Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every week I read of a member of the law enforcement community, in some tiny peanut of a SUV or sedan, having an extremely disadvantageous experience.

It is quite obvious a van would be much safer in such events and a van would give the police a better view of events and also be more visible to those who should be slowing down.

Does not seem like it would be technologically difficult.

Ford should do it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, ok...

Does it have a pursuit package for high speed chases?

Perhaps the 450 HP raptor engine with the necessary stability enhancements for such a thing?

That is not necessary of course.

Anyway, for the sake of their well being, I hope their purchasing departments decide they make good patrol vehicles. I doubt, though, that is on their radar...

You can put a lot of light bars and cameras on a van.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I've seen several prisoner transport Transits on the Best Coast.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

Very nice, but I was thinking Transit would make a preferred PATROL vehicle.

To minimise the danger with this sort of thing:
Damaskinos_of_Athens,

I'm thinking that for 99% of U.S. agencies, a Transit would never pass the testing for a road Police vehicle. The prisoner transport van or a mobile CSI vehicle would be as close as it could get.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Why would any agency want a high center of gravity, low visibility, wide turning radius van as a patrol vehicle? Among other faults that don't make it as good as ANY SUV or midsize car for patrol purposes. Transit would probably fare just as bad if not worse than the Explorer in the pic.

Maybe you're thinking because of ecoboost and going fast in a straight line? That's a one-trick pony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts