Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

Veggie farmer here, moving from an Isuzu NPR with a 14' box. Great truck but at 360k km its starting to sprout electrical issues on a weekly basis.

After all the hullaballoo I've been reading about modern diesels (mine is a 2001), I'm a little terrified of getting into the EGR DEF DPF game, but fuel economy is a major motivator for us here. We're not interested in saving money as much as saving emissions, and I understand the increased costs of running diesel.

I had to do a bunch of digging to get some semi-accurate numbers for cube vans. I called four people who were selling theirs and found the following:

A diesel transit with a 12' or 14' box gets between 13 and 14 l/100km (16-18mpg), and a gas model gets between 17 and 20 l/100km (12-14mpg). Thats average of all miles, loaded and unloaded, highway and city.

This is pretty significant. Our fairly inefficient Isuzu cabover gets 10mpg, and if Im spending $40k on a new truck it would be nice if it didn't crap on the planet too much.

Anyway, here's your chance to tell me I'm a fool for buying the diesel over the gas. I found a 2018 diesel with 12' box with 7000km and all stuff id like (bluetooth and backup camera) for the same price as a brand new gas model, and it seems like a good opportunity. Fire away! MPG is the important point to us, which is why I posted here.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
You can do the numbers based on fuel costs and higher maintenance cost for fuel, oil quantity, filters, DPF, etc. on the box van.

For the Transit van chassis, folks have worked the numbers and found the 3.5 EcoBeast turbo total operating costs over time are about the same as the diesel. The better economy is cancelled out by the higher costs of operation. Engine life may be a factor that isn't considered in that evaluation, though I'd expect both to easily deliver 200,000 miles plus if taken care of.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
From what I've read, there are issues with the diesel offered for the Transit, and the ecoboost makes more economic sense until you put more than 250k miles on it. If the diesel engine lives that long.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I drive and maintain diesel road tractors these days. There is no way I’d buy a modern diesel if there is a more reliable gas model that will do the job.

Not to be cruel but your fantasy about doing the planet a favor by buying green is negated by the millions of old trucks people are keeping on the road because they are so much more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts