Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Others here have said Ford Etis registration is free, and casually mention how they're getting all kinds of build information about their vans on order. What? How? That does not seem to be the situation when I go to www.etis.ford.com/home/welcome.do

I created a username and password, but could only get there by affirming that I am an independent automotive service provider (a lie) and that I will pay fees to Ford in Euros for access and information (also a lie). Now the site is waiting for me to give my address for Ford to send me invoices for said fees before allowing further access.

Also the VIN lookup no longer lists all the build info.

This doesn't strike me as matching the frequently-stated-here "registration is free" and the free-wheeling discussion of VIN numbers and build dates.

What's up with this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure if this means anything, but I was able to use the ETIS system without registering. Then, one day it asked me to register. I registered, free, and was able to use the system again. A couple weeks back I started getting errors when I tried to log in. Now, the system is back up and working but it looks different. I think they may have redone it and maybe changed the way they allow registration. I've heard a few people say they can't get on.
Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perchancetodream,

I registered as a I/O. Independent Operator. I am the operator and consider myself pretty independent. I feel like I meet their conditions under 2.1 of the agreement.
Look at section2.4. As long as you don't access these services there is no charge. As I recall you have to put your address in to complete the registration process. Once registered there are drop downs under the primary and minor features that will give you all the information on your VIN#.

2.1 You warrant that you satisfy the following conditions:

(a) You are an independent automotive-related service or repair business;

(b) You have given your authority to the individual registering you on the Website to enter into this Agreement on your behalf;

(c) You will fully and accurately complete the online registration form and forward it to Ford.

(d) You will pay the Pre-Payment charge (see below 2.4).
2.4 Pre-Payment

Following the registration process and prior to accessing Mechanical Repair, Body & Paint, Wiring Diagrams and IDS licence fee payment, an initial minimum Pre-Payment of 50 Euros is payable to Ford on the Website using a valid credit or debit card. This is the Initial charge for your FordEtis account. All other technical information on the FordEtis site is free of charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same issue as @perchancetodream.

Anyone willing to look up for me on FordEtis (1FDRU4XG8JKA31701)?

My delivery has been delayed way past the original given estimate. My online window sticker says the build date was in late November. Based on what I've read, I would expect to see it delivered right about now, but I'm sure the holidays are getting in the way.

Last I checked with the dealership (and by calling Ford themselves), the only information known is that it is "awaiting shipment".

This is pretty frustrating. I'm assuming that means it's sitting in some garage or convoy... just waiting. And nobody in particular is keeping track of its location or when it might be delivered. Ford told me straight up that they don't have a team or process in place to know where the vehicle is. What?! That's pretty bogus.

I would like to see the historical details on FordEtis, if anybody can help me out on that.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Last I checked with the dealership (and by calling Ford themselves), the only information known is that it is "awaiting shipment".

This is pretty frustrating. I'm assuming that means it's sitting in some garage or convoy... just waiting. And nobody in particular is keeping track of its location or when it might be delivered. Ford told me straight up that they don't have a team or process in place to know where the vehicle is. What?! That's pretty bogus.

You can track using: http://www.cotusb.ford.com/ not Etis. Do you have your VIN correct? It's not showing as a valid VIN.

I assume Ford didn't tell you they can't track your vehicle. I assume your dealer told you they couldn't. My dealer also didn't want to deal with the hassle of keeping track of my van.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can track using: http://www.cotusb.ford.com/ not Etis. Do you have your VIN correct? It's not showing as a valid VIN.

I assume Ford didn't tell you they can't track your vehicle. I assume your dealer told you they couldn't. My dealer also didn't want to deal with the hassle of keeping track of my van.
Thanks for the link. It's not working for me, either :(. It's definitely a valid VIN, as it generates very basic information on the model on FordEtis (not registered/logged in), and is able to generate a window sticker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was told on the Ford chat that the cotusb.ford.com site only works with vehicles of certain types in certain regions. And they weren't any more helpful than my previous inquiries on getting more information.

"awaiting shipment"

No details on how long that "awaiting shipment" period can last, nothing.

Great.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
"awaiting shipment"

No details on how long that "awaiting shipment" period can last, nothing.

Great.
If it's awaiting shipment and it's a high roof going by truck, it may take a while for a suitable truck to be available in the direction it needs to go and Ford is not going to know, I believe. It'll depend more on Jack Cooper Trucking for example to know. If it's going further than some number of miles, it goes by rail and then your dealer can tell you the rail line and you can track using the rail line's website.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Eiko, thanks for all the information. Super useful. I didn't realize it was such an unpredictable timeline; otherwise, I would have ordered a bit sooner. The timing was pretty critical, so I guess I should have been clear about that upfront.

The dealer who I originally spoke with said 8-10 weeks (nothing goes over 10 in his experience). It's been over 12 weeks. In the meantime, the original salesperson either quit or was fired and I was reassigned another salesperson. When I mentioned that timeline, he said he never tells people *less* than 12 weeks. Well, whoops.

I'm in the Denver area, and supposedly the van is in Kansas City. So I guess that distance makes sense for either train or truck, but I have no experience with such things. It would seem like a common truck route, as it is I-70 the whole way (< 700 miles, due West)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You must have a great dealer who doesn't know how to use the Ford system. They should know if it is on the transportation lot and if it is going by rail to your local distribution center or coming directly by flat bed truck. Usually if going 400 miles or less from the KC Assembly plant, it goes by flat bed truck.

Your dealer has a Vehicle Visibility that tells them where EVERY FORD VEHICLE is at from the time it is issued a VIN until it arrives at the dealership. Just tell them you found one nearly like the Transit you ordered at Midway Ford and you are taking it and they can keep the other one since they lied about the arrival date. You needed it before December 31 for a special tax break.

See what they come up with then?

Tell them to show you the information from the Vehicle Visibility on the Ford System!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You must have a great dealer who doesn't know how to use the Ford system. They should know if it is on the transportation lot and if it is going by rail to your local distribution center or coming directly by flat bed truck. Usually if going 400 miles or less from the KC Assembly plant, it goes by flat bed truck.

Your dealer has a Vehicle Visibility that tells them where EVERY FORD VEHICLE is at from the time it is issued a VIN until it arrives at the dealership. Just tell them you found one nearly like the Transit you ordered at Midway Ford and you are taking it and they can keep the other one since they lied about the arrival date. You needed it before December 31 for a special tax break.

See what they come up with then?

Tell them to show you the information from the Vehicle Visibility on the Ford System!
They seemed to anticipate some delays, and I was given a $2000 discount and a better tax rate than I had originally been quoted. Not going to complain about that.

Regarding, the "Ford system", I asked about the Vehicle Visibility like you mentioned. I believe the dealer was unable to access the system during the holiday shutdown, but I find it strange that Ford manages to *poof* away any accountability by always pointing any questions to the dealership. I tried to squeeze information directly from Ford. Every time I was given the canned responses: "we don't have a team or system to track vehicles that way", "contact your dealer for any details", etc... Really? You don't track your vehicles and their whereabouts? I even asked for someone's phone number on ground zero. They continued to give me the robotic responses.

For others considering doing a custom build and needing a more reliable time quote, I would suggest not to order your Transit in the 4th quarter -- when it will probably be built between Thanksgiving and New Year. Add *at least* a month to what you think will be worst case scenario because Ford and the dealer are likely to give you false optimism.

I was told delivery by December 16th, then December 20th. Then the updates stopped at "awaiting shipment" in Kansas City until the plant came back online on January 2nd. The only "new" information confirmed the van was definitely scheduled for rail. Three days later (Jan 5) I was given information on a particular rail company ramp location. Making things worse, the rail company name I was given (Norfolk Southern) doesn't even have tracks going further west than Kansas City (I live in Denver).

As far as I know, the completed van has been sitting in one place for an entire month or more.

Kinda just venting now. Getting frustrated, and I just want my van to be here!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The Vehicle Visibility is up just about on a 24 hour basis. I have used it over the holidays to look for cars, check the status on the ones Matt Ford has out there, and print some of the window stickers that were out of the regular online scope. One of the things that Ford Corporate tries not to do is go beyond the bounds of what the dealer should be doing, and that is communicating with the customer. If they gave you the information and then you went back to dealer with getting it from Ford, they would be upset with Ford and telling them they were getting in the way of their customer.

Once your Transit is loaded on a rail car, Ford gets that information from the railroad and they send that to the dealer. Here is a example of another model that is coming to Matt Ford and this is what you see once it goes on a rail car. Once the Transit leaves the plant and goes to the transportation lot, it is somewhat out of their hands as far as it getting on a rail car or a flat bed truck/trailer.

When going on the rail car, you can see from the attached picture from the Vehicle Visibility page that it shows the rail car number with the corresponding railroad company. You can then go to most of the railroad websites and with the rail car number, you can track it until it gets to the local distribution center where it is offloaded on a parking lot in a marked space and then waits for the local transport trucks to deliver it to the dealer.

If you would have ordered your HD Transit from us, it would have already been sitting in your driveway. All of the Transits that were ordered in the September dates showed up here in the last weeks of December and it would just have been a matter of you making the trip to KC to get it. That is why some Transit buyers decide to order from us and make that trip. The transportation on the larger MR & HR Transit can get held up for 30 to 45 days after it is built. It is all a matter of catching the rail car coming to your area right at the time it is built. Some Transits get right out on the lot, go into the rail car within a day or two, and make a fast trip like the one recently that went from the plant to Texas and then to CA in less than one week! Others may have to sit on the lot waiting for the special height rail car that just so happens to be coming their way.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I do wish I had done a little more research on here and decided to pick it up in KC. I was planning a trip to central TX first, anyway. My hopes based on everything I'm learning is that it will show up in the next couple weeks, but I'm bracing to wait into February.

February would be very unfortunate as I have multiple friends and family I can be helping move in the upcoming weeks. Not to mention, I am basically homeless right now! I am ready to live out of it -- solar system, microcompressor fridge, the whole 9! Good thing I have the resources at work and friends to help me out.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If you know that Norfolk Southern is the railroad your car is supposed to travel on, you might get some information without the rail car number by calling 1 888 649-9273, when you get the recording, key in option 4, Finished Vehicles and have your VIN handy. They may be able to track it with the VIN. In the past, I did it with the rail car number and they only may be able to track it that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you know that Norfolk Southern is the railroad your car is supposed to travel on, you might get some information without the rail car number by calling 1 888 649-9273, when you get the recording, key in option 4, Finished Vehicles and have your VIN handy. They may be able to track it with the VIN. In the past, I did it with the rail car number and they only may be able to track it that way.
I called this morning, and they refused to give me information because I'm not a dealership *facepalm*. I am just going to have to ask my dealership to call them so they can relay the information to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.