Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ford finally does 'Balance Out' 2022 Transit orders

30985 366
Well....it has finally happened. Overnight Ford has moved all of our 'Unscheduled - Clean' orders to 'Unscheduled - Balanced Out' status. That will end any 2022 unscheduled Transits to be built. Now we just need to know what is going to happen with price protection (if any at all) and if there is any build priority for 2022 orders that were not scheduled.

I have been telling our customers to request a build out of their 2023 order and make any changes needed. We may hold off submitting those 2023 orders until Ford gives us direction on the other mentioned questions above. Once we know more details on the 2022 to 2023 transition, I will continue to place a forum thread for those changes.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,923 Posts
I wonder if a social media approach might work better? Then regular people wouldn't be so much "using a knife in a gun fight" (with the latter being lawyers and lawsuits which I'm sure Ford is more than ready for). Unfortunately for me, I don't do that type of social media, as it seems like a good way to (fairly) get the ear of companies.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
I'm going to add that I spoke to a friend who ordered a '22 Transit cargo and was balanced out, his dealer offered him price protection on the '23 and told him that they didn't need Ford's approval and were willing to offer that regardless of any official private offer. He's got his '23 build dates already and was price protected. I called the dealer and spoke to them myself this morning and all of this was confirmed.
Which dealer is this? We've named plenty of dealers who pulled shenanigans -- I'd like to know who is one of the "good ones" (and they deserve the mention)(y)

· Registered
1,923 Posts
I know a lot of people prefer that, but I personally like the shorter wheelbase. More maneuverable and easier to park IMO. The back only swings out about 8" when turning hard from a standstill. I have zero intention on pushing the van off-road, other than some basic dirt roads, so haven't had any issue with the departure angle at stock height.
For me I know I could use airbags or something to counteract that when off-pavement. It's more about towing. Having an extended "tail" when towing is not that great; conversely, having a longer wheelbase is. Also, I just don't like the proportions visually. Plus I have a long overhang on my cutaway now and I'm a little tired of it - so there's that.

So, if I manage get a Transit it will just be a plain old regular length 148". But if Ford had something like the 170" non-extended Sprinter, I'd strongly consider it. Sprinter is not appealing to me in other ways though (not a diesel fan, the gas engine has lower tow rating, and few service places when I'm traveling). I still like their body length/wheelbase though!

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Could this be why my 2022 was never scheduled?

Looking at the 2022 Order guide, it says that the Trailer Brake Controller requires "Requires Cruise Control (60C), Adaptive Cruise Control (60D),"

I had an XLT so 60C is standard, I had 58F on my preview order, and I also had 53B on my preview order. However, I didn't have 60D on my preview order. Am I reading this right? Does the TBC require 60D also?
No, that's impossible. You can't have both 60C ("basic" cruise control), and 60D (Adaptive Cruise control). What they mean (but could have said better) is that you need one or the other (or a more advanced one, see below).

To elaborate:

Here is a screen shot from the 2022 Order Guide (USA).
Rectangle Organism Font Circle Smile

They really could have stood to put an "or" in there, but essentially what they are saying is that in order to add TBC you need to have the following:

1) You need to have one from the first group mentioned:

--60C (Basic cruise control)
--60D (Adaptive cruise control)
--Audio Package 58E (includes "intelligent speed assist" which is obviously some type of CC)
--Audio Package 58F (includes Adaptive Intelligent Cruise Control)

2) You need to have one from the second group mentioned:

--53B, HD Trailer tow
--53D Tow/Haul with trailer wiring provisions

You say you had 60C automatically with your van choice (which you upgraded to 58F) and 53B so you were covered for the TBD with one from each group.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
My dealer is requiring me to sign a non-refundable deposit form in order to convert my 2022 order to a 2023 order. The language includes:....
....The Dealer claims that this a Ford Motor Company requirement but it is a Dealership form.
What dealership are you working with? I'm sure that since they are on the up-and-up, they won't mind you mentioning their name (heck, free advertising for them).

PS: I wouldn't agree to these terms as they seem to include some fibs about Ford's policies and also it looks like you wouldn't get your deposit back if Ford doesn't build you a van. Also, they seem like a pain to work with (any dealer that I would work with would be happy to change my order if it were in the "possible to change time window" as they would want me to be happy with my purchase). Heck, I have ordered a car and then been a little embarrassed to change the color and the salesperson actually said, to make me feel better: "Hey, no problem; I have other customers who have changed and then changed back again, more than once!" (Within the proper time window.)

· Registered
1,923 Posts
@artisan
Thanks for posting additional info, and showing us the level of customer service put forth by World Ford Pensacola (Florida). Very interesting.

Since you haven't yet signed this (I presume this is for a 2023 and the yellow highlighted areas is where you are supposed to sign), and I can't imagine you will..... what did you sign for the 2022 you ordered that will not be built by Ford? What about that 2022 deposit? If you have any trouble getting it refunded to you, I would contact Ford and open a case (or maybe there is something better that someone else can suggest). I know dealers are basically contractors, but it's hard to imagine Ford wanting this level of .... "customer service." Once you get your 2022 deposit back.... I'd RUN.

I would certainly look for another dealer if you are going to order a 2023. Even if Ford puts forth some sort of "priority" for a 2022-2023 sequence, I can't imagine they wouldn't let you change dealers given the givens. Dang. Luckily Ford dealers are a dime a dozen, so you should have plenty to choose from. There are certainly some who will treat you decently.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
If someone decided to go with a lower version of the electronics instead of the sync 4 with the 12 inch screen, what all would you loose besides the 12 inch screen? Just rode in a friends 2021 with the 8 inch screen. It seems plenty big. I did not notice anything else in particular missing. It had a backup camera and navigation. Just wondering if I really do need all of those fancy electronics.
When the SYNC 3 and 8" screen was a factory option (and the top option) (2021 was the last year) I believe you could get a number of the fancy things along with it (BLIS, etc.).

Starting in 2022, when the SYNC 4 and 12" screen became available, you then could no longer get a large swath of the fancy things with the SYNC 3 with 4" screen but instead have to order the SYNC 4 and 12" screen to even be allowed to get them. (BLIS, 360 cams, cross traffic stuff, Intelligent adaptive cruise, navigation, etc.) (also automatic climate control, if that matters).

So although you can upgrade a 4" screen to an 8" screen on your own (or at least others have been able to, although it's totally DIY and no guarantees), you cannot any longer get those fancy things when you order the SYNC 3 with 4" screen -- starting in 2022.

Do you need them? Only you can answer. Obviously people have been driving without them for years (but then half the people I see on the road are not actually driving these days... o_O) so it's possible to do without them. But do you want to? There's no right or wrong answer of course - just what you want.

So in summary, I don't know everything that was on your friend's 2021 with the 8" screen; but there may have been things that you could get with that package in 2021 (because that was the top package); but that you can no longer get with SYNC 3 starting in 2022.

If you want to check these details out (do double-check me), you could either download the 2023 Ford Transit Order Guide and read through it; or, I think if you just go to Ford's website and "Build and Price" a 2022 (go to "all vehicles" if you cannot find the cargo van on the initial choice list) then you can find out by simply choosing audio package 58V (if in the Order Guide) or "SYNC 3 with 4" screen" if on the Build and Price Ford site. Then go ahead and try to add any fancy stuff you would want. If you are not allowed to add it (say, BLIS), then you will get a pop-up saying you have to upgrade to SYNC 4 with 12" screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts