Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Been discussed many times here (and other forums), of course... but be sure to look at the space used as cross-wise bed versus front-rear alignment. Having the mattress stick into the door area is like getting 6-8" free, allowing a queen-sized mattress instead of short custom foam the other way.

(Already covered by others, but we're 2" x 2" aluminum L Riv-nutted to the sheet metal with three Rivnuts per side. Super solid for four years on the Sprinter. Aluminum cross-supports; but there are many ways to do the cross-supports.)

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Another design:

Wanted bed platform and a table for two people. Also needed to be able to use van for cargo. Four panels folded up against the walls and table removed in about 10 minutes.

Another idea would be to build storage boxes around the wheel wells and support the bed platform from the boxes.

If I wanted a permanent bed platform I would make a glued composite panel. 1/4" plywood top and bottom with 1 1/2" rigid insulation between. Very light, rigid and insulated. 3/4" x 1 1/2" wood edges. My four panels are made with 1/4" ply top, 1" rigid insulation and indoor/outdoor carpet bottom layer. I can kneel on the plywood without issues. Carpet to eliminate squeaks between panels and the table top and same as wall covering when folded up against the walls.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello folks,
I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all the feedback. It was really helpful. I installed my bed during these last few days and I am really happy with how it came out. I still need to tidy up some things but the frame is strong and functional.

Here is what I did:
1. I installed 4 plusnuts in the row directly above the wheel well
2. After talking to some people, I was going to go with an L-Track setup but I actually couldn't find any at home depot so instead I just opted for a 4 foot length of square tubing cut in half. This was probably the right decision anyways as it is much stronger
3. Bought a bunch of 2x4s and laid them across and laid some plywood on top of these
4. Screwed everything down.

The whole thing feels rock solid. Zero creaking of any kind.

Against the advice of many, I actually don't have any kind of vertical support underneath the bed. Honestly, based on what I have heard from others, I am not entirely convinced I need it. With that being said, I am going to install something anyways. My plan is to wedge in two 2x4 beams between the top of the wheelwell and the bottom side of the squaretubing rail. I just want to know if you guys think this will be an adequate way to provide additional support or should I add even more?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice! You can install as much or as little additional support as you want with that setup. I don't think any of it will do anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a very specific height requirement for under the bed. I chose to go with using ATV ramps for the platform as I also wanted part or all of the platform to be easily removable.

View attachment 139311

I covered the ramps with 1/4" play and outdoor carpet to finish..
View attachment 139312

You can see here the 3/4" pre finished birch ply walls, the screws at the factory hole locations (plus nuts) and the notches for the ends of the ATV ramps.
View attachment 139313
This looks great - I’m curious any regrets or things you would do differently on this? I think I may do the same. Also - does it ever squeak when you move around on it or in transit? (I wasn’t trying to be punny there). I’m planning on adding a squeak prevention layer where it attaches to the van but was worried the rack itself may squeak.

Thanks in advance. Nice work!

·
Registered
576 Posts
This looks great - I’m curious any regrets or things you would do differently on this? I think I may do the same. Also - does it ever squeak when you move around on it or in transit? (I wasn’t trying to be punny there). I’m planning on adding a squeak prevention layer where it attaches to the van but was worried the rack itself may squeak.

Thanks in advance. Nice work!
Thanks... all quiet so far. I put bike inner tube over the ends of the ramps where they meet the wood. Keeps the rattle down and no squeaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can someone who used the atv ramps for their bed frame post a link or model number. I'm having a problem finding one that will fit.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts