Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ford Transit Trail and its unique options & price!

78K views 336 replies 89 participants last post by  Happy Camper 
#1 · (Edited)
We NOW have the information for the 2023 Ford Transit Trail model and with the video, we now can see what one looks like. Here is the listing of the option and what makes up this particular option.

*Transit Trail (47N)
Availability:
  • Cargo van...ONLY body style
  • 3.5L EcoBoost engine (99G)
  • AWD model
*Medium and High roof models with 148" Wheelbase and High roof 148" Wheelbase/Extended Length
* 9,500 GVWR body codes / W2C, W2X, and W3U

Includes:

• 3.5" body lift with improved ground clearance, approach and departure angles
  • 2.75" increase in frontal and rear track width
  • Unique Transit Trail badge
  • 16" Transit Trail Black Alloy Wheels
  • 245/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse All Terrain Tire
  • Slider Style Side Steps (Driver & Passenger sides)
  • Unique Black Transit Trail Grille with integrated grille lamps
  • Black HID Headlamps (91C)
  • Unique Skid Plate Style Front Bumper
  • Unique Transit Trail Splash Guards and Wheel Arch Cladding
  • Front Wheel Arch Liners
  • Intelligent Access with Push Button Start (41J)
  • Blind Spot Assist 1.0 (65A)
  • Front Fog Lamps (55D)
  • Auxiliary Fuse Panel with High Spec Interface Connector (87E)
  • Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4 way manual Swivel Driver & Passenger Seats (21T)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio, and 12" Display (58C)
  • High Resolution Digital Camera (61E)
  • Power Outlet - 110V/400W (90D)
  • Power Point - 12V (87A)
  • Front Overhead Shelf (66D)
  • Reverse Sensing System (43R)
  • Side Sensing System (94A)
  • Fixed Rear Cargo Door Glass and Fixed Passenger Side Glass (17B)
  • Illuminated Sun Visors (85C)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (60D) except w/ Audio package 58F
  • Privacy Glass (92E)
  • Dual AGM Batteries (63E)
  • Keyless Entry Pad (52C)
  • Dual Note Horns (85D)
  • B-Pillar Assist Handle (41B)
  • Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow package (53B)
    Upgradeable Features/Options
    (additional charge options)
  • Roof Vent (76B)
  • Extended Range Fuel Tank (655)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio with Navigation, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (iACC) and 12" Audio Package (58F)
  • 360 Degree Camera with Split View feature and Front Washer (61D)
  • Upfitter Package (67C)
  • Ebony Leather, 10 way Power Heated Driver & Passenger seats (21S)
NON Available Options
* Remote Start (68B)
* Heavy-Duty Cargo Flooring (60B)
* Exterior Upgrade Package - SRW (18D)/ DRW (18L)
* Rear View Display in Rear View Mirror (61B)
* MyKey (62B)
* Rear Bumper Delete (43F)
* Interior Upgrade Package (96C)
* Load Area Protection Package (96D)
* Reverse Brake Assist (43S)
* 'E' Transit
* Front/Rear A/C with floor heat (57G)
* Bulkheads - Options (47T) and (47U)
* Heavy-Duty Scuff Plate Kit (85B)
* Enhanced Active Park Assist (94B)
* Virtual Rear View Mirror (90C)
* ANY Factory Running Boards (68H) (68L) (68J)

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey, if it was available with a PHEV drivetrain, I'd be interested. Maybe in a couple years. I don't think I'd drop any money on a new totally ICE vehicle at this point. Unless I thought it would be a collector's item (the last of the V8s) in 25 years. But seriously, I'll very likely be dead in 25 years, so what's the point?

#9 ·
So you can't option for opening glass on the slider? sucks.
And I guess optioning for no glass so you can add better/more functional aftermarket windows later is also off the table. Only a psychopath would want no windows whatsoever!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

#12 ·
Wow, okay I'm fairly impressed overall! Interesting. Almost every pre-existing option they added are ones I have on our build we ordered two months ago. And all of the new "Trail" options are ones I'd be adding with aftermarket kits, either DIY or shop-installed.

Time to update the spreadsheet to see how all their "Trail" options compare to the aftermarket costs for our build!

I don't like the idea of cancelling our order, but I DO like the idea of many options being standard, covered under warranty, etc.

#47 ·
If you are referring to @surly Bill's comment in post #5, he said his preference is for a PHEV not an EV.

A PHEV Ford Transit would make a lot of sense economic and operational sense for MANY owners. In fact it seems to me that the heavier the vehicle the more advantageous regenerative drivetrains make sense.

Personally a plain old HEV would probably better suit my use scenario ... unless the additional battery capacity typical of a plug in hybrid could be user controlled to double as a house battery.

FWIW - both hybrid variants would likely have an even greater range than an ICE van.

#16 · (Edited)
I see. It's not immediately apparent what the cost difference is from the previous Adventure Package.

I would love to know what a 2WX with this package total cost would be.

#15 ·
Once they reveal the price for this package we will really know who this offering is for.
Judging from the great emphasis on appearance, I already have some idea.

The factory lift, offset and tires, however, would be really nice.

Reactions: ADVMuppet
#17 · (Edited)
FYI this van does not have a 3.5 inch lift. It has a 2.25 inch body lift much like a Qlift. The 3.5 inch lift includes the larger tires. The wider track is just from wheel offset.

Essentially this is a medium roof, awd transit with a subframe lift, different wheels and tires, and some body cladding. Worth 12,600? Not with the cost of a qlift and a bumper.

Attachments

#19 ·
Considering the appearance of our van with a Q lift, I find it difficult to believe that this thing has a 3.5 inch lift. Not to mention the impossibility of the awd system being lifted that much feasibly. I think they are counting a 2 inch subframe lift plus the increased factory tire size. Also, it sure looks like the “increased track width” is all in the wheel offset.

View attachment 181249
They are using the increased suspension lift + the added tire height.

#25 ·
Okay, so currently our build would theoretically consist of:

Van Cost: $68,250 (2023 350 HR Long, W2X)
Parts Cost: $43,377
Total Cost: $111,627

If we assume $68k for the base Transit Trail, plus adding the few options that were missing from my above build:
  • High Roof: $3,100 (based on the current difference between medium and high roof LWB cargo van pricing)
  • 31 gallon fuel tank: $285
  • 360 degree camera: $1000
  • Upfitter package: $610
The total for my equivalent van is about $72,995.

My costs for parts drops about $7000 when I remove
  • Aftermarket Method 701 wheels ($995 for 5, on sale)
  • Falken Wildpeak AT/3 tires ($1204 installed, Discount Tire)
  • VC Stage 3 TOPO 2.0 ($1956.24, doesn't even include install)
  • Stoked Adventure nerf bars ($1800)

Putting the equivalent Ford Transit Trail at $109,275 for a very similar build, making it about $2400 cheaper and including the Ford warranty on all of the above parts. I could always add a VC kit down the line if I feel like I wanted adjustable shocks, etc.

That seems pretty tempting to me, assuming Ford can start catching up on orders some day!

#29 ·
If you already have a Transit order with the W2C, W2X, or W3U body code, we can add the Transit Trail option to it based on the information we got from Ford today. I am communicating with Jennifer Mitchell via the Ford Transit Brand Group who you saw on the Ford video to see about making changes from other body codes you may have on your current order. Any body code changes made at this point on a retail customer order entered before 9/22 will go 'Balanced Out' (aka cancelled) so trying to get this change made. Another request is getting the 17B window option (FIXED side door and FIXED rear door windows) changed so you could order the Transit Trail with NO windows or just rear door windows.

I can order a stock ordered Transit now and already have some built and waiting for scheduling. Problem is they are NOT price protected so the actual pricing is not in effect until the Transit is built and Ford passes the actual dealer pricing to us. That makes it a hard sell since we have current MSRP pricing but if Ford changes pricing like they did on the 2022 models (and already have changed pricing on the 2023 models) then we can't give you a firm selling price.

#31 ·
I have already been playing around with some previous 'saved' old orders and If you have a existing order that can be changed to the Transit Trail option, it gives 'error' exceptions on the options that have to be 'deleted' to make the Transit Trail option valid for processing a 'Unscheduled - Clean' order.

#32 ·
You couldn’t pay me to get an unreliable sprinter with a terribly underpowered engine.

even though it’s annoying, probably wouldn’t be very difficult to replace the fixed passenger glass with an aftermarket one that opens for the slider. Windows get broken all the time

#36 ·
The wider track came from wheels that are probably wider and have a lower offset, pushing the wheels out by about and inch or so on each side. You can tell these wheel do not have centers that poke out as much. One of the aftermarket wheel suppliers made something similar for the AWD models to have a more aggressive offset. (wider track)
The "skid plate" is plastic and mostly cosmetic. You don't really gain any protection.

#38 · (Edited)
The only way to increase track width with wheels is a decreased offset. Wider wheels do not increase track width (the width from the center of the driver side wheel to the center of the passenger side wheel)

#43 ·
Do we know how much the roof vent add-on would cost? I don’t mind that being factory installed, one less hole to cut. Although if it’s significantly more expensive I’ll just DIY.

#49 ·
@CrewVanMan Thank greatly for the order guide updates.
I have a 47N optioned order with HD trailer tow package and trailer brake controller as extra cost, do you now see these as 0 cost on your orders?

Curious what approximate ratio do you see for vanlife awd customers of mid vs high roof, and LWB vs LWB XL?