Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased the Ford Protect Extended Service Plan? Do you like it? Is it worth the cost based on your experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
It is the best plan if you are doing a lot of traveling and needed to use the Extended Warranty at ANY Ford dealership. Too many problems with the private warranty companies and a lot of them are scams that stay open for a while, then declare bankruptcy and start another similar company with a new name and location.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
One of the reasons I made the move to Gary Crossley Ford was to be able to give the Transit customer the availability to get the Ford Extended Warranty that they were offering. So many of my customers were coming from out of state and the private warranty services are not always linked to a dealer you may need for service especially if you are traveling away from home. In some cases, you can work it in as part of your Transit financing if you get it at the vehicle purchase. Even after you purchase the vehicle, there is a way to add it to your current Transit while it is still under the regular factory warranty.

There is a select number of plans available through the Ford Extended Warranty so look at each one and select the one that would fit your needs based on your usage and time of ownership you plan on keeping the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the best plan if you are doing a lot of traveling and needed to use the Extended Warranty at ANY Ford dealership. Too many problems with the private warranty companies and a lot of them are scams that stay open for a while, then declare bankruptcy and start another similar company with a new name and location.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does it make a difference when the Ford Extended Warranty is purchased? Does it cost more if it's purchased when the original warranty is about to end? Or, is it better to buy it when picking up the new Transit?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Does it make a difference when the Ford Extended Warranty is purchased? Does it cost more if it's purchased when the original warranty is about to end? Or, is it better to buy it when picking up the new Transit?

Doesn't matter where you purchase it, all Ford dealers honor it. Below is a link to a dealer that does a high volume of warranty sales nationwide. They deal in volume so prices are pretty good. Sign in and they will send you a quote, but don't buy at that time. In a couple of days they will send you a password for a couple hundred dollars off their original quote.

I used this tactic when I bought mind and advised my selling dealer what I could get it for after they had a higher price ( it's just a money maker for dealers ) I advised they would be doing the work so they might as well get the money if they matched the price. They did.

I purchased mine at delivery but either way it doesn't matter cause the warranty time starts when it is delivered, not from when you buy it.

I liked the ease of knowing nothing was coming out of my pocket.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit XLT AWD LR Wagon, 3.5 EcoBoost V6,
168 Posts
One of the reasons I made the move to Gary Crossley Ford was to be able to give the Transit customer the availability to get the Ford Extended Warranty that they were offering.
Glad to hear this. Matt Ford pushed the private warranty on me and I took it not thinking much about it. However, I read up on the company and quickly received a full refund. I don't think the finance guy was very happy to have to issue the refund, but he also made some claims about the service I never could prove.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Will it cost more if it's purchased when the original warranty is about to end?
No. unless there is a cross the board rate increase. So it won't be cheaper but it could go up.
No matter what the dealer charges, they aren't losing money it's pure profit.
Some of the members have had dealers give them the coverage for free due to screwups.
But like I mentioned the extended warranty doesn't start when you purchase it, the start date is the date and milage when you purchased your vehicle new.

Semper Fi

Reactions: surfgeezer

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
When a Ford dealer isn't pushing the Ford extended warranty, but a private warranty, that is a red flag for sure.
If you are buying from a local dealer where you will be having the use of that dealer for future warranty service, it may be fine. The Ford factory warranty is better if you know you may be relocating to another part of the country or know you will be doing a lot of traveling during your ownership where having the Ford warranty would better suit your needs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No. unless there is a cross the board rate increase. So it won't be cheaper but it could go up.
No matter what the dealer charges, they aren't losing money it's pure profit.
Some of the members have had dealers give them the coverage for free due to screwups.
But like I mentioned the extended warranty doesn't start when you purchase it, the start date is the date and milage when you purchased your vehicle new.

Semper Fi
Considering a possible price increase, it may make sense to buy it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
91 Posts
I had ZERO intent of purchasing Ford Protect from my Dealer. Online is the way to go to save big, Right?!?!??

When you get a quote from Flood, Lombardy, etc.........(online clearing house/high volume Ford Protect vendor)
It will be less than what the dealer quotes you. BUT.
My dealer informed me that it also did not include all the same "optionals" that were being included on their quote. In my case this was "Key Service" and "Bulbs" (maybe one other thing....)
When you add in those features to your online quote it got really close to the same as the dealer was offering.
(Spec the packages to be Apples to Apples")
And then of course you just ask the dealer to price match the small difference.
And then of course you add it into your low financing rate.
The ease is worth whatever dollars may have been saved.
YMMV

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The plans you get an online quote for from a Ford dealer are the exact same plans you can buy from your dealer. You chose the plan coverage you want. There are 4 different coverage plans with 4 different deductibles from $0.00 to $250.00.
So if you chose the basic plan with a $0.00 deductible your dealer can upsell you to a plan that has better coverage and also costs more. As an example, I paid for a 6 year, $0.00 deductible premium top of the line coverage ( covered everything ) it cost me $1,005.00, dealer originally quoted $2,100.00 for same. ( not exactly a small difference and he was the smaller price of three I checked ) They want as much as they get from you and to trust their smiling faces that they are helping you. If he offers you coverage that isn't included with the Ford plans, than he isn't selling you a Ford product and beware, it might not be honored at other Ford dealers. if something happens while you may be traveling.
See posts above about some dealers doing that.

Semper Fi

EDIT - what I found was a dealer in a small market area that had carved out a money maker for themselves, without ever having to work on the vehicles they sold the plans for, just by not being as greedy as the rest. Your dealer could match the price, or not, but still would have to do the work without selling you the plan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts