Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, new Transit owner here. The wife and I decided to buy a travel trailer shortly after purchasing our Transit. Down here in Southern California they were virtually impossible to find due to the recall, but we finally found the one that we wanted (Magnetic Gray, SWB, LR, 10 pass with Ecoboost and Tow Package) and purchased it. The only downside was that even though it had the heavy duty trailering package, it did not have the integrated trailer brake. I am not a fan of mounting an aftermarket one under my steering column, so I am currently in talks with my dealer about putting the factory controller in, but I also found a new OEM 2015-16 Transit brake controller on eBay for quite a bit cheaper. What I cannot find are any pictures online of where it goes in the dash. The owners manual has not been any help. Can anyone help me out with the placement of the factory controller? Thank you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It goes here as indicated by the red arrow. Sorry about the lousy photo quality, I had to crop n edit big time to get it to show up. I can do a better quality photo when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have the console with 2 cupholders, I guess would have to get a different console or cut into my existing. I will see what my dealer has to say when they call me back. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You will have to go with a aftermarket trailer brake controller. The console is completely different for the factory installed unit. You might go to www.etrailer.com and look at their information on installing a trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also ask if your dealer can add the trailer brake menu to your information display. My dealer still has no idea.
I didn't even know there was a section for the trailer brake in the menu system. I haven't dug into menu options yet, I need to. Thanks for the head's up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trailer Brake Controller

Hey All, new Transit owner here. The wife and I decided to buy a travel trailer shortly after purchasing our Transit. Down here in Southern California they were virtually impossible to find due to the recall, but we finally found the one that we wanted (Magnetic Gray, SWB, LR, 10 pass with Ecoboost and Tow Package) and purchased it. The only downside was that even though it had the heavy duty trailering package, it did not have the integrated trailer brake. I am not a fan of mounting an aftermarket one under my steering column, so I am currently in talks with my dealer about putting the factory controller in, but I also found a new OEM 2015-16 Transit brake controller on eBay for quite a bit cheaper. What I cannot find are any pictures online of where it goes in the dash. The owners manual has not been any help. Can anyone help me out with the placement of the factory controller? Thank you.
I am trying to do the same thing. I found the OEM controller but cant find the plastic cup holder unit w/ the controller&upfitter switch cut outs. Was your dealer able to install or help out??

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
its a nightmare... as crewvanman said! it can be done but to do it right it will cost you over 1,000 dollars to do it right. (the instrument cluster has to be replaced in you now have the standard cluster.) get an aftermarket brake controller.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
ranxerox is correct!

The factory Trailer Brake Controller uses the Level 2 Instrumentation to display the trailer setting. If you do not have Level 2, there is NO WAY to install the factory unit with the display. You can buy the controls for the console and do all of that, but you would not have the digital setting that comes with the factory unit.

I know of a few dealers who have installed the factory controller, changing out the dash pieces and wiring, but NOT THE DISPLAY. So if you want the factory controller like in the first picture, that is DOABLE.

The Upfitter switches are not part of the Trailer Brake Controller package. They are a separate options so you can get each one separate or together.
If you do decide to make this add-on with the factory install, best to locate a wrecked Transit with this option on it..... and get all the wiring and pieces to install it. NO CUT WIRING!!! so if you can locate one and DIY on the removal of ALL the parts and pieces DO IT! Just remember if you do not have the Level 2 instrumentation, you won't have the display.

You might invest in the Ford Factory Wiring Diagrams manual for your specific year model. I got mine for less than $40 on eBay and you can get one NEW direct from Helm Incorporated for $82. My background in the Ford service area is in the electrical systems so I always like to have at least this manual on my personal vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I am only interested in replacing the plastic cupholder front and install the trailer brake controller and upfitter switches. I do not have the level 2 cluster but am not worried about that part. I would just rather the switches and brake controller be mounted in the factory OEM placement and not an aftermarket controller secured to the dash at random.

Any chance anyone can send me the part numbers to make this possible. Id imagine all i need are: brake controller, upfitter switches, front cup holder shroud, and maybe a wiring harness if it did not come with the switches and controller

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Controller should be standard with the tow package. Makes no sense not to be.

One of the best ways to tell how knowledgable your dealer is about Transit is if his tow stock has the controller.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You don't need the Trailer Brake Controller for the small trailers that do not have the electric brakes as that is what the main function of it is to activate the electric brakes. Ford dealers order the Trailer Tow package based mostly for the small trailers like a boat trailer when the weight is not significant and the trailer does not electric brakes.

Hopefully when someone on the forum makes the purchase and installation on the parts to make this conversion a reality we will see how much $$ it takes and how long it took to get it working. I have done this on some F-150s to F-350s and one Econoline and you must decide that the $$ is NO OBJECT to getting it like you want it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If the $ is no object them just go buy the correct van with the option built in. You might even trade for one with newer giubo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just ran into this problem as well, but I think we got it taken care of now! We were lucky and had a spare pigtail harness from another new van that connected the brake controller to the factory plug behind the center console. Here is the list of what is needed:
Van has to have the Trailer Tow package
Brake Controller - CK42-2C006-A
Wiring pigtail to connect brake controller to factory plug - Ford Engineering# HKV14A411KCA - Engineering# and NOT the Ford Part#. I do not know the part#.
(Connects Only Brake Controller and not the up-fit switch's. If you want to connect controller AND upfit switches....that pigtail Engineering part number is HK4T14A348)

Storage Compartment
Part Number: CK4Z-99115A00-BB

Utility Box Bezel
Part Number: CK4Z-61061B38-AA

Cup Holder
Part Number: CK4Z-6113562-BC

Mat
Part Number: CK4Z-61045G34-BA

So the brake controller works and the van electronics knows that it is there, because the back up assist will turn off. But you can not see any brake controller info on the information screen.​

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You might want to correct the part number for the Trailer Tow Brake Controller Switch...it is CK4Z 2C006-A

If you have the pictures of those 2 wires with the engineering numbers, either put them on the forum or send them to me via PM. I may be able to find out if Ford has a part number that can be ordered or if it has to come from the wiring manufacturer for Ford. It may be a company I have dealt with before when I had the Mustang Rally-pac harness remade like the original one in the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You might want to correct the part number for the Trailer Tow Brake Controller Switch...it is CK4Z 2C006-A

If you have the pictures of those 2 wires with the engineering numbers, either put them on the forum or send them to me via PM. I may be able to find out if Ford has a part number that can be ordered or if it has to come from the wiring manufacturer for Ford. It may be a company I have dealt with before when I had the Mustang Rally-pac harness remade like the original one in the car.
Were you ever able to find a part number that could be ordered from the engineering number above?

I need the pigtail harness that connects both the brake controller and upfitter switches.

"If you want to connect controller AND upfit switches....that pigtail Engineering part number is HK4T14A348"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having just gone through the research on this you are way better off installing an aftermarket brake controller. I installed a Tokonsha primus IQ. There is a YouTube video that walks you through it on a 2016 Transit 250.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts