Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Prevailing winds in the northern hemisphere are from the SW to the NE.
My absolute worst mpg was from Battle Mt. to Winnemucca Nevada on I 80 in a 40 to 50 mph west wind. From 18 mpg coming north from Austin to Battle Mountain dropping to 13 mpg when I turned into the wind. Hand calculated.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,041 Posts
Recently completed a 2,000 round trip while keeping the speed at a consistent 65. The outbound reported gas mileage was 18-19 mpg but the return was all over the place. 16 mpg was the average over the first 250 miles so thought it may be the gas. We only use top tier gas 87 octane. Then mpg rose to 17 and never got to 18.

What are others seeing? I recall a post that said they don't trust the mpg reported on the dash.
Small / short example, but... our most go-to trip is from southern California (Orange County) to Mammoth - up 395. Typically get ~12mpg on the way up and ~15mph on the way back. Of course, it's actually a net elevation increase, so easily explained. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
126 Posts
ive not got more then 12.5mpg in my 2021 HR AWD. I can’t drive below 75. Lol. Are you all AWD or 2x
cheers
I'm 2WD. Non-ecoboost. Haven't done a long trip in my van yet to get a long average, but my limited 50-100 mile tests on the freeway have seen a max of 22-23 MPG at 55 MPH. Mixed driving more like 20. I usually find the slowest moving truck and match speeds with him. No hurry...and gas is still ridiculous.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I noticed that I was getting worse gas mileage when gas prices were sky high. I also would use the 92 octane gas with my eco-boost and would get around 18 mpg. However, during the worst gas prices, I was only getting 15 mpg. Same routes, same driving, same gas octane. I started to suspect that gas stations were selling 87 octane gas as premium because I was seeing no difference switching back and forth between grades. Except Chevron stations... I always would get the 18 mpg using their premium gas...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I noticed that I was getting worse gas mileage when gas prices were sky high. I also would use the 92 octane gas with my eco-boost and would get around 18 mpg. However, during the worst gas prices, I was only getting 15 mpg. Same routes, same driving, same gas octane. I started to suspect that gas stations were selling 87 octane gas as premium because I was seeing no difference switching back and forth between grades. Except Chevron stations... I always would get the 18 mpg using their premium gas...
Are you suggesting that switching from 87 to premium (91-93) is increasing your mpg by 3? I’ve never heard that before. I wonder if others are experiencing similar results.

·
Registered
2021 R2C Ecoboost Buejeans
70 Posts
2021 148, mid roof AWD. Driving home from KC, in empty box with headwinds and rain uphill to Co…14mpg. Mostly empty downhill to Ohio…18 mpg. Return trip…16 mpg. Now, built out (not yet weighed), Quigly lift and 245/75’s with roof rack/solar…15 in and out of mtns. I expect about 12 mpg uphill in headwinds. Luckily my 2020 F150 4x4 with 2.7 Ecoboost gets 27+ mpg on hwy

·
Registered
597 Posts
Are you suggesting that switching from 87 to premium (91-93) is increasing your mpg by 3? I’ve never heard that before. I wonder if others are experiencing similar results.
I see similar results. But I only have 91 in this area.
Very noticeable increase in acceleration.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts