Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the app on a 2019 Transit Connect [no remote start fob or mention of remote start on the window sticker - I CAN REMOTE START MY T CONNECT WITH MY PHONE - I don't understand why the big Transit would be different?????

I'd greatly appreciate an answer so I can finalize my order. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the app on a 2019 Transit Connect [no remote start fob or mention of remote start on the window sticker - I CAN REMOTE START MY T CONNECT WITH MY PHONE - I don't understand why the big Transit would be different?????

I'd greatly appreciate an answer so I can finalize my order. Thanks.
A local dealer just called me and assured me that the Ford Pass on his 2020 in stock would work with a smartphone to remote start the van. They were not able to demonstrate this when I test drove their 2020 AWD oxford white a week ago.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well heck, I don't want to wait any longer so I'll go ahead with it. I remember a photo my big brother had from his time in the 101st Airborne - a dude was at the plane door to jump and the caption said, "if this **** shoot don't work, I'm going to kick somebody's a**" Kinda describes how I feel about this question.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Maybe we, the peasants, aren't supposed to know this information... but what exactly does the remote start package add? It seems to me that the components to start the engine remotely are already there on most modern vehicles - most certainly those with push button start. Is this just something they're charging more money for because that's what people expect?

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
Maybe we, the peasants, aren't supposed to know this information... but what exactly does the remote start package add? ...
It adds the Ford remote start kit (click for link), installed after the van is manufactured. I bought it for less than $200 from my parts guy and installed it in a morning with no prior experience. The instructions are good.

No one is totally sure about the 2020 model yet since they are only just now showing up in the wild.

Installation involves digging into the dash a bit.

PS: if you show my wife this photo, I will deny that it is of her one week old van and I have no idea how such a thing could have happened, lol.
?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It adds the Ford remote start kit (click for link), installed after the van is manufactured. I bought it for less than $200 from my parts guy and installed it in a morning with no prior experience. The instructions are good.

PS: if you show my wife this photo, I will deny that it is of her one week old van and I have no idea how such a thing could have happened, lol.
Thanks for enlightening me. I promise I won't tell your wife, and I'm glad it all worked out for you so she didn't need to find out.

I have an intense dislike for having another FOB in my pocket along with the MASSIVE Transit key. We can send rovers to Mars but can't integrate all functions into one compact key that actually fits comfortably in one's pocket? I suppose they're moving away from keys anyway and in the future if your smart phone is lost of stolen then you won't be able to get into your car to go to the police station and report the theft.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How about a fingerprint reader on the door? I know, I know... there are lots of problems with this approach. Retinal scan, perhaps? How about a keyboard to enter a password that has at least 14 characters, contains both upper and lower case characters, a number, and three symbols ... [intake of breath here] ... and has to be changed every three months.

No, I do not have anything better to do today. ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
From what I can discern from reading the owners manual, watching videos and reading this forum every 2020 Transit has auto start on the Ford app. There is a process for registering the van and all that.
In addition you can pay $495 to buy auto start which enables the fob. No extra fob required. You push lock, unlock, lock and it should start.
What I want to know is if you can use the app without cell coverage. There are many places this happens and if it can work without cell coverage I can not worry about spending the extra money. We need someone out there to try it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just tried the app on my 2020 that DOES NOT have remote start from the factory and it does in fact work. You can even schedule a start. In my mind that means there is no reason to order the remote start option from the factory

Put phone in airplane mode and try it. This will simulate being on a trip out of network coverage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts