Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ford Transit Trail and its unique options & price!

13090 172
We NOW have the information for the 2023 Ford Transit Trail model and with the video, we now can see what one looks like. Here is the listing of the option and what makes up this particular option.

*Transit Trail (47N)
Availability:
  • Cargo van...ONLY body style
  • 3.5L EcoBoost engine (99G)
  • AWD model
*Medium and High roof models with 148" Wheelbase and High roof 148" Wheelbase/Extended Length
* 9,500 GVWR body codes / W2C, W2X, and W3U

Includes:

• 3.5" body lift with improved ground clearance, approach and departure angles
  • 2.75" increase in frontal and rear track width
  • Unique Transit Trail badge
  • 16" Transit Trail Black Alloy Wheels
  • 245/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse All Terrain Tire
  • Slider Style Side Steps (Driver & Passenger sides)
  • Unique Black Transit Trail Grille with integrated grille lamps
  • Black HID Headlamps (91C)
  • Unique Skid Plate Style Front Bumper
  • Unique Transit Trail Splash Guards and Wheel Arch Cladding
  • Front Wheel Arch Liners
  • Intelligent Access with Push Button Start (41J)
  • Blind Spot Assist 1.0 (65A)
  • Front Fog Lamps (55D)
  • Auxiliary Fuse Panel with High Spec Interface Connector (87E)
  • Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4 way manual Swivel Driver & Passenger Seats (21T)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio, and 12" Display (58C)
  • High Resolution Digital Camera (61E)
  • Power Outlet - 110V/400W (90D)
  • Power Point - 12V (87A)
  • Front Overhead Shelf (66D)
  • Reverse Sensing System (43R)
  • Side Sensing System (94A)
  • Fixed Rear Cargo Door Glass and Fixed Passenger Side Glass (17B)
  • Illuminated Sun Visors (85C)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (60D) except w/ Audio package 58F
  • Privacy Glass (92E)
  • Dual AGM Batteries (63E)
  • Keyless Entry Pad (52C)
  • Dual Note Horns (85D)
  • B-Pillar Assist Handle (41B)
  • Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow package (53B)
    Upgradeable Features/Options
    (additional charge options)
  • Roof Vent (76B)
  • Extended Range Fuel Tank (655)
  • SYNC4 with Sirius XM, 360L, HD Radio with Navigation, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (iACC) and 12" Audio Package (58F)
  • 360 Degree Camera with Split View feature and Front Washer (61D)
  • Upfitter Package (67C)
  • Ebony Leather, 10 way Power Heated Driver & Passenger seats (21S)
NON Available Options
* Remote Start (68B)
* Heavy-Duty Cargo Flooring (60B)
* Exterior Upgrade Package - SRW (18D)/ DRW (18L)
* Rear View Display in Rear View Mirror (61B)
* MyKey (62B)
* Rear Bumper Delete (43F)
* Interior Upgrade Package (96C)
* Load Area Protection Package (96D)
* Reverse Brake Assist (43S)
* 'E' Transit
* Front/Rear A/C with floor heat (57G)
* Bulkheads - Options (47T) and (47U)
* Heavy-Duty Scuff Plate Kit (85B)
* Enhanced Active Park Assist (94B)
* Virtual Rear View Mirror (90C)
* ANY Factory Running Boards (68H) (68L) (68J)
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Crew Van AWD, EcoBoost, 148, HR, Adventure Package
99 Posts
I own a 2021 Ford Transit all wheel drive. My husband ordered without the glass on the side door slider. To this day we regret that decision. (He was after the added security of no glass) THE DRIVER CAN NOT SEE ONCOMING TRAFFIC FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VECHICLE. Often the passenger has to play lookout. We discussed adding a camera on the passenger side of the van. Not a serious problem if one takes extreme care when backing out.
We had some heavy florida rains and made the decision to drive off road on our property. The all wheel drive kept kicking in and out, even set for mud, and low range. We barely got back on the road. The dealership was not surprised when we brought up the subject. If you read the manual, no more than two miles of driving on the beach. We are experienced off roaders. We do not plan on experiencing and more off road driving with this van. I only bring this up to possibly someone getting stuck out in the woods.
Overall, we like the van for camping and traveling across country. It does a good job towing a loaded trailer. We would buy a 4 wheel drive if we wanted to go do more off road stuff.
Interesting. That has not been our experience. We've been on some extremely gnarly back country "roads" that were very rocky, rutted, steep incline/declines, sandy, crossing deep streams, etc. We were super impressed with how easily our Transit handled it all, shocked even. We have not been on extended distance in sand however. Our only modifications have been diff and intercooler skid plates, sway bar and tires, we added KO2's. (255/70) Sway bar and tires made a huge difference. So far we are in love with our van!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting. That has not been our experience. We've been on some extremely gnarly back country "roads" that were very rocky, rutted, steep incline/declines, sandy, crossing deep streams, etc. We were super impressed with how easily our Transit handled it all, shocked even. We have not been on extended distance in sand however. Our only modification are diff and intercooler skid plates, sway bar and tires, we added KO2's. (255/70) Sway bar and tires made a huge difference. So far we are in love with our van!
I'm a big fan of KO2's. Did you put on different sway bars, and which skids did you use? I have a modified Rubicon for hard core off road, but I also appreciate off road competence in other rigs.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I'm a big fan of KO2's. Did you put on different sway bars, and which skids did you use? I have a modified Rubicon for hard core off road, but I also appreciate off road competence in other rigs.
We got both skids from VanCompass. Looked into aftermarket sway bars, but decided on the Ford sway bar. It bolted right in, no issues. Very beefy. Our Transit model even had all the bolts already welded in place so issues there either. I understand some models won't already have them. The only issue we had was with the sway bar plus the K02 as a spare, the spare didn't fit all the way the up into the spare tire well. But it went in enough to be secure and still well above the the lowest part of the diff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We got both skids from VanCompass. Looked into aftermarket sway bars, but decided on the Ford sway bar. It bolted right in, no issues. Very beefy. Our Transit model even had all the bolts already welded in place so issues there either. I understand some models won't already have them. The only issue we had was with the sway bar plus the K02 as a spare, the spare didn't fit all the way the up into the spare tire well. But it went in enough to be secure and still well above the the lowest part of the diff.
Great info, thanks. I assume (since I don't have my van yet and cannot look) that the Transit comes with a front bar but not a rear bar? I assume the improvement in ride trumped any possible lose in articulation?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So assuming that the Trail will be an empty van to start. I'm curious how it will be treated.
Individual state rules notwithstanding, I would think it would be the same as a cargo van. Because it is a cargo van body code, just with an option package. It's not a passenger van, or even a crew van. It's the usual cargo van body code but just with the Trail option package (just like a cargo van with the Adventure Package would still have been a cargo van body code).

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
i ran into a couple the other day at a restaurant with a brand new Sprinter Van with a custom build-out. It looked really nice so I complemented them on a really sharp looking van. the very first words they said were: we wish we had bought a Transit Van. and then went on to tell me of all the problems with the van -not the build. very unhappy campers.
ooo, do tell! :D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
A bit off topic for this thread but I'd like to comment on the above. Apologies for the wordy post, I talk too much :) Feel free to DM me for more info.

1) The AWD is constantly on, it does not kick in and out. Especially in MudRuts mode, it sends torque to the front axle all the time. Unfortunately the front diff is open (not locking or limited slip) and sometimes the brake controls can struggle to prevent one wheel from slipping. The AWD is still sending torque but it's escaping through the diff to a slipping wheel. A 4x4 would behave exactly the same with an open front diff and brake controls not tuned for aggressive off road driving.

If the rear wheels are slipping without either of the front wheels turning then yes, AWD is not performing well. In this case the system should "kick on" with additional torque to stop the slip. This is sometimes apparent on slippery surfaces if you have the steering wheel turned; the AWD system slip response may pulse or oscillate, giving the impression it's kicking on/off. This is a necessary evil of the way fulltime AWD systems operate.

In your off road experience I suspect the AWD torque was working well but the front diff was allowing one/both of the front wheels to slip. I'd welcome more details on your experience.

By the way did "AWD Temporarily Disabled" ever display in your cluster?

2) Driving/creeping through mud is very different than two miles in deep sand. Sand driving is super tough for heavy commercial vehicles, mostly because of the very high placard tire pressures. It takes a toll on the whole powertrain from the engine through to the axles. Decreasing tire pressures during careful, low-speed driving on sand dramatically reduces the power/effort required to drive and trust me when I say your AWD can drive basically indefinitely on sand if you run tire pressures in the 20-30psi range. Obviously be aware of things like speed and vehicle weight and always be careful.

3) When you say Low Range I assume you mean manual mode / first gear on the transmission? The AWD system doesn't offer a low range but even if it did, that wouldn't be the best setting for mud. Leave it in Drive (or at least 2nd/3rd gear) and let some revs and vehicle speed build up. Remember this 10-speed has extremely short gears compared to a 5/6 speed, so first gear is almost a crawl gear. For mud you want more speed and momentum.
I’m curious if adding a limited slip front diff is possible on these vans 🤔

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Great info, thanks. I assume (since I don't have my van yet and cannot look) that the Transit comes with a front bar but not a rear bar? I assume the improvement in ride trumped any possible lose in articulation?
Correct, front bar, no rear. Passenger vans do come with the rear bar. (Possibly other specific models as well?) Not sure what is meant by articulation in this sense. Highway stability like buffeting from semis and cross winds was improved as was highway speed corning. Even smaller things like turning into a parking lot from the road diagonally was improved by the damping of the body wanting to rock back and forth from the entry angle over the driveway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Correct, front bar, no rear. Passenger vans do come with the rear bar. (Possibly other specific models as well?) Not sure what is meant by articulation in this sense. Highway stability like buffeting from semis and cross winds was improved as was highway speed corning. Even smaller things like turning into a parking lot from the road diagonally was improved by the damping of the body wanting to rock back and forth from the entry angle over the driveway.
In the on the road sense articulation doesn't apply--I agree. I was talking about off-road, where sway bars can limit downward travel of a wheel resulting in it floating above the terrain--of course, I'm not certain that a Transit should necessarily be on that kind of terrain in the first place, but that is what was behind my comment.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
In the on the road sense articulation doesn't apply--I agree. I was talking about off-road, where sway bars can limit downward travel of a wheel resulting in it floating above the terrain--of course, I'm not certain that a Transit should necessarily be on that kind of terrain in the first place, but that is what was behind my comment.
ahh, got it. No data on that one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The videos of the Trail show a rear door tire carrier. Is there any information on that yet? Also is there any provision for a front recovery point?

The lift and tires would be great, but I can not do without the passenger wagon.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,665 Posts
The videos of the Trail show a rear door tire carrier. Is there any information on that yet?
None yet. The Trail in the videos has been outfitted by a third party. I suspect that the rear tire carrier was part of that. It may be that the larger 30.5 inch tire no longer fits in the OEM spare tire carrier, but I would expect Ford to address that when they ramp up for production. I can't see them having an OEM rear door mounted spare.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This can bring into play if you need to have the rear door 180* or 270* option. If you have the tire on the rear door, you should probably stay with the 180* door to keep from hitting the side of the van.
Even with the 180* opening doors, the still hits the side of the van.

upside is that unless you are slamming it open, it shouldn’t dent the side of the van

·
Registered
On order R2D 250 Med Roof Crew AWD
158 Posts
Just wait and see what items will be offered through the Ford parts dealer and then you may add the ones you like to your CrewVan. I may be adding some to my 2020 CrewVan as well.
I'd mostly be interested in the lift. I'm not sure they will make those parts available but it would be interesting if they did.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Ecoboost High Roof
228 Posts
I'd mostly be interested in the lift. I'm not sure they will make those parts available but it would be interesting if they did.
Given Ford's relationship with Quigley, I can basically guarantee that the lift is essentially a Q lift. You won't be able to get the parts by themselves from Quigley, but you can sure get a lift for 3-4k installed.

·
Registered
On order R2D 250 Med Roof Crew AWD
158 Posts
None yet. The Trail in the videos has been outfitted by a third party. I suspect that the rear tire carrier was part of that. It may be that the larger 30.5 inch tire no longer fits in the OEM spare tire carrier, but I would expect Ford to address that when they ramp up for production. I can't see them having an OEM rear door mounted spare.
I was really curious how Ford would address the tires not fitting underneath with the larger tire size.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts