged form bicycles to EV's (powered by "renewables"
Of course since they only have about 25% of the cars per capita of the US has, that could eventually end up being the case for about a billion cars.
It's an interesting time, technology-wise. Hopefully the highly populous developing nations like China and India only have a brief bit of time with ICE vehicles before BEV becomes the cheaper, thus more attractive, type of vehicle. I've seen all kinds of raw-number doom and gloom examples of what would happen if either of those two countries "lived like Merkuns". Known global supply of fossil fuels would be used up in less than 10 years. China seems well on it's way to equaling Merkun standard of living/use of resources per capita for it's growing middleclass. India, I'm not holding my breath. If either of those countries had developed faster from the 1950's, keeping pace with Merkuh and Eurolandia, it's very possible we would all be driving EVs right now, cuz all the gas would have been burned up.

Like vagabond said, it's a LOT of people.
US: 330 million
China: 1.4 billion
India: 1.38 billion
Imagine if even half of them drove cars. About 88% of the Merkun population owns cars, that's 290 million cars. If 88% of Chinese owned cars, it would be 1.23 billion cars. That's 4x as many cars as Merkuns. Burning 4x as much gas. Bye-bye, fossil fuels. Although electricity for EVs is made in large part by fossil fuels, at least there are other sources. Other than some boutique artificial fuels, ICE only use fossil fuels. It's not politics, it's economics. And sure, maybe not raping the environment and making the air unbreathable a little, too.

Colorfulness Slope Font Circle Parallel

201 - 219 of 219 Posts