Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing a full time rear view camera above or to replace the factory rear view mirror. The rear camera would be on in drive or even park.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
623 Posts
This is what I am working towards. Plan is to use a 10.1 Android tablet/head-unit as my rear view mirror. I have already installed a new upper tail light camera. Monitor/Tablet is on order. OEM back-up camera still goes through my dashboard mounted aftermarket head unit. I am not far enough along yet to tell you that this is the way to go.
Mine is turning into a more complex project than just a rear view mirror. - Front and Side cameras and a DVR.

Other options are to purchase a larger 12" across clip-on rear view monitor mirror. Others have done this I believe.
Another uses 3 monitor mounted above his windshield.

Your budget and how much time you have will determine your best approach.

Read this thread.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monitor shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect finding a camera that isn't obtrusive to mount in the rear of my HR Transit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Something to consider. All of the 3rd light cameras I have looked at are a mediochre Resolution of 580 TVL. (About the equivalent of .4MP camera, 2 levels below 1080P.) I am not sure if I will be happy with my tail light camera. The other cameras I am using are AHD 2MP cameras, equivalent to 1080P. These cameras will show well on a 10.1" monitor. Others have stated the the aftermarket upper tail light cameras look good on rear view mirror monitors and ok on 7" head units. I may end up upgrading the camera in the tail light somehow and fit in a 2MP camera.

There are many variations available for use on commercial vehicles, Sprinters, and other vans. Choice probably depends more if you are willing to drill mounting holes and a harness pass-through hole. If you have a conversion with a roof rack, solar panels, or other items, probably not an issue

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'm thinking of installing a full time rear view camera above or to replace the factory rear view mirror. The rear camera would be on in drive or even park.

Suggestions?
sportcoupe,

Check out Tadi Brothers, they have night vision also.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
502 Posts
I want to do this too but use a rear view mirror clip on. I’m used to looking there and I like that. The continuity.
Second finding a camera that doesn’t show itself on the roof or rear door. That could be a problem.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I want to do this too but use a rear view mirror clip on. I’m used to looking there and I like that. The continuity.
Second finding a camera that doesn’t show itself on the roof or rear door. That could be a problem.

T town,

You could use the side camera's back by the rear door stops, most wouldn't think something that far back would be a camera. Not on the roof or the doors or bumper. Between one on each side you would have the whole area behind the van covered.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
623 Posts
The majority of the cameras designed for installing on vehicles protrude in some fashion so that their design allows the camera to be adjusted. (Camera CCD and lens is enclosed in some sort of a ball shape so that it can be rotated in many directions.) When I was researching vehicle cameras, there are only a few where the camera assembly is near to being flush to a surface. Unfortunatly, all of these cameras are typically 480 or less TTL. These cameras need approx. a 3/4" hole and you need at least a 1" depth behind the panel. I have seen what they call "Peep hole" cameras made to be installed in doors and walls that are not adjustable. Perhaps one of these could be installed in one of the back doors.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The lower door stops? I want a look that will substitute for a higher view and further back behind the van. It would mimic a rear view mirror as much as possible. I would still have vans backup camera on the 8” screen when thrown in reverse.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The majority of the cameras designed for installing on vehicles protrude in some fashion so that their design allows the camera to be adjusted. (Camera CCD and lens is enclosed in some sort of a ball shape so that it can be rotated in many directions.) When I was researching vehicle cameras, there are only a few where the camera assembly is near to being flush to a surface. Unfortunatly, all of these cameras are typically 480 or less TTL. These cameras need approx. a 3/4" hole and you need at least a 1" depth behind the panel. I have seen what they call "Peep hole" cameras made to be installed in doors and walls that are not adjustable. Perhaps one of these could be installed in one of the back doors.
OK. So it’s going to look like a camera. I’ll have to accept that. Thank you. I like to know what I’m getting into.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought this one and wife and I love it. Much better in traffic. Install was easy.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sportcoupe,

Check out Tadi Brothers, they have night vision also.

Semper Fi

Thanks for link. Not sure I need 4 cameras.

This one mounts on mirror, easy install.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought this one and wife and I love it. Much better in traffic. Install was easy.
I also have that camera, nice added feature is the dashcam and recording capability. I mounted the camera above my third brake light. My ony complaint so far is that the image can not be rotated, so the camera has to be in a specific orientation. This added a couple steps/parts to the install but things have been fine for the last 4k miles.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my factory backup cam. I also have a dedicated dashcam.

I only want a full time camera rearview while driving. Certainly want a quality HD image also.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you @Vanpackr , looks great. I see you are able to turn off grid lines, nice. is your rear camera wireless?

I will add an observation as I shop for camera systems. Most rear cameras that state they are HD 1080P are wireless. That may pose a problem with interference through metal skin of the Transit. I also have 2.4ghz router installed in my Transit for internet.

Wired rear cameras use yellow RCA composite video coax which is only standard definition. No way to get 1080P through a standard yellow RCA.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This one is wired and claims to be able to record both 1080P and 2K. Of course the display is only delivering subset of that due to cropping. I will add that it seems very sharp and actually enhances the lighting and color. They sell an extension which one would need for an extended van and a wiring kit that can plug into a fuse box for both constant and ignition on 12v signal. This is to allow it to work in "security mode" sensing motion or sound to start recording a clip. I just wanted it for the rear view while driving but the other stuff is nice. My only complaint is that it would be nice to be able to invert the picture from the camera but I was able to overcome that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wired rear cameras use yellow RCA composite video coax which is only standard definition. No way to get 1080P through a standard yellow RCA.
There has been an evolution in the past few years where the cameras are called AHD (Analog High definition) They will soon have the speed to handle up to 3MP cameras using conventional wires. You have to look for the cameras that state they are 2MP AHD. Majority if the time, they come with the 4-pin aviation screw connector. Many of the 4-pin connector cameras come with a splitter cable that has a 12V power wire and ground wire and a yellow RCA jack. If you purchase a monitor that had a 4-pin jack, you can display true 2MP/1080P. With only an RCA jack, you have to read the fine print of the monitor because some of the new ones will handle mutiple resolution formats and switch automaticallly up to 4K resolution.
If the monitor/mirror doesn't say anything and only has a RCA jack, then chances are it ony can handle 480 TTL.

In the system I am putting together, the DVR I recently ordered, (About $350 - no Hard drive or SSD, and no Memory, cards, so I have to purchase a 2TB SSD at about another $300) is designed specifically to input the 4-pin aviation jacks. My cameras will route through the DVR and I will view the rear camera continuously via the HDMI port to the Android monitor I ordered.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I looked at the specifications, or should I write, lack of, on the Tadi Brothers system and as far as I can tell it must be a 480TTL system. They only state that it uses "RCA jacks". Personally I am not impressed with their system. Other than it is nicely packaged as a system to make it easy for a novice to install, but for $199, I can put together a higher resolution system. Their camera looks the same as the $25 back up cameras sold on Fleabay, and one can find a similar rear-view mirror monitor for about $60 + about $20 for a long cable to run between the mirror and camera.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think that the mirror Vanpackr posted is a much better choice, even though you have to purchase your rear camera separatly.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts