Ford Transit USA Forum banner
301 - 320 of 367 Posts

· Registered
2022 ordered 2/7/22 - balanced out. 2023 ordered 7/11/22. MR, AWD, EB, Avalanche Grey, Digital RVM
124 Posts
I had 61 2022 Transit orders that did not get scheduled so that is lost time and money with both the customer and myself. We only get paid for delivered vehicles so now may have to work twice as hard just to possibly get one Transit built.

Ford's problem was a shorter production schedule and not the right parts in place based on the Transit orders placed by the customer/dealer. Then no proper planning for the unscheduled 2022 orders going to a 2023 model and letting the dealers know all of the procedures to handle it with the customer.
How many total orders did you make Ed? And how many got built?

· Registered
55 Posts
Also, had my 115 pound wife try out the manual door. She seemed to be fine with it. Wondering if that might just be one more thing that can break and can easily be done without, not to mention the delay in van build if included.
Our plan b van is a 2020 with manual door. We wanted the power door at first but it really isn’t that big of a deal. I could see it being more important if it was a passenger van and you were letting kids in and out. But we haven’t missed not having it so far.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
If someone decided to go with a lower version of the electronics instead of the sync 4 with the 12 inch screen, what all would you loose besides the 12 inch screen? Just rode in a friends 2021 with the 8 inch screen. It seems plenty big. I did not notice anything else in particular missing. It had a backup camera and navigation. Just wondering if I really do need all of those fancy electronics.
When the SYNC 3 and 8" screen was a factory option (and the top option) (2021 was the last year) I believe you could get a number of the fancy things along with it (BLIS, etc.).

Starting in 2022, when the SYNC 4 and 12" screen became available, you then could no longer get a large swath of the fancy things with the SYNC 3 with 4" screen but instead have to order the SYNC 4 and 12" screen to even be allowed to get them. (BLIS, 360 cams, cross traffic stuff, Intelligent adaptive cruise, navigation, etc.) (also automatic climate control, if that matters).

So although you can upgrade a 4" screen to an 8" screen on your own (or at least others have been able to, although it's totally DIY and no guarantees), you cannot any longer get those fancy things when you order the SYNC 3 with 4" screen -- starting in 2022.

Do you need them? Only you can answer. Obviously people have been driving without them for years (but then half the people I see on the road are not actually driving these days... o_O) so it's possible to do without them. But do you want to? There's no right or wrong answer of course - just what you want.

So in summary, I don't know everything that was on your friend's 2021 with the 8" screen; but there may have been things that you could get with that package in 2021 (because that was the top package); but that you can no longer get with SYNC 3 starting in 2022.

If you want to check these details out (do double-check me), you could either download the 2023 Ford Transit Order Guide and read through it; or, I think if you just go to Ford's website and "Build and Price" a 2022 (go to "all vehicles" if you cannot find the cargo van on the initial choice list) then you can find out by simply choosing audio package 58V (if in the Order Guide) or "SYNC 3 with 4" screen" if on the Build and Price Ford site. Then go ahead and try to add any fancy stuff you would want. If you are not allowed to add it (say, BLIS), then you will get a pop-up saying you have to upgrade to SYNC 4 with 12" screen.

· Registered
7,372 Posts
If someone decided to go with a lower version of the electronics instead of the sync 4 with the 12 inch screen, what all would you loose besides the 12 inch screen? Just rode in a friends 2021 with the 8 inch screen. It seems plenty big. I did not notice anything else in particular missing. It had a backup camera and navigation. Just wondering if I really do need all of those fancy electronics.
You lose out on the Blind Spot mirrors as well as all of the sensing systems around the van including the 360* view that can be a very important addition to your van safety and viewing around the van. You only get the base 4" audio package or the SYNC3 4" screen that can be adapted later on using the same SYNC3 8" screen like you saw on the 2021 Transit.

