Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What does Hong Kong have in common with New York City, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles? Other than being a large, cosmopolitan metropolis it’s also the latest municipality to select Ford’s Transit Connect Taxi for duty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the question I guess the answer would be the huge population in small cities and the amount of people that depend on taxi services for commuting. the the Transit has room for more passengers I am just thinking if it would be worth it for the driver. Have to consider the fare charge and cost of fuel for a vehicle of this size.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What is it about the Ford Transit Taxi that makes it so great because wasn't there another company who was making the taxi of tomorrow? I imagine that it is a pretty fierce competition to get the contract for these major cities.

·
Registered
216 Posts
cool. that is good to hear

they will get lots of sales as the last time i visited hong kong 90% of the vehicles were taxies.

·
Registered
166 Posts
are you sure about NYC? I was fairly certain Nissan recieved the contract for the Taxi of Tomorrow there...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the response would be the large inhabitants in small places and the number of individuals that rely on cab solutions for travelling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been following the NY 'Taxi of Tomorrow' debacle for a while. I am handicap and my wife is from NY. There are 2 main issues:

1. It was ruled that the city can't force taxi owners to buy a specific vehicle.
2. It was ruled that the taxis need to meet ADA guidelines.

There is a tentative agreement that 50% of the taxis will meet ADA guidelines by 2020. Nissan demonstrated a converted NV200 that meets ADA guidelines but it is a joke. It can only accommodate the wheelchair and 1 other passenger making it virtually useless as a regular taxi.

Ford has a real chance to provide a solution with the Transit Connect if it makes a ground-up handicap version. This would be a version that is slightly higher, a wide side entrance and a built in ramp. Right now the focus is on the MV-1 providing over half the taxis that need to meet ADA guidelines.

The MV-1 Is Back In Business | The Truth About Cars

Other cities and disability community are following this. I expect this will be the model for all major cities.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Starting to think maybe taxi drivers should receive a tax credit for buying taxi's that fit under their guidelines, that might help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thats a good move, im sure if it was up to taxi drivers they would rather not have to buy a handicap taxi due to the cost, at least this way they are encouraged if they want to go that route with the funding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts