Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Put phone in airplane mode and try it. This will simulate being on a trip out of network coverage.
Depends how it communicates.

WiFi or Bluetooth would work fine out of cell network coverage.

But if you're talking to Ford's server and it's talking to the vehicle then it's a garbage feature in my book.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Wow, finally found the relevant info in the owners manual. It was under Climate Control! Crazy.
View attachment 131549
View attachment 131550
This is from the online 2020 Transit owners manual.
T town,

On the bottom of the first page is says to make sure the "modem" is enabled.

What modem is that ? Is it something that is already included or is it something that has to be added, like a hot spot or ? (not very versed in all these things, still have a flip phone )

Semper Fi

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dude, I am not well versed either. I am not a tech aware person at all. That said, I think all 2020 Transits have a modem. Among other things it provides a WiFi network and provides the communication between your van and Fords services.
I like the idea of an app but I would want it to use Bluetooth when outside of cell coverage. This happens a lot in the wilds of the NW where I recreate. Also different providers have different coverages.
A great hack would be to turn on Remote Start with the software and use the fob instead of paying &500.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It looks like it's based on cellular network architecture. Ford is asking you to trust them with keeping the keys to your vehicle - and everyone else's - safe while providing an online gateway for your convenience (and likely monitoring usage data for their own purposes at the same time). This is the new normal. Until I find a good reason otherwise, I'll be disabling any system like this installed as standard equipment in any new vehicle I own.

Just look at how "secure" the proximity transponder FOBs are. There's very little effort required on the part of a thief to enter or steal your vehicle. With this new trend, they won't even need to be on the same continent to unlock your doors once they break through the inevitable holes in the security firewalls. This could be a great new offshore business. A thief standing at your vehicle uses their phone to read off the VIN to their counterparts in some shady part of the world. They do their backend thing and CLICK the car unlocks and starts for the dude standing in the dark parking lot outside your vehicle.

Gotta love new technology.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
LIVE IN FEAR OR RECOGNIZE THAT LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST DEFEATS THE CRIMINAL OR SHOOTER OR BOMBER OR …
Quite the contrary. I don't live in fear because I'm not ignorant to what goes on around me. Your tangential comment seriously puts this thread at risk of descending down the political rabbit hole.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quite the contrary. I don't live in fear because I'm not ignorant to what goes on around me. Your tangential comment seriously puts this thread at risk of descending down the political rabbit hole.
Your screen name seems familiar - were you ever on the Sprinter Forum? There was lots of "political" commentary over there. Calling me ignorant, wow. I don't ignore the threats but I'm not letting them dictate my life. I am concerned that "big brother" knows more about me than I would prefer but I hope they have much more important things to do - like monitoring the threats to law abiding people from plethora of "bad guys" on this planet.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts