Ford Transit USA Forum banner

ForScan 2.3.2.8 beta, many new parameters including tire dimensions

16K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Whoknows 
#1 ·
Downloaded the latest ForScan 2.3.2.8 beta for Windows and renewed my license key (free) to see what was available. To my surprise there are many more NEW parameters within the BdyCM that are configurable.

If someone wants to test, you may now finally be able to correct the speedometer with larger tires. My exact size wasn't listed but maybe a savey member can find one (or a combination) that works.

Many settings for Tire Circumference
76 settings for Tire Dimension
69 settings for Final Drive Ratio

#4 ·
#3 ·
I downloaded that last week, but did not go in far enough to find any new parameters, will have to check.
Also, when the 2015 is connected it sometimes brings up different settings than the 2018.

#7 ·
I've never had any luck with asking for volunteers .... ;-]

I spent some time looking into it because it was a challenge. That may be enough to get someone to try it and if they do it and can document it they'll get bragging rights for their accomplishment. On both the '15 and '19 it's with larger tires I found the average MPG to being very close to matching my spread sheet calculations. The spread sheet logs the vans miles between tanks and uses a fixed percent to estimate to come up with a calculated miles per tank. It uses the same percent mark up for the van's odometer to get a calculated miles on the van. The percent markup was come up with by using a GPS to track actual miles traveled verses what was on the trip meter and odometer. If you do that with the stock tires you'll find the van's odometer is off by one or two percent anyway. I think +/- 2% is the industry standard.

For me the bottom line is I can live with the odometer and speedometer being off as long as it can be tracked for maintenance intervals. What I like about the way it is with the larger tires is the average MPG is close to being accurate. That works for me because that's not something I can estimate in my head while driving down road.

There is also no way to know how the vans multitude of modules linked by the CAN bus uses tire size in whatever form it's in, where it (or they) are stored. Another possible issue is the "Ignition Counter" getting reset" when doing the PCM Module initialization / relearn vehicle data procedure. As far as what I've read online, you do have to do the relearn procedure for any changes in the tire size to get picked up and put to use.

Edited to add .... sportcoupe Can you post a screen print of the new settings for Tire Circumference?

#15 ·
I'd guess those clever folks over at FORscan . Org have gotten their hands on a 2020. I don't think FOMOCO has plans to let their service techs start re-calibrating transits odometers. But I could be wrong .... ;-]

The axle ratio is already stored in The AS BUILT (.AB) file as a hex value in address 726-04-01. It looked like the two transit tire sizes (235/65R16 & 195/75R16) were stored as a two digit decimal value in address 726-06-01. I could possibly see FOMOCO sticking with that address and format, and using increasing values for different circumference values.

195/75R16 -} Circumference in mm: 2195
235/65R16 -} Circumference in mm: 2235

You can open the file FORscan stores (.ABT) after you save or back up a module with Notepad or the like. You can save the module before and after making a change and compare the two files. I still don't think you'll get the odometer to reflect the change without running PCM Module initialization / relearn vehicle data procedure.

See ....

#16 ·
I'm encouraged by this, though it is not clear so far what changing all of these results in.
Looking forward to experimenting ?

#17 ·
  • Get the FORScan update loaded and the compare plugin for Notepad ++
  • Get everything hooked up in the van and trickle charger on van batteries
  • Plug OBDLink LX Bluetooth into ODBII extension on the console
  • Remember how to get the bluetooth adapter to communicate with FORscan
  • Disable Webroot
  • Start up FORscan and turn on ignition key
  • Save all the modules
  • See what sportcoupe was pointing out
  • Quit while I still haven't bricked anything yet
  • Compare 2019 bdycm asbuilt ori.abt to 2015 bdycm
  • Compare 2019 central config main.cct to copy of same for baseline

When I get more comfortable with the setup I'll change the tire dimension, save it, save the module, change it back and save the module again. Then I'll compare them in Notepad ++ and see if it actually changed. FORscan , Org says somewhere that not all the options really change something.

Just out of curiosity .... ;-]

#19 ·
Like the decor
That's the magnetic flux interior. About 95% is held up with magnets. Bed sheets and reflectix up top - black stretch mesh over the windows (acts like a two way mirror).

============================================>

I changed the file extensions on two Ford "AS BUILT" (.AB) files I had downloaded to .XML so I could view them in a browser. I found the 39 value for DWD 195/75R16 tires in the AS BUILT file for the DWD. The 46 value for the 235/65R16 tires was in the SWD AS BUILT file in the same location. I over laid the lines to show the alignment ....

That seems to validate that they use the values in the screen prints sportcoupe posted in the transit instead of the hex value of the tire circumference that the F150 uses.

If FORscan can write the other values that can be selected to the module and if the relearn procedure can correctly update the PCM ....

#21 ·
Footnote:

Looking at both the tables posted above I didn't see any options larger than a 28.5 inch diameter tire.

On the F150 they could input a larger circumference. It looks like we are limited to the code values supplied.

But I could be wrong .... ;-]

#22 ·
I looked briefly at the use customer tire dimension parameter but so far have not found where to enter that info. I'd love a popup box that would let you enter 245/75/16...

#24 ·
Reactions: sportcoupe
#26 ·
Hmm, works for me, perhaps because of one of the other changed parameters:
-speedometer bias
-use customer tire dimension
-drive ratio

#27 ·
Hmm, works for me, perhaps because of one of the other changed parameters:
-speedometer bias
-use customer tire dimension
-drive ratio
Just want to confirm - you did the forscan update with those 3 parameters and its still working ok and accurate? I have a 2019 Ecoboost Cargo and I just threw a P061A code at about 75,000 miles after 30,000 miles 245/75 wild peaks. (The code is suposedly thrown when the PCM detects a discrepency between the desired torque and the actual torque. My transmission has standard to "clunk" a bit as well. Van runs fully loaded at 9500lbs on T-350 with upgraded suspension.

I'm wondering if I'm doing damage to my engine or tranny as the tires aren't the expected size it has the torque off.
I'm considering 2 options...
1. Going down 1 tire size ( I spend a lot of time off road and really want the ground clearance)
2. Trying the above changes with Forscan
3. Whatever else the brilliant folks on this forum might suggest. :)

Appreciate insights and experiences here. (Also somebody has claimed to succesfully do this on a pre 2020 transit on another forum Ford Transit Speedometer Calibration - Class B Forums)

#31 ·
They sell 4.11 gears for the Ford 9.75 rear diff.

I’m contemplating going to an Eaton true trac and re-gearing in the rear

What kind of front differential do these vans have? I assume it’s just an open diff and there’s no way to upgrade it.

Reactions: Whoknows