Ford Transit USA Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
682 Posts
For those looking for a mount point for the VanTop camera, it tapes with VHB on top of the brake light unit (in a 2020) perfectly. No shaking and stayed on in rain and wind up to the speed-limiter. (I don't get very good gas mileage. :ROFLMAO: ) And the wires can be run without any drilling or cutting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I tried the camera on the inside tonight and I think this is where it will go permanently. Even with the tint it was fine at night and I think it might even help with blocking the lights of cars somewhat. Still able to see the blind spots and far in the distance.

Thanks @gregoryx !

·
Registered
616 Posts
This morning when I turned on my rear view camera, the image on the screen is all washed out. Inspected the rear camera and there is condensation on the inside of the glass camera cover. Probably happens every time the weather hits the dew point. Now I have to figure out where the condensation is from. (Perhaps it was assembled in a high humidity high temperature environment and I live in a low humidity 3000+ ft elevation.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same issue. I contacted them and they sent a new camera. I think mine was due to rain actually getting into the camera. I'm going to keep mine in the van and probably wrap it with something to hopefully seal it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks Mike, I will post an update and photos on how my install goes. I did ohm out the fuse box's and looks like I will use the body control module fuse box since there are several 15A fuse locations available. 14, 15 & 29 are constant on. 36 is ignition on. Just need to verify the fuse's provided with the Vantop hardwire package.
Did you install the "permanent" power wiring yet? Any pics?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you install the "permanent" power wiring yet? Any pics?
I started my VanTop H612T install today. Worked on what fuses to use for constant on and ignition on. For constant on use Body Control module fuse No 29 (15A) labeled not used; no29 is a micro fuse. For ignition on use fuse no 18 on driver side fuse box it is a 20A fuse also labeled "not used". The ACC or ignition cable comes with a mini fuse attached I cut the wire and crimped on one of the fuse adapter supplied on the hardwire kit. For ground I replaced the supplied end with a ring crimp. All worked fine, will tuck all the wires in tomorrow and attached the ignition wire for the rear camera.
1. Body Control module fuse location: Constant on:
IMG_6711.jpg
2. Driver side fuse box location: Ignition on:
IMG_6712.jpg
3. Ground location
IMG_6713.jpg

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
779 Posts
I started my VanTop H612T install today. Worked on what fuses to use for constant on and ignition on. For constant on use Body Control module fuse No 29 (15A) labeled not used; no29 is a micro fuse. For ignition on use fuse no 18 on driver side fuse box it is a 20A fuse also labeled "not used". The ACC or ignition cable comes with a mini fuse attached I cut the wire and crimped on one of the fuse adapter supplied on the hardwire kit. For ground I replaced the supplied end with a ring crimp. All worked fine, will tuck all the wires in tomorrow and attached the ignition wire for the rear camera.
View attachment 151531
View attachment 151530
3. Ground location
View attachment 151532
@nealcallan, where are these two fuse panels located? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
231 Posts
I installed my Vantop a week or so ago and tapped the overhead light wires. It's worked great so far - need to take a couple more photos but here are most.

I lowered the overhead light console and found an unused plug. Checked it with a meter and it was on with ignition. Used that for camera power. Been working great for several months. Super easy, 6" wire run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 151531
View attachment 151530
3. Ground location
View attachment 151532
Continued today with install:
1. Attached rear camera trigger wire to reverse light: The harness has 4 wires the green and brown one was for the back up light. Just snaked an additional wire (red wire) through the boot and crimped onto the reverse light. Worked great.
IMG_6727.jpg
2. Ran all wires inside the trim on the front and will mount the GPS high on window as I saw someone else do in this thread:
IMG_6728.jpg IMG_6729.jpg IMG_6738.jpg
3. Cleaned up the fuse box wiring for constant and ignition power
Constant power:
IMG_6761.jpg
Ignition power:
IMG_6739.jpg
4. Looks clean - next is mounting the rear camera
IMG_6760.jpg

Thanks for all the great tips in this thread. I tried to copy all the best practices.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
481 Posts
We played around with the GPS location and couldn't find any place that didn't work as well as any other, even behind the black etching on the glass.

Curious, what does wiring it to the reverse lights do? I skipped that step because it's not like the camera is ever doing anything besides showing the rear view.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We played around with the GPS location and couldn't find any place that didn't work as well as any other, even behind the black etching on the glass.

Curious, what does wiring it to the reverse lights do? I skipped that step because it's not like the camera is ever doing anything besides showing the rear view.
On the GPS I just wanted it out of the way, yeah I assumed it will work .
On wiring to the reverse light, when you put the car in reverse the Vantop will automatically switch to full rear camera view. And I noticed it has with red and yellow guides - see image below.
rear camera image.png

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
One of the options you can choose so it only does rear view when it turns on. Front camera is useless for our purposes, so that's how we've got it set. It's worked just fine like that and hasn't reverted back.

On wiring to the reverse light, when you put the car in reverse the Vantop will automatically switch to full rear camera view.

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
262 Posts
I lowered the overhead light console and found an unused plug. Checked it with a meter and it was on with ignition. Used that for camera power. Been working great for several months. Super easy, 6" wire run.
I did the exact same.
Left the red wire disconnected and removed the OEM rear view mirror since the cargo van has no rear window and there's no reason to look at what is inside the van.
Mounted the mirror on a piece of ABS and without the flash, it's dark enough up there that you never see the plastic or wires.

At some point I'll cut a piece of black plastic to cover the hole the OEM mirror came out of so the GPS can't be seen. The red is the GPS.

The camera is in the bottom of the left tail light and completely inconspicuous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the exact same.
Left the red wire disconnected and removed the OEM rear view mirror since the cargo van has no rear window and there's no reason to look at what is inside the van.
Mounted the mirror on a piece of ABS and without the flash, it's dark enough up there that you never see the plastic or wires.

At some point I'll cut a piece of black plastic to cover the hole the OEM mirror came out of so the GPS can't be seen. The red is the GPS.

The camera is in the bottom of the left tail light and completely inconspicuous.
Can you share a few more details about the mirror mount? Did you just cut from a sheet and used some fasteners to the original plastic mirror housing?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I didn't notice your issue the first time through, but if you want my plastic OEM piece to cover that hole, you can have it if you pay the shipping. PM me if interested.

/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2106 148MR Cargo
262 Posts
Can you share a few more details about the mirror mount? Did you just cut from a sheet and used some fasteners to the original plastic mirror housing?
It really is just a piece of flat ABS. Here are a few more pix:

There are rectangular holes for the top mirror hooks to go through and grooves to keep the bottom hooks in place.

Slightly different angle:

This one is to show how looking through the red tail light makes it monochrome, as compared to the front. I normally just have the rear showing and the monochrome doesn't bother me a bit.

The four expanding push rivets holding the ABS to the OEM pod are from ACE Hardware.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts