Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being disappointed with no good options for a front hitch receiver, i decided to build one for light duty use. bike rack for now.

its made out of 2" square tube 1/4" wall cross member. the cross member has a 1/2" angle on either end. the receiver tube is 12" long from harbor freight. pieces are cut out and welded up. the driver side mount (angle iron) had to be notch for some obstructions.

got the mounting idea from a "push bar" posted here in the past. these instructions are great for showing mounting etc. mine is mounted the same way.

https://www.carid.com/images/black-horse-off-road/items/pdf/17fotrma-installation-instructions.pdf

most things related to bumper stay in place and intact. the lower trim is removed and cut to allow receiver tube. lower trim needs to be trimmed for 2" cross member too. trimming was pretty straight forward.

if i get time i'd like to make a CAD file for it. it's easy to build for a DIY with a welder. or you could take the CAD prints to a shop for fabrication.
sorry i didnt get a pic of the install prior to trim re-install. i was in a hurry. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Love it! Would like to put bikes in the front. Let me know if you can share cad or might have some extras made ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nicely done! A simple solution that nonetheless exceeds my skill level. Second request for drawings if you get a chance. Might also be interested in purchasing brackets, then adding the cross bar myself (to save shipping).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well Done! Seems like it could be used for an emergency recovery point if you got stuck. It's better than what a stock van has for front recovery. Which is, well...nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after effective prodding by another forum member i finally made the drawings to fabricate my front hitch. you will find an instruction sheet, highly leveraged from the bull bumper folks, and drawings for the hitch. this is purely a bolt on design. no major van alteration required except for cutting a bit of the splash guard.

it has been made successfully by myself and by a fab shop from the drawings for a 2018 and 2016 van. my guess is the front ends are the same.

it is intended for LIGHT DUTY use. think bike racks, hitch cargo carrier, cotton candy transport etc. it has not been tested. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. i use it for front bike rack.

Build Notes:
tolerances on the van and hitch construction will vary. you should get real close with the drawings. maybe need to enlarge a hole.
i will recommend using the bolt on front strap. the welded on front strap requires a bit more precision. a way to overcome the precision is to fabricate the main hitch. fit the hitch. fit the strap. then weld tack it together in place.
mind the notch on the driver side flange.
you'll need a few extra parts like longer bolts, washers/bushings, etc. all should be indicated in the drawing.

Muster up the courage to ask your spouse for permission and some $$$ and get building!!!!!!

finally, i dont want anything for providing the drawings. if you feel inclined to give back do something nice for someone else or make a donation to a charity or food shelf on my behalf.

later,
joe

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well after effective prodding by another forum member i finally made the drawings to fabricate my front hitch. you will find an instruction sheet, highly leveraged from the bull bumper folks, and drawings for the hitch. this is purely a bolt on design. no major van alteration required except for cutting a bit of the splash guard.

it has been made successfully by myself and by a fab shop from the drawings for a 2018 and 2016 van. my guess is the front ends are the same.

it is intended for LIGHT DUTY use. think bike racks, hitch cargo carrier, cotton candy transport etc. it has not been tested. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. i use it for front bike rack.

Build Notes:
tolerances on the van and hitch construction will vary. you should get real close with the drawings. maybe need to enlarge a hole.
i will recommend using the bolt on front strap. the welded on front strap requires a bit more precision. a way to overcome the precision is to fabricate the main hitch. fit the hitch. fit the strap. then weld tack it together in place.
mind the notch on the driver side flange.
you'll need a few extra parts like longer bolts, washers/bushings, etc. all should be indicated in the drawing.

Muster up the courage to ask your spouse for permission and some $$$ and get building!!!!!!

finally, i dont want anything for providing the drawings. if you feel inclined to give back do something nice for someone else or make a donation to a charity or food shelf on my behalf.

later,
joe
Nicely done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts