Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Having just gone through the research on this you are way better off installing an aftermarket brake controller. I installed a Tokonsha primus IQ. There is a YouTube video that walks you through it on a 2016 Transit 250.
If I can located the proper connector and pins it isn't anymore difficult to install the OE controller. The brake controller wires are right there on the upfitter switch pigtail.

I just need the proper pigtail or connector/pins to make my own pigtail that includes both upfitter switches and brake controller. Or I try to find a wrecked Transit with both options and grab the pigtail harness. Doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same boat

I purchased a 2018 Transit 350 cutaway with 3.7L and dealer agreed to supply brake controller and flash. Suspiciously they did not want to have service department install. Vehicle has upfit switches but the sub-harness is missing the leg that goes to the trailer brake controller and a part number hasn't been located after over an hour dealing with their parts counter. I'll pound my head into the wall a little more tomorrow but if these intellectual midgets can't make it work, they can have the **** truck back.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Transit 350 cutaway with 3.7L and dealer agreed to supply brake controller and flash. Suspiciously they did not want to have service department install. Vehicle has upfit switches but the sub-harness is missing the leg that goes to the trailer brake controller and a part number hasn't been located after over an hour dealing with their parts counter. I'll pound my head into the wall a little more tomorrow but if these intellectual midgets can't make it work, they can have the **** truck back.

If by some miracle they do make it work, please get the part numbers for the necessary ingredients for their magic spell to be successfully cast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If by some miracle they do make it work, please get the part numbers for the necessary ingredients for their magic spell to be successfully cast.
This is getting more and more bizarre. I tried to post link but apparently, I'm not worthy.

I went to parts dot Ford and searched by application not VIN. I scrolled through a couple hundred harnesses and found one. It has a part number of 14A411 and countless other harnesses have same number. This one has a price and illustration and convincing illustration. Description is Usage: 08/15/2016 - 08/12/2018, Integrated Brake Control, With Aux Fuse Panel

wire-assy-6495047-1 is the last bit of the URL.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
T
I went to parts dot Ford and searched by application not VIN. I scrolled through a couple hundred harnesses and found one. It has a part number of 14A411 and countless other harnesses have same number.
Ford uses "call out numbers" in their online parts- they are basically useless as they are not the real part number.
I found if you click the online chat button they will give you the real part number if you ask.
Dumb system.

Or try to find it on some dealer parts site once you have the actual real name (according to Ford) of the part- they usually show the actual part number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It WORKED!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how enthusiastic others will be.

For starters, here are the details of my van:
  • Transit 350 chassi cab with Reading CSV body, 3.7L engine, heavy duty tow package, upfit switches, Ford radio with Bluetooth (NOT Sync)
  • If you want the Monroney sticker or parts listing, VIN is 1FDBW5PM7JKA94649
  • Purchased off lot with a dealer we owe of OEM brake controller parts and necessary flash
  • Due to the auxilary switches, the center portion of dash had correct plastic and single cup holder. Area for brake controller was occupied by a weird coin holder thing.
  • Dealer was friendly and accommodating but quite hesitant to offer addition of OEM brake controller and tried to offer aftermarket several times. I was stubborn and could not imagine this being a difficult request.
Part came in a few days later and was the Trailer Brake Control module. It included not wiring. I removed dash pieces with a trim stick and two 8mm screws in driver foot well. There I found a harness to left of glovebox with a plug that had several suspect pins not populated. I asked parts to order correct sub-harness and was unable to locate part number. I located a van with both options and searched Ford parts and initially only found the callout number. When viewing source on the parts site, I found attributes with a valid part number. The connectors in illustration were slightly different and part retailed around $85. I did not feel I should have to pay and they did not want to order another part that may not solve problem.

Sales staff eventually allowed me to pop cup holder out of a van with an OEM brake controller. They did not have one on lot with both. They gave me that sub-harness and told me to choose between upfit switches and brake controller. I pulled out my razor blade and started cutting harness tape off and I realized I could just repin both these cables into one. Service manager was super nice and gave me a work area and a few helpful tools. Harness tape was a nightmare to remove as the upfit switches loop back the high speed can while the trailer brake module connects. Try not to nick the white and white-blue tracer wires (or any of them for that matter). Slow and steady and the tape was gone. Pins are removed by sliding white cover off the end of connector and pushing back housing with a small straight pick (I suppose a sewing needle would work). After making my cable up, rewrapped in harness tape and installed.

Service tech hooked up VCM II and attempted to enable the module. No such option was available. He was able to see the value of the gain and the application of brakes. Tested with trailer and all worked.

One notable limitation is that the vehicle does not have Sync and there is no UI relating to trailer brakes. Gain adjusts but you have no way to see it. Performance of brake controller seems very good. I turned gain up all the way and initiated sway and felt brakes apply.

Sadly, this took 6 hours of my time and a lot of the dealers time. Had I had the part number off of one of the sub-harnesses for a van having both, it would have been as simple as ordering brake controller and sub-harness and installing. If I did not have the heavy duty tow package, I'd be missing the relay module. If I did not have the upfit switches, I'd of had to order 3 pieces of trim. I'm not even sure flash is needed although I can't be 100% as I was not running the laptop. If you do not have upfit switches, I hope these part numbers help. I think dealer will be sufficiently motivated to locate the part as they now have a van on lot with a brake controller and no wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how enthusiastic others will be.

For starters, here are the details of my van:
  • Transit 350 chassi cab with Reading CSV body, 3.7L engine, heavy duty tow package, upfit switches, Ford radio with Bluetooth (NOT Sync)
  • If you want the Monroney sticker or parts listing, VIN is 1FDBW5PM7JKA94649
  • Purchased off lot with a dealer we owe of OEM brake controller parts and necessary flash
  • Due to the auxilary switches, the center portion of dash had correct plastic and single cup holder. Area for brake controller was occupied by a weird coin holder thing.
  • Dealer was friendly and accommodating but quite hesitant to offer addition of OEM brake controller and tried to offer aftermarket several times. I was stubborn and could not imagine this being a difficult request.
Part came in a few days later and was the Trailer Brake Control module. It included not wiring. I removed dash pieces with a trim stick and two 8mm screws in driver foot well. There I found a harness to left of glovebox with a plug that had several suspect pins not populated. I asked parts to order correct sub-harness and was unable to locate part number. I located a van with both options and searched Ford parts and initially only found the callout number. When viewing source on the parts site, I found attributes with a valid part number. The connectors in illustration were slightly different and part retailed around $85. I did not feel I should have to pay and they did not want to order another part that may not solve problem.

Sales staff eventually allowed me to pop cup holder out of a van with an OEM brake controller. They did not have one on lot with both. They gave me that sub-harness and told me to choose between upfit switches and brake controller. I pulled out my razor blade and started cutting harness tape off and I realized I could just repin both these cables into one. Service manager was super nice and gave me a work area and a few helpful tools. Harness tape was a nightmare to remove as the upfit switches loop back the high speed can while the trailer brake module connects. Try not to nick the white and white-blue tracer wires (or any of them for that matter). Slow and steady and the tape was gone. Pins are removed by sliding white cover off the end of connector and pushing back housing with a small straight pick (I suppose a sewing needle would work). After making my cable up, rewrapped in harness tape and installed.

Service tech hooked up VCM II and attempted to enable the module. No such option was available. He was able to see the value of the gain and the application of brakes. Tested with trailer and all worked.

One notable limitation is that the vehicle does not have Sync and there is no UI relating to trailer brakes. Gain adjusts but you have no way to see it. Performance of brake controller seems very good. I turned gain up all the way and initiated sway and felt brakes apply.

Sadly, this took 6 hours of my time and a lot of the dealers time. Had I had the part number off of one of the sub-harnesses for a van having both, it would have been as simple as ordering brake controller and sub-harness and installing. If I did not have the heavy duty tow package, I'd be missing the relay module. If I did not have the upfit switches, I'd of had to order 3 pieces of trim. I'm not even sure flash is needed although I can't be 100% as I was not running the laptop. If you do not have upfit switches, I hope these part numbers help. I think dealer will be sufficiently motivated to locate the part as they now have a van on lot with a brake controller and no wire.
Great info, thanks for posting!

Just to add more info...you can order the accessory kit that will include the brake controller harness and harnesses for the upfitter switches and related items. This harness will include wires for aftermarket switches. Since I have factory switches I'm about to do what you did. Blend the two together to make a single harness that includes connectors for both OE upfitter switches and OE brake controller. The accessory harness kit that includes a harness for the OE brake controller is part number HK4Z-14A411-BA it was $93.

Just noticed it was mentioned above. I can confirm it includes the brake controller harness.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Inexplicable that Ford puts its customers through so much aggravation for an option that costs about one half of one percent of the total van cost - and then rarely has it included where wanted.
It could be included in the trailer option and the price difference would not be noticed.

·
Super Moderator
1,343 Posts
Agreed. They have an option called a trailer tow package, but it doesn't come with a brake controller or trailer mirrors.

Using that failed logic, it would be like having an Alloy wheel option that doesn't include the tires, or a rear window defroster option that doesn't include the glass.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After a little struggle with the adapter not getting a good connection to my OBD port I was able to successfully program the entire tow package to function as it should as if it were ordered from Ford.

I configured all three modules. The BCM, TCM, and the TBCM.

I have a fully functioning OE brake controller that displays the gain in the instrument cluster as it should.

Very happy. Laptop battery was getting low enough to the point I didn't want to risk the laptop shutting off in the middle of programming. I want to figure out how to turn off the bulb out message since I'm running LED's everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts