Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ford Transit Production Begins In Kansas

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  bobojay 
#1 ·

It's official! Ford has begun production of its new full-size cargo van, the Transit, at its Kansas City Assembly Plant. With production underway, the Transit will go on sale at dealerships this summer.

Ford hired 2,000 new workers at its Kansas City facility in order to support Transit production.

Once the Transit goes on sale, Ford will phase out the E-Series van. The E-Series van will be sold alongside the Transit until the end of the year though.

Very exciting... Whose going to sign up for a Transit?

See less See more
#6 ·
What an exciting time here in Ford Country!
The transit finally rolls of the line, makes it's T.V. debut, and Mark Fields named Ford CEO today!
I think I'll celebrate by ordering by the end of next month!
And how special is the naming of Fields to the head of the company?
THIS special!
Rabbi Jason Miller - Blog: Ford Motor Company Announces New Jewish CEO

#7 ·
Not to nitpick here, but to nitpick, the assembly plant is in Missouri, not Kansas. And it's not in Kansas City, but in Claycomo MO. (It's a suburb of KC)

#8 ·
No big deal, the "Detroit" Iron was built in Hamtramck, Flint, Pontiac, River Rouge, Wixom, Dearborn, etc.
MB Sprinters will be from "Germany", and Transits will be from "Kansas City"
Just the way it is.

#11 ·
I just posted that it was in Kansas city because that is what the article that I read said. I'm guessing it is the closest major city or something.

I guess it makes sense to build cars in the center of America. Easy shipping to every corner of the country.

#14 ·
I am driving a November 1994 built 1995 Ford F150. I bought it two years old with 26k miles. The original windshield came with a sticker on the lower right corner saying Built with Pride at Kansas City Assembly Plant. A rock on a highway made me change the windshield. I visited the plant in 2005, they were not operating tours then.

Greg Hayden

#15 ·
I noticed the name in front of the plant also, Just a excited comment about touring the plant as I know all plants don't give tours, My Ranger had that small oval decal ("Built with Pide") which was lost also with a glass change.
Back to the show: I am like a kid in a candy store looking at the production photos, lots of white ones, COOL!!!

VanMan

#16 ·
OK guys, last plant location comment here. I live in Kansas City. The Ford assembly plant is actually in the city of Claycomo, Mo. (very small) Some of the supplier plants are in Kansas City, Mo. hence the made in Kansas City label.
Some of the supplier plants also make parts for the General Motors plant in Kansas City, Kansas, that currently makes the Malibu & Buick Lacrosse.

The made in KC label is used on all 4 of the vehicles that are made here, even though technically the Ford products aren't actually assembled in KC.

No big deal in any case.....

#17 ·
looks like Ford is aiming to add 12,000 people to the KC facility by year end. If this forum is any indication there's going to be some LOOONG wait times before they get the plant operating at capacity.

New van means new jobs as Ford ahead of employment goal

oh and for the pedants :D

Hinrichs is at Ford's retooled Kansas City plant, at Claycomo, Mo., today where almost 5,000 employees have started assembly of the 2015 Ford Transit that is being built and sold in the U.S. for the first time.The workforce includes an additional 2,000 employees, most of them new hires, to add a third crew to the plant.

#18 ·
Not 12,000 to KC. It was about 2000 here, almost half of which were laid off from the Escape line which went to Kentucky early last year.
Full on production is not expected till mid/late summer with a rather slow implementation of all the eventual options

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.