Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When Ford sent the email to my customers that 'We are working hard to build your Transit' was telling them they were committing to building out the vehicle even through they stated the parts availability was at issue. Ford could have extended the 2002 production beyond the current date and just went with the same thing they have done since 2019 by building out the current model through December. ...
And that's why I'm staying optimistic that Ford will offer something to us. They already are doing this for a bunch of other COVP vehicles, and I've got to believe they understand the reputational issues of sending out those COVP messages saying "we understand you are excited ... we're working hard" and then not following through in some meaningful way.

For the Maverick's the email said (paraphrased) "We're trying hard to build your 2022 ... if it doesn't then you'll be protected." For Transits, perhaps they thought it would be easier to let the die be cast and then inform everyone after.

I do think it is BS that I'm reading that new people are just walking up to a dealer and being scheduled a week later though.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'll call Kayla for a refund.

Happy trails
I'm betting around Jan 1 there will be some first posts from new users asking if anyone has got updates on their 2022 orders, because they've still heard nothing from their dealer. And it'll be Crossley Ford.

I'm going to see how long it takes for my refund to get processed unprompted.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Wait...I'm confused here...

I thought the going consensus on this forum was that Crossley Ford was one of the "better" dealers that kept their customers up to date with the most recent information? Or am I reading your post wrong?
We'll see.

You shouldn't need to read this forum to get good service or be kept up to date. The last email I received without prompting from Crossley was from Pam after my 2022 order was submitted to COVP. Crickets since.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As someone said in a previous post about a class action lawsuit, the only one who benefits is the law firm. The lead plaintiff might be made whole, but all of us others will get a fraction of what we deserve, and it wouldn't be able to be applied until a 2025 order instead of getting a van NOW (I don't want a cash settlement, I want a van). The best hope would be for Ford to try to make it go away immediately, but the lawyers wouldn't be happy about that.

If Ford isn't already making plans for carry overs, I think the best bet is social media (hit Jim Farley the CEO and Mike Levine, North America Product Communications Director, who are 2 of the 9 users that @ford follows on Twitter) as well as the Ford auto blogs, and then small claims court. $6k would easily be worth flying out to Michigan for a day from anywhere in the US.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Same story on my 2022 order. Regional rep called dealer a week or two ago and said to resubmit the same order ASAP for 2023. Dealer did just that and notified. I was able to tweak some minor items. Rcvd same order number.

Full disclosure - I have also submitted a 2023 order through CrossleyFord. Communication from the original dealer was non-existent and never even rcvd confirmation email from Ford. I have been impressed with the Crossley team so far.
If your Regional rep called your original dealer a week or two ago and said to resubmit the same order ASAP for 2023, that is WAY MORE than what Crossley has done for us. This COMPLETELY aligns with what the Youtube dealer in Kansas said about 2022's being carried over to 2023 with prioritization. And if that much is true, the private offer to offset the price increase that he said was previously communicated is likely also true.

What's the deal @CrewVanMan @[email protected] @CrewVanManInfo ??? Why are other regional reps contacting their dealers, but Crossley appears to be in the dark?! Crossley is doing high volume, and based on your prior contacts with Ford, I would have expected Crossley to be the first with the news.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
More bringing a knife to gun fight thinking...
??? It's more like asymmetric warfare. There is a nominal fee to file a small claims lawsuit, and as an individual, the cost is in your time to do it. Ford will have to send their in-house/outside lawyer which will cost them real money, and small claims court won't allow it to get dragged out.

All you need to do is convince the judge that you've been wronged. Show them the COVP emails that Ford accepted your order, then later recognized that you were waiting (this is clipped from Ford's email):
"We know there’s a lot of anticipation when it comes to getting into a new vehicle, so we’ll make sure to keep you updated. Once your vehicle is ready to move into the production schedule, you’ll be hearing from us again."
...and then received NO communications.

Then show the Maverick emails that Ford owned up that they couldn't build all the vehicles and offered them compensation for re-ordering in 2023, and you are looking for the same. Point out that Ford made no effort to change your order to remove a "constrained" option until it was too late.

It's what I'll do if Ford isn't proactive. I'll buy the van in the meantime (or when I can), and try to recover the difference later.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Boom! Also ease of service, more so on the Toyotas, so I have now learned by helping my kid with repairs on his '98 Camry. The true testament is how many of those XV20's are still on the road and how much $$ they command used (even prior to todays crazy market). One solid appliance, beige please.
mmmm, is the ease of serviceability because it's a Honda or Toyota, or because they're all transverse engines, and mostly inline-fours? I miss the ease of changing spark plugs or adjusting the valves on my '93 Civic Si, at least compared to my horizontally opposed 4-cylinder Subaru. OTOH, the plugs were spec'd for 3x the miles on the newer Subaru, so maybe I don't miss the old car that much. :p

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Doesn’t look good.

I would talk with some other dealers.
I agree. I think it is perfectly fine that the dealer makes deposits non-refundable if the customer backs out (keep the speculators and tire kickers away), but if either the dealer or Ford can't deliver exactly what the customer ordered, then the customer shouldn't even have to ask for the deposit to be returned.

Stipulating the build can't be changed unless commodity constrained is novel, so make sure you order what you want.

Unless Ford got rid of the Price Protection during the model year, that "MSRP pricing is subject to change" is the biggest reason I'd find another dealer. I know people have suggested getting the pricing documented at the time of the order so that you don't need to educate the dealer on Price Protection at time of delivery, so giving up that ability when you order would be foolish.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Well, If it's online then its got to be true....;)

Seriously, if there are these "good" dealers out there I'm sure they would love to have their names given out so people here could order their vans from them.
If this "good" dealer is doing this price protection completely outside of Ford (which sounds like it is the case) then I, as a buyer, wouldn't want to rock my boat/put my purchase at risk by having the dealer get flooded with others expecting similar treatment.

I suspect any dealer who is providing this price protection out of their own pocket will change their mind when Ford actually bills them the $6K'ish more cost of the 2023 -- I wouldn't have expected a dealer has that much profit in a sale, and I can't believe any dealer will intentionally take a couple $K loss.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Would be great if you could message her on LinkedIn but looks like a Premium only feature...
And doesn't look like she regularly checks Twitter, the only other contact method listed...
Contacting/harassing through other than Ford's official channels (i.e. @ford.com email address) is pretty tacky and likely counter-productive.

If CVM wants us to contact them, it should be through their Ford presence. Even then, getting their voicemail full of angry Internet users calls probably won't look good for anyone.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I do know of 3 different 2022 Transit customers who are getting price protection but I'm not one of them. I explained it very carefully and clearly in a lengthy post in this thread.
"Price Protection" has a very specific meaning, at least for Ford/around here, and means the dealer will be reimbursed by Ford for the price difference between when the vehicle was delivered and when it was ordered, if it increased.

"Private Offers" are directly between Ford and the customer and are rebates for a future purchase -- they don't involve the dealer. After buying a Transit I started getting Private Offers on other Ford vehicles, and for my 2022 order I had $750 that was going towards the Transit purchase. A Ford dealer won't know who has received the Private Offers, but they can verify the code you are given can be applied to a particular vehicle.

I think you/others have received good will from the dealers in their promise to get you the 2023 for the same price as your 2022. I think when they realize the price difference / Ford isn't going to cover them, that good will will disappear. They're a car dealership for chrissakes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A few days ago when I called Ford Marketing they mentioned I had a private offer from Ford but would not tell me any details. I asked my dealer and they said they don't know and Ford makes the information known when a VIN is established. I have a R2X originally ordered in June of 2021. Still at priority 19 with my 2023 order.
When I ordered my 2022 Transit from Crossley, Pam could not confirm my Private Offer was valid for the purchase until I had a VIN. The offer was for many $K off an F150, and $750 for almost anything else. She made a copy of the docs to work it out when I did get the VIN and the offer could be applied.

Since then I've heard from a salesperson, and read on the net, that the dealer can at least validate a Private Offer is valid by putting a comparable VIN into the system (Smart VINCENT?).

I think CVM said Ford had already posted some 2023's to Crossley's website, so you could try one of those VIN's. And even better, it looks like there is a "Check Your Private Offer" button on Crossley's website for all the vehicles, so you can check it yourself [if you know what your offer code is ... mine had come via postal mail as glossy advertisements].

[Edit: Just tried the link on the Crossley website, and sadly it might just be a lead generator].

[Edit 2: Just called Ford Marketing and they said I had no Private Offers available. I'll assume that is correct, but don't know if they should be able to see them in the first place.]

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No more x-plan on transits... Is this the policy for 2023 or does carry into 2024MY as well?
It is a dealership by dealership decision. There are still plenty of dealers that will accept it (just make sure they'll be able to get the van). When the market cools enough for Transit's/cars in general to fill lots, I'd expect dealers that stop taking it now will resume accepting it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
ABSOLUTELY!! Executive level management needs to be held accountable!! :mad:
So you have been around for at least two months. Are you going to order a Transit, or just hang around and bellyache about something you don't have skin in the game on?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The dealership told me that it would most likely be a 2023 model. I put down a $500 deposit with my order and I'm wondering if it's normal for me to not have received any formal recognition from Ford about my order for almost a year now?
If you know the "Sales Code" and "Order Code" from your order, you can call Ford's 800-392-FORD number and ask them to check the status of it. If you have neither the Sales Code or Order Code, then you are at the whim of the dealer for what you'll know ... but if they tell you "we haven't heard anything", or the equivalent, assume the worst..., and then get your deposit back and find a dealer who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Regarding the door, it isn't that hard to open/close the standard door. My 7 year old daughter can do it on flat ground // my 4 year old can't open/close it very well on his own. ...
  • It won't accidently slam closed on an incline (you do have to be careful with this on the standard door)

• I have to stop and close the door fully a lot with my children because they didn't close it all the way, which shouldn't be an issue with the PSD
If everyone using the van on a regular basis is 10+ years old then I think the need for a PSD is reduced a lot.
clipped your message for my specific issues.

I believe the issue is the rear latch doesn't fully engage due to air pressure when all the other doors are closed/windows are up. There really isn't any way to get around it except slam it harder, and unless you know to look at the panel alignments from the outside, no way to tell if it is fully latched or just partially. Our Honda minivan has a motor in that rear latch, so once it senses the slider is mostly closed, it pulls it in. The part number for the latch on the PSD version is different from the manual ... maybe @gregoryx can comment on if the power door pulls it in (I'm guessing it does, because it is momentum that closes it on the manual door, and the power door slides slowly).

When partially latched I don't know if the door will slide open when driving (mine hasn't), but as far as I remember there is no indicator on the dash that the slider is open/ajar, though in the Passenger van the interior lights will come on/go off as you accelerate/decelerate and the door sensor triggers on and off.

And do not underestimate the door on an incline. Especially when pointed down hill, I wouldn't let a small child operate the door/go near it, in that case. In San Francisco I've struggled to get it pushed up and into the locked position (Passenger van with glass, so perhaps heavier than a sheet metal cargo van), and then when released it will instantly fall ... and I expect crush anything in the way. All it takes is a slight pull on the exterior handle to let it drop, and at least in my experience if opening it one handed, no time/no place to grab it to stop it from closing/slowing it down.

I'm back in line for a 2023 purely for the PSD after being Balanced Out after 9mo of waiting. I was completely satisfied with my 2020 Passenger Van except for the door (ordered it thinking a manual door would be no big deal, and regretted it within a few months), so I'll keep waiting.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Why not look into a retrofit? There are 2 commercially available options that have been posted.
I put together a list of the Ford part numbers I thought I'd need to do it myself (~$1500). I might even be satisfied if just the PSD rear latch was swapped in if it pulled the door tight.

At least before the price hike, the cost of lateraling from a 2020 to a 2022 was going to be zero, with the benefit of the stainless steel headers, losing the parking brake, resetting the warranty, and some nice to have electronic upgrades like push button start. If prices stay inflated on the resale side in 2023, I think it'd be a wash between professionally retrofitting the full door and replacing the van (and then miss out on the misc upgrades) now.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Update.

I'll keep you posted if I hear more.
And with that, this thread should probably be un-stickied and a pointer to the next chapter of the story be promoted to the top.

Quoted from that thread:

"Due to unprecedented circumstances with supply chain constraints we did not have enough allocation/commodities to build all of the 22MY Transits unscheduled COVP verified retail orders that were in the dealer order bank. We recognize the importance of taking care of these customers and are announcing the 2023 Model Year Transit Transition Customer Satisfaction Private Offer Program."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts