Ford Transit USA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great tip thanks! How tall are you (to find out how high you positioned it)? I am 6'3" so head-high might be too high in my case.

Are you happy with covering the existing rearview mirror with the new screen?

An Amazon buyer placed the new screen above the rearview mirror so you can see both. I feel that in a Transist this might the block the view of the front camera. My main need is for the rearview screen but it would be better to avoid blocking the front view camera.
For sure! If you follow the same pathing I did for the wiring you'll see where the yellow connector resides and then the camera goes as high as the cable allows. It's probably a bit higher than 6ft. I attached it with electrical tape and drove around town to find where I liked it. It probably could have gone a bit lower. My main goal was to be able to see infinitely towards the horizon while still seeing as close to my bumper as possible.

There is a little plastic cap that allows entry into the door. I cut a bit of that to allow the cable to pass through and then covered with black silicone to seal it back up. Getting the wiring from the cab into the door was a bit tough. There is an electrical taped rubber grommet inside the door that I opened up and then worked a fish tape through to get inside the last column of the van. Then I had to reverse it with the cable attached. If I did it again I would have used soap to help the cable and snake slide through. It's a tight fit with other cables in the grommet / pathway. You'll need the extension cable to make it this far. I also used little pieces of vhb to route the wiring along the inside of the door and as far as I can tell it only hits the rubber seal on the other door in one place and shouldn't cause issues. It's nice how much room is between the doors.

You can position it so the front camera isn't blocked. I haven't played much with it, the only drawback I see is the black V on the front glass is within the frame, but that's ok. I'm about to take my first test trip and I'll setup the video for the front camera to see how it turns out :)

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
67 Posts
Thanks @takedown, this is great detailed useful info.

I received my H612T today and will test it, but it will be at least a month before I get the van. That will be one of the first thing I install.

Reactions: takedown

·
Registered
19 Posts
I finally got around to documenting our install of the Vantop rear view mirror/cam.
Thanks for the good write up. I also picked up a VanTop dash cam and will install next week. One question on the fuse panel hookup, which panel / slot did you connect to for constant power?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the good write up. I also picked up a VanTop dash cam and will install next week. One question on the fuse panel hookup, which panel / slot did you connect to for constant power?
I've not plugged in there yet. I will update when I do. I'm hunkered down in TX currently. - Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've not plugged in there yet. I will update when I do. I'm hunkered down in TX currently. - Mike
Thanks Mike, I will post an update and photos on how my install goes. I did ohm out the fuse box's and looks like I will use the body control module fuse box since there are several 15A fuse locations available. 14, 15 & 29 are constant on. 36 is ignition on. Just need to verify the fuse's provided with the Vantop hardwire package.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks Mike, I will post an update and photos on how my install goes. I did ohm out the fuse box's and looks like I will use the body control module fuse box since there are several 15A fuse locations available. 14, 15 & 29 are constant on. 36 is ignition on. Just need to verify the fuse's provided with the Vantop hardwire package.
Great info! Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awesome, it works really well! I like that the camera is protected.

Is this the factory tinting option and if not, is it lighter than the factory option?

Thanks.

I installed my VanTop H610 10" 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam. I wanted to keep the van's exterior stealth so I made a small 2 inch bracket to mount the rear camera inside the rear door with 3M VHB tape. It works well in low light conditions even through my 5% limo tint rear window.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
682 Posts
We may have to try out that interior mount option, @gypsy brewer .

We're VHB on top of the exterior brake light housing. Cable routes up through existing holes in the metal and plastic bits. In case someone doesn't have rear windows. Works well. Too bright at night; but it dims a bit. I often turn it off if it's dark out and there's no traffic around anyway. When it's off, it's like an old-school "night mirror" mode.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is this the factory tinting option and if not, is it lighter than the factory option?
My rear windows have an applied 5% tint film. I am not certain but I think the factory privacy glass option is a much lighter 20% tint. Through my 5% tint film at night the rear image is dark in rural unlit areas but vehicle lights are visible but not offensively bright, similar to an ordinary mirror's night view position. Areas illuminated by street lights are visible.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I really like this approach,but a lot more difficult for those of us with wagons and hight roofs. From my perspective, it I mounted a camera on the interior plastic panel facing out the door, it could be in the way and get hit. Plus routing the cable becomes a challenge becasue I would want to route it behind the panel.

rear door.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,728 Posts
This is been gnawing at me since this thread began, so finally added a camera this week and monitor above the mirror.
This augments the backup camera I installed pointing down from above top the hitch and bumper area (which displays in the radio screen). Also added a front view camera below the license plate for close up parking help, can switch between front and rear views as needed.

SS screws and lock nuts, bonded neoprene washers inside and out, sealed double wire grommets for the cable.

One strange thing is when in night vision mode the camera picks up what I assume are dust particles blowing around back there, and it is fun to drive through leaves on the roadway - it looks like it's snowing behind me!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting. Could the dust particles be the exhaust fumes?
I am intrigued by the front camera, is there a free input in the stock radio to hook it to the screen?
One strange thing is when in night vision mode the camera picks up what I assume are dust particles blowing around back there, and it is fun to drive through leaves on the roadway - it looks like it's snowing behind me!

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is been gnawing at me since this thread began, so finally added a camera this week and monitor above the mirror.
This augments the backup camera I installed pointing down from above top the hitch and bumper area (which displays in the radio screen). Also added a front view camera below the license plate for close up parking help, can switch between front and rear views as needed.
View attachment 148387 View attachment 148388

SS screws and lock nuts, bonded neoprene washers inside and out, sealed double wire grommets for the cable.

Very interested in your overall setup for using a front and rear camera. What head unit, what cameras?

My 2020 comes with a stock backup cam, and I'm planning on adding one of these vantop rearview mirror cams (and dashcam) but a front parking camera would still be nice, especially if I could get it to come through either the mirror display or 8" Sync display.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After seeing @gypsy brewer inside mount I'm wondering if the coating (is it black paint?) on the glass could be removed for a rectangle area in the door pillar and embed the camera in the pillar. It might be too much work, but could be really cool to have at the right height and hidden inside and out.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I really like this approach,but a lot more difficult for those of us with wagons and hight roofs. From my perspective, it I mounted a camera on the interior plastic panel facing out the door, it could be in the way and get hit. Plus routing the cable becomes a challenge becasue I would want to route it behind the panel.

View attachment 148316
And an even higher level of difficulty for those of us with no windows in the rear doors.

·
Registered
616 Posts
And an even higher level of difficulty for those of us with no windows in the rear doors.
I think that "no window" might be easier than with windows and cover panels. Do your doors have cover panels on them?

I think that cover panels present the biggest challenge. If you don't have cover panels then it would be straight forward to mount a bracket similar to the one shown above. One could use a pin-hole style camera, and drill a small hole in the door that wouldn't be readily noticed. Wouldn't be to difficult to water/weather-seal on the inside between the door panel and camera.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,728 Posts
Interesting. Could the dust particles be the exhaust fumes? I am intrigued by the front camera, is there a free input in the stock radio to hook it to the screen?
Probably dust particles, looks like swarming gnats or something. Just drove with the camera at night for the first time yesterday.
I don't believe any of the Ford radios have a video input, my Android stereo does have two though. This van did not come with a backup cam (optional in 2015), so I added a cheapo one by the brake light and it is run to the stereo. The other two cameras go to the monitor above the mirror.

Very interested in your overall setup for using a front and rear camera. What head unit, what cameras?
The front/rear cameras are sent to a standalone monitor above the mirror that I found on Amazon.
I've had the cameras laying around for a while, from eBay or Amazon.

My 2020 comes with a stock backup cam, and I'm planning on adding one of these vantop rearview mirror cams (and dashcam) but a front parking camera would still be nice, especially if I could get it to come through either the mirror display or 8" Sync display.
I don't think the van displays have accommodations for a second input, though you could use the factory camera input wires and not use the stock backup one.

Some more pix, none of this was high priced:

81 - 100 of 120 Posts