· Registered
2020 Transit 150 // Trying to get a new one but balanced out!
13 Posts
Also, had my 115 pound wife try out the manual door. She seemed to be fine with it. Wondering if that might just be one more thing that can break and can easily be done without, not to mention the delay in van build if included.
Regarding the door, it isn't that hard to open/close the standard door. My 7 year old daughter can do it on flat ground // my 4 year old can't open/close it very well on his own. A couple benefits that have me holding out for the PSD on a 2023...

• My wife wants it
  • All of my children, even my 2 year old, will be able to use it
  • It won't accidently slam closed on an incline (you do have to be careful with this on the standard door)
  • My current door rattles some on gravel and I think the electronic door won't do this as much
  • I have to stop and close the door fully a lot with my children because they didn't close it all the way, which shouldn't be an issue with the PSD
If everyone using the van on a regular basis is 10+ years old then I think the need for a PSD is reduced a lot.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Regarding the door, it isn't that hard to open/close the standard door. My 7 year old daughter can do it on flat ground // my 4 year old can't open/close it very well on his own. ...
  • It won't accidently slam closed on an incline (you do have to be careful with this on the standard door)

• I have to stop and close the door fully a lot with my children because they didn't close it all the way, which shouldn't be an issue with the PSD
If everyone using the van on a regular basis is 10+ years old then I think the need for a PSD is reduced a lot.
clipped your message for my specific issues.

I believe the issue is the rear latch doesn't fully engage due to air pressure when all the other doors are closed/windows are up. There really isn't any way to get around it except slam it harder, and unless you know to look at the panel alignments from the outside, no way to tell if it is fully latched or just partially. Our Honda minivan has a motor in that rear latch, so once it senses the slider is mostly closed, it pulls it in. The part number for the latch on the PSD version is different from the manual ... maybe @gregoryx can comment on if the power door pulls it in (I'm guessing it does, because it is momentum that closes it on the manual door, and the power door slides slowly).

When partially latched I don't know if the door will slide open when driving (mine hasn't), but as far as I remember there is no indicator on the dash that the slider is open/ajar, though in the Passenger van the interior lights will come on/go off as you accelerate/decelerate and the door sensor triggers on and off.

And do not underestimate the door on an incline. Especially when pointed down hill, I wouldn't let a small child operate the door/go near it, in that case. In San Francisco I've struggled to get it pushed up and into the locked position (Passenger van with glass, so perhaps heavier than a sheet metal cargo van), and then when released it will instantly fall ... and I expect crush anything in the way. All it takes is a slight pull on the exterior handle to let it drop, and at least in my experience if opening it one handed, no time/no place to grab it to stop it from closing/slowing it down.

I'm back in line for a 2023 purely for the PSD after being Balanced Out after 9mo of waiting. I was completely satisfied with my 2020 Passenger Van except for the door (ordered it thinking a manual door would be no big deal, and regretted it within a few months), so I'll keep waiting.

· Registered
6,224 Posts
I'm back in line for a 2023 purely for the PSD after being Balanced Out after 9mo of waiting. I was completely satisfied with my 2020 Passenger Van except for the door (ordered it thinking a manual door would be no big deal, and regretted it within a few months), so I'll keep waiting.
Why not look into a retrofit? There are 2 commercially available options that have been posted.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Why not look into a retrofit? There are 2 commercially available options that have been posted.
I put together a list of the Ford part numbers I thought I'd need to do it myself (~$1500). I might even be satisfied if just the PSD rear latch was swapped in if it pulled the door tight.

At least before the price hike, the cost of lateraling from a 2020 to a 2022 was going to be zero, with the benefit of the stainless steel headers, losing the parking brake, resetting the warranty, and some nice to have electronic upgrades like push button start. If prices stay inflated on the resale side in 2023, I think it'd be a wash between professionally retrofitting the full door and replacing the van (and then miss out on the misc upgrades) now.

· Registered
2021 Power Sliding Door that also has a van attached to it
608 Posts
I think both of those options restrict how far the door opens by a significant amount, by something like 14".

They're also REALLY expensive to have installed, I recall some people throwing around numbers like $4,000-$6,000.

· Registered
2020 Transit 150 // Trying to get a new one but balanced out!
13 Posts
I think both of those options restrict how far the door opens by a significant amount, by something like 14".

They're also REALLY expensive to have installed, I recall some people throwing around numbers like $4,000-$6,000.
I installed one of them on my 2020 Transit. It was much more involved to install than I originally thought and I spent 12 hours doing it with my brother-in-law who is skilled in working on vehicles. I'm sure the labor to install would be more than the materials.

That said, I uninstalled it the following week because it reduced the door opening so much that I could no longer access the third row through the door. That was a real problem for me b/c my second row doesn't have a path to the back. It reduced the opening by about a foot more than advertised. I also had to source a new inside panel that I had cut up to install the door opener.

After that I decided I would get the factory PSD on my next Transit.

· Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,425 Posts
I believe the issue is the rear latch doesn't fully engage due to air pressure when all the other doors are closed/windows are up. There really isn't any way to get around it except slam it harder, and unless you know to look at the panel alignments from the outside, no way to tell if it is fully latched or just partially. Our Honda minivan has a motor in that rear latch, so once it senses the slider is mostly closed, it pulls it in. The part number for the latch on the PSD version is different from the manual ... maybe @gregoryx can comment on if the power door pulls it in (I'm guessing it does, because it is momentum that closes it on the manual door, and the power door slides slowly).

When partially latched I don't know if the door will slide open when driving (mine hasn't), but as far as I remember there is no indicator on the dash that the slider is open/ajar, though in the Passenger van the interior lights will come on/go off as you accelerate/decelerate and the door sensor triggers on and off.

And do not underestimate the door on an incline. Especially when pointed down hill, I wouldn't let a small child operate the door/go near it, in that case. In San Francisco I've struggled to get it pushed up and into the locked position (Passenger van with glass, so perhaps heavier than a sheet metal cargo van), and then when released it will instantly fall ... and I expect crush anything in the way. All it takes is a slight pull on the exterior handle to let it drop, and at least in my experience if opening it one handed, no time/no place to grab it to stop it from closing/slowing it down.

You are correct: the rear latch of the door is the actual key latch; and the PSD pulls that in snugly as the last thing it does.

Interestingly, the manual door on our Sprinter was a challenge much of the time (and they're larger and heavier than the Transit). We finally added a pull-lever to the BACK of the door to pull it in and that stopped the need to slam it. From the outside, we'd slide it closed most of the way then push on the back to latch. Total forehead slapper how much easier that was than slamming.

We added a mid-point stop thing on the Sprinter. A bit awkward to use it but useful. So nice to just tap the handle on the Transit and it stops at any point you prefer.

· Registered
55 Posts
Ford just told me that they balanced out my January 2022 order was balanced out and won't be produced... What does it mean?

Will I get a 2023 for the same price and specs
Your order has been cancelled. No 2022 and you have to resubmit a 2023 order if you want a 2023. The price has went up by $5000 to $6000 for most people.

This has been discussed in detail in this post and many others so different people have had different experiences with the 2023 after ordering a 2022 and getting balanced out. Some dealers have told their customers that their order was rolled over but that just means the dealer resubmitted it. You will have to go back to your dealer now for the what’s next.

· Registered
10 Posts
Welp looks like my dealer dropped the ball on my order. I placed an order through Mossy Ford in San Diego on September 2021. I kept getting the runaround all year. After reading this thread, it was apparent that all 2022 models were gone, and that if anything, my order should have been placed for a 2023 model. The dealership did not place that order, and now I'm back at square one. I did get my $500 deposit finally after calling them, since they stopped responding to my texts and email.

· Registered
290 Posts
301 - 320 of 367 Posts