Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Transit 150 // Trying to get a new one but balanced out!
13 Posts
I sent a tweet to Jim Farley about a month ago suggesting different ways to re-establish good will with the retail Transit orders. So now we must be BFF's as he shows up in my Twitter feed all the time now.
With the price of the metal can with four or six wheels, you would think the margins would be very good for Ford but apparently not. Recent press releases indicate the need to focus on high margin vehicles that did not include the Transit.
I always felt the Transit was a good value for the price. Until the recent hikes it seemed very high utility per dollar spent. The 2023 increases just seem to get it more aligned with the pricing of other vehicles. It doesn't surprise me that it is a lower margin vehicle for Ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, had my 115 pound wife try out the manual door. She seemed to be fine with it. Wondering if that might just be one more thing that can break and can easily be done without, not to mention the delay in van build if included.
Regarding the door, it isn't that hard to open/close the standard door. My 7 year old daughter can do it on flat ground // my 4 year old can't open/close it very well on his own. A couple benefits that have me holding out for the PSD on a 2023...

• My wife wants it
  • All of my children, even my 2 year old, will be able to use it
  • It won't accidently slam closed on an incline (you do have to be careful with this on the standard door)
  • My current door rattles some on gravel and I think the electronic door won't do this as much
  • I have to stop and close the door fully a lot with my children because they didn't close it all the way, which shouldn't be an issue with the PSD
If everyone using the van on a regular basis is 10+ years old then I think the need for a PSD is reduced a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think both of those options restrict how far the door opens by a significant amount, by something like 14".

They're also REALLY expensive to have installed, I recall some people throwing around numbers like $4,000-$6,000.
I installed one of them on my 2020 Transit. It was much more involved to install than I originally thought and I spent 12 hours doing it with my brother-in-law who is skilled in working on vehicles. I'm sure the labor to install would be more than the materials.

That said, I uninstalled it the following week because it reduced the door opening so much that I could no longer access the third row through the door. That was a real problem for me b/c my second row doesn't have a path to the back. It reduced the opening by about a foot more than advertised. I also had to source a new inside panel that I had cut up to install the door opener.

After that I decided I would get the factory PSD on my next Transit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts