Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread where folks could offer up their driveways for others that are traveling to be used as a stop over (one maybe two night stay)

I'll start. San Antonio, Texas : PM me if you need a driveway for the night.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For a few weeks, at least, San Antonio, TX, 78217.

Fenced yard for the pooches, and a hot shower, a washing machine with a clothes line.

(Annoying neighbors and emergency vehicle sirens 24/7 - all can be yours!) LOL!

PM us for info.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like where this thread is going. Might be a good one to sticky so that it's always easy to add to and find for the future. I'm in Phoenix but I'm in a townhouse with no real driveway. Makes working on it a little tricky. But anyone comes through Phoenix I would love to meet up and talk "van".

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
My driveway barely fits our Transit and my 172" Super Duty truck, but our church parking lot (I'm the pastor) has plenty of room to park overnight in. We're just west of Disney property and convenient to the major highway arteries in Central Florida.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Stay out of my driveway. I'll have you towed. If the neighbors don't strip your van for parts first.

BUT

Go here https://freecampsites.net/ to find all kinds of free campsites. Make sure to contribute by adding yours or give a review.

·
Registered
760 Posts
While I still have a driveway, it's currently full. (I'd like to sell my car though...)

HOWEVER if you get absolutely stuck and the CB Smith campground is chock full and you have no place to park... and if you're not terribly long... I could maybe might be able to let you into the compound and you could park at the pool area (which the bylaws say that's where guests with RVs have to park anyway.)

ONLY in an emergency like...you're out of cash too hahahahahah Pembroke Pines Florida area 33027

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stay out of my driveway. I'll have you towed. If the neighbors don't strip your van for parts first.

BUT

Go here https://freecampsites.net/ to find all kinds of free campsites. Make sure to contribute by adding yours or give a review.
I referenced this website when traveling the east coast. Lots of out of the way places in the middle of no where that were helpful. But most times I just needed a driveway to park in as a stop over and did not want to go too far out of the way because time was short between actual vacation spots and I did not want to pay $40 + for a good nights sleep. Although Walmart is always an option, a driveway stop with no worries of being woken by street sweepers or vagrants would be great. So thanks to all who have offered up a stop.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yeah I was going to mention the churches.... down here except for the mega auditorium type assemblies the smaller churches often even have business vans park in their lots (maybe for a fee, IDK)... but the smaller ones don't have those meany signs of tow away zones...

I find funeral homes don't have those signs either ;) Did I mention this already? doh:eek:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
There should be a similar website like freecampsites for urban areas. If someone needs a website idea, there you go. Start selling ad space.

Like hobo markings (hey, that could be the website name, hobosignRV), people could list places in cities where it's safe to spend the night, where you get rousted, where you might get ticketed, etc.

There are a lot of places near me, some with bay views across to San Fran, where people stay in their RV/van.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in the Sacramento area. Have a spot on the street for anyone who needs some respite in civilization. Send me a PM if needed!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
USA: Loveland, CO

1.Maximum Length of Stay: 2 nights
2.120V/15A Power: Yes
3.Arrival Times: 7AM-7PM
4.Water Availability: Yes

NOTES: Tools available.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Squamish, BC

In my town of only 18,000 there are several hundred vans here every day, Spring through Fall, all shapes and sizes, with at least 50 sticking around for the skiing, though most try to get by in Whistler.

Moreover, with high house prices and zero rental vacancy, vans now function as many peoples' full-time housing. It's not seen as unusual here, given the area's mountain/alternative culture.

There's even a local economy around people parking and plugging into residential properties in the evenings - $200/month, that sort of thing.

I need to fight vans off with a stick, lol. My lot is full, but if you're here I can direct you to all the sneaky places to park where you won't be bothered.

(Sidebar: the title pic on the popular Vandwellers group on Reddit [150,000 subscribers] is a pic of Squamish).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I prefer to meet people virtually. In person I find that the mismatched clothing, bad grooming, halitosis, flatulence, bad teeth, smoking/vaping, littering, profanity, lack of class, lack of filter and freeloading pose a problem. Sometimes it's even the other person. You can stay in my driveway as long as you like so long as I never find out about it. Personally, though, I have no idea why people still do this when there are so many better places to stay and easy ways to find them with a smartphone. All that said I'll be by for my free shower soon @ilovehotshot!

·
Registered
671 Posts
In my town of only 18,000 there are several hundred vans here every day, Spring through Fall, all shapes and sizes, with at least 50 sticking around for the skiing, though most try to get by in Whistler.

Moreover, with high house prices and zero rental vacancy, vans now function as many peoples' full-time housing. It's not seen as unusual here, given the area's mountain/alternative culture.

There's even a local economy around people parking and plugging into residential properties in the evenings - $200/month, that sort of thing. ...
I commented in the other thread about this that our city (of roughly the same size) just made this illegal last week, enforced by $150/day fines assessed to the property owner. We have no tourist/seasonal problem (...wish we did, the local economy wouldn't suck so bad...), but parking any sort of RV on your property is suddenly highly restricted. Makes no sense, we're faaaaaaaaar from being any sort of highbrow community - quite the opposite - but apparently somebody got a wild hair up their... well... you know.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone happen to stay overnight at the Walmart in Destin, Florida?

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Anyone happen to stay overnight at the Walmart in Destin, Florida?
No, but if you make it down to the west side of Orlando, I have shaded space, power, water, etc in my church parking lot. 0:)

·
Registered
957 Posts
There are a bunch of "overnight parking apps" for iPhone and Android were people rate locations. I still like to have some idea of the safety of areas.

For me, it is a matter of "stop and resting" where I happen to be. I want the van for that option of "dusk, fatigue, I'm stopping". I have handicap plates on it so hopefully less likely to get bothered in a Walmart Parking lot. Stop at night, gone at sunrise.

A friend commented to draw back to Walmart Parking lots are the street cleaner machines running around at 3 AM that is loud!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts