Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Ford display of the AWD System on the Transit

51K views 123 replies 42 participants last post by  CrewVanManInfo 
#1 · (Edited)
Complete Ford display and the AWD System on the Transit

Ford had a nice looking display of the AWD System for the Ford Transit. They lady over Powertrain Systems for Ford explained all of the workings on it to me and we went over all the detailed parts that were highlighted in the display.

The first picture was part of the Ford presentation on ALL of the NEW changes in the Ford Truck Division with Transit just being one part of it.

The rest of the pictures are from the display of the AWD System on the Ford Transit.

The Orange driveshaft was shortened to just show the connection between back of the Transfer Case and the Rear Axle assembly.

The Silver case is the NEW 10 Speed Transmission that is NOW STANDARD on ALL Transit models.

The engine displayed with this AWD setup was the 3.5L V-6 engine that is replacing the 3.7L engine.

The Long Blue bracing is part of the support for the linkup of the front to rear drive system for the AWD. Without this bracing, there would be too much flexing in the distribution of the power between the front and rear drivelines.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the CrewCab seating option that was on the 2020 T-250 Transit van.

BOTH the cloth and leather materials have been changed for the 2020 model.

The CrewCab and CrewVan models will have their own body codes so you won't be able to get BOTH seating arrangements together from the factory.

Attachments

#3 ·
The Instrument Panel is ALL NEW with changes in the Instrument Cluster, Audio System (that looks to be similar to the Ford EcoSport). BOTH ends of the Instrument Panel with relocated cup holders. Other changes in the upper portion of the dash towards the windshield that are different from prior models.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
More 2020 Transit information fro the display boards.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Here are the displays for the 2 NEW available engines!!

Attachments

#6 ·
The 3.5L EcoBoost engine UNCHANGED from 2019 and prior. The change to the 2nd Generation 3.5L may be coming in 2021 according to the information I got from the Powertrain Group

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
One mentioned option that was kept hidden and not shown BUT was there was the Power Sliding Side Door. I knew what the mechanism would look like from the Continental Group who designed it for the European model and had a prototype of it at their State Fair of Texas display 2 years ago. It was on the 2020 T-250 cargo van that was there.

Attachments

#8 ·
The CrewVan was one of the display vehicles that was planned to be at the show but delays in the final finish kept it from being in the show. They did show a picture of it on the presentation screen.

Note this one has the pop-out second row windows that up to now were only available on the passenger van.

Attachments

#9 ·
For you guys wondering about how Ford looks at the upfitted 4x4 models made by Quigley and QuadVans. Through the Powertrain Group, they look at the 4x4 model to be a more heavy use vehicle that would be used in the mountains and for offroad applications. On the presentation screen, they only showed the AWD in normal road conditions and in a few pictures in the snow.

Attachments

#10 ·
Did they talk about how the system is able to transfer 100 percent of torque forwards? I was already operating under the assumption that it's more like the AWD you see in crossovers. Mainly meant for inclement weather or forest roads. For me personally, I can't fit a van anywhere that would require more than that, but for those who are really venturing off the beaten path, they are still going to want a true 4wd setup IMHO.

#16 · (Edited)
We should really make a awd/4wd thread...

This is definitely of interest to me. I see both sides of the arguement and the natural inclination is to lean towards the 4x4 for durability and the low range for offroad. Ignoring low range for now...

When you step back and think about it, durability of the drivetrain offroad is really defined by the input/output torque design limits of all rotating components. There is some rotational windup/torsional springing of driveshafts and axleshafts which lessens shock loading, but for the most part engine torque output to transmission, multiplied by trans (1st gear is highest) is then further multiplied by the diff ratio and transferred to the tire contact patch (rolling radius of tire at psi).

This Awd system is designed to see 400 ft.lbf input from the ecoboost 3.5 on road in a high traction situation.
It is also shared with the explorer which gets a 360 hp ecoboost and an ST version that gets 400 plus supposedly.

Offroad in difficult situations you may use a small fraction of that input torque leaving the rest of the system's strength to absorb torque and shock loads imparted to the tires (wedged, hopping etc).

Basically the awd system has to be more robust in design to handle on road max engine input therefore low engine input situations offroad leave a lot of strength capability left in the drivetrain for tire force inputs. It's not a frail system of it is behind a 400 ft.lbf engine, it cant be.

The lack of low range would seam to be the only drawback to capability.

Are they CV driveshaft couplers? The offset of the yoke from the center under high angle misalignment would lead me to believe they were?

#11 ·
One thing that I have shown on the forum when adding running boards to your Transit is the new panels that were made back in 2018 when the Extended Length Running Boards were added as a option and Ford created a flatten panel in the area of the front doors and the slider. You can order these panels from Ford and add to your current Transit to give you better footing on your running boards.

NOW........Ford decided to make this easier when you add running boards to your 2020 Transit. AND......I have talked to them about having the Extended Length Running Boards setup as a over-the-counter accessories option so you can order it from your Ford Parts Department and ALL of the parts to install it come together and at a reduced cost from CURRENTLY having to order it by separate parts that make up the complete running board setup

Attachments

#23 ·
One thing that I have shown on the forum when adding running boards to your Transit is the new panels that were made back in 2018 when the Extended Length Running Boards were added as a option and Ford created a flatten panel in the area of the front doors and the slider. You can order these panels from Ford and add to your current Transit to give you better footing on your running boards.
Sorry, it might be off-top, but my dealer refused to sell molding alone and told me that it's sold only as a set with running boards together. By the chance, do you know part number for passenger side sliding door molding for 2018 and how to order it alone? Thank you.

#17 ·
Since I got to meet some of the Ford people connected with the Powertrain Group, I may be able to get more information about the AWD system above what information is given out on the internet. There is NO published information as far as literature yet on the 2020 Transit. I did actually see one printed copy of the 2020 Ford Transit Order Guide and it looks to be over 40 pages. The current 2019 Ford Transit Order Guide on the Matt Ford site is 30 pages so the added pages may have to do with the added AWD, CrewCab, and CrewVan options added for the 2020 model.

#19 ·
You can already have input from the Transit owners who have went the route of ordering and receiving their Quigley or QuadVans 4x4 Transit. It will take some time getting information from Ford about ALL the details on the 2020 Ford Transit AWD. I will try and get one of the Ford Powertrain Group members to get me some information I can pass on via the forum.

#24 · (Edited)
You can get all 3 pieces of the molding trim that comes with the Extended Length Running Boards. Guess you need to go to another Ford dealer to order these parts since your dealer is trying to sell you the whole setup that you do not need if you already have aftermarket running boards.

You have to order the passenger side side door based on your wheelbase, The driver and passenger door parts are the same no matter what wheelbase you have.

I have the 2 parts for the RH & LH front doors and the side molding for the 148" WB. Another forum member had the 130" WB and he found out how high priced it was and went another route with getting the correct part by ordering the full passenger step that comes with the molding and selling the step panel.

Driver door...JK4Z 6110177-AB
Passenger door...JK4Z 6110176-AB
Side door for 148" WB...CK4Z 6110176-FB

I found the thread where I had all of the parts and updated it so you can see ALL of them.

"

#25 ·
CVM, thank you for all the pics. Quite an undertaking to take and post close to 5 and a half dozen pictures.

From post one ~~ it looks like the 10 speed trans has the same one inch long dipstick handle as the six-speed. Do you know if there is a drain plug and the ability to easily remove the drain pan on the 10-speed? What about fill and drain plugs on transfer case and differentials?

Will the new naturally aspirated 3.5 L have port injection and direct fuel injection? Not sure if I'm reading the pfdi lettering correctly.

Thanks, again.

#26 · (Edited)
The Detroit Free Press newspaper is claiming there is a new larger 2020 Transit- the size of a UPS van....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../ford-commercial-vehicles-transit/3063103002/

And- as if Ford hasn't caused enough confusion in the automotive world with the Transit and Transit Connect-
now they announce a new 7.3L gas engine- when the 7.3 diesel Powerstrokes are still in use by the millions.....wow. They could have made it a 7.4 or 7.2 but noooooo.......

#27 · (Edited)
-> CrewVanMan.

I am sure I speak for many on here when I say thank you for taking so many pictures and posting them.

Although I am almost at the point of starting a GoFundMe account to get you a newer phone with a high resolution camera! I really appreciated the photos you sent me of my van when it arrived at Matt Ford since I was out of the country, and some of those would have made great desktop photos if the resolution was higher. Also, a lot of the pictures you take of the features and accessories would be great sales documentation on the Matt Ford web site, but they aren't of a high enough resolution to use them on a web site. Maybe Ryan Matt should buy you a decent digital camera! If I was in his shoes I'd buy you a camera so I could use those images for marketing.

#29 · (Edited)
Since I have ordered so many of the driver and passenger panels via Matt Ford, they are now stocking those 2 parts. With the higher cost on the rear passenger panel and the length of the 148" WB part, they have not kept those specific parts in stock. So many Transit owners have seen how much more footprint you can get on the aftermarket full length running boards on my DSD Transit and that gets requests to me about getting those panels for them.
I even have a set now that I keep in my Transit just in case someone would like to have a set of them and don't want to wait to order them via the Ford parts counter.

Why a dealer would not make a sale on these panels and mislead someone that they have to spend BIG dollars just to get these is ??. I would not use this dealer for any services as if you took your Transit to their Service department, they may try to pad you service bill as well.

#31 ·
I wonder how many AWD Transits Ford will sell in the first year? 5000? Maybe 10,000? The second year will probably be less than half as many, because the people that "really want it" will have already bought it.

I'm sure Ford has done plenty of marketing research and knows that this is a profitable move, at least enough to justify the cost of bringing it to the USA market. I'm just sceptical about the "high demand" imagined by some because they themselves want it. I wouldn't mind it myself because there are many times when I could use it, but the mpg drop isn't worth it to me. If it were starting at 25 and the AWD brought it down to 20-22, then I'd be ok with it, but wishing I still got 25!

#33 ·
I wonder how many AWD Transits Ford will sell in the first year? 5000? Maybe 10,000? The second year will probably be less than half as many, because the people that "really want it" will have already bought it.
Having just spent a week visiting sisters, etc in Montana and being snowed in, I would definitely trade at least one of our wagons on a 2020 AWD if we lived there.

Fortunately for my checkbook, here in sunny Florida such a need is preposterous. :D

PS: tomorrow after preaching, I'll be @ Disney in 88 degree temps with no need of AWD 0:)

Attachments

Reactions: surly Bill
#34 ·
Based on the fact that there have been backorders for the Sprinter, Quigley and Quadvan conversions since they came out. I don't think they will have a problem moving units. Who knows what the market capacity is for such a van, but it's nice to have a factory option in the Transit platform vs the Sprinter IMHO.

#35 ·
I think there were only backorders of the Sprinter 4x4 the first year, and then you could find them on the lot. The 4x4 upfitters produce a limited number of vans, so they will always have high demand (and they are a more robust beast, better than would be expected from the factory AWD vans)

#36 ·
CrewVanManInfo - if you get a chance to find out which front axle they're using, i.e.: what Ford vehicle was it derived from.

It sure looks mighty small. I'm wondering if it's derived from say, an Explorer or something like that.

No way can that pumpkin shown in the photos be the 8.8" axle used in the F150 (which AFAIK is what the aftermarket 4WD upgrades use)

IIRC, GM's AWD van used the very weak 7.2" axle out of one of their smaller SUVs (Trailblazer, maybe?).

#37 ·
Ford started with the European model setup and then redesigned it for the USA Transit. It is pretty much its own design and with the V-6 engine being a part of this design, it is not related to the European model that only has the 2.0L Diesel engine available.

When talking to the Ford Transit Brand Group members, they will be getting me more information on the 2020 when the final decisions are made. I may have some input on the CrewVan model with the seating situations and the bulkhead related to that model.

#38 ·
Ford started with the European model setup and then redesigned it for the USA Transit.
Maybe it's functionally similar but the physical components look like a pretty standard US scheme, unlike the EuroTransit which is much more highly integrated (see below)

It is pretty much its own design and with the V-6 engine being a part of this design, it is not related to the European model...
Physical configuration appears entirely different. Maybe the fact that AWD is only offered in Europe with the same 2.0L diesel that *isn't* going to be available with AWD here is a clue, but it's still baffling.

When talking to the Ford Transit Brand Group members, they will be getting me more information on the 2020 when the final decisions are made.
I'll watch for any update on the specifics of the 2020 US Transit AWD hardware. Specifically interested in what front axle they are adapting to the Transit.
Thanks!

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)
^ There really will be *ZERO* advantage to buying a Sprinter for an off-road-capable RV in the US once Ford starts building AWD Transits, unless someone really needs the 170" WB and/or 87" of interior height.

I do think the mid-roof Sprinter's 6.5 ft interior height is a better compromise than the Transit's choices, at least for anyone who is a little taller than average. I assume Ford's mid-roof height decision was a compromise intended to allow access to drive-thrus and parking garages. And I would liked to have a little more than 12-ft clear load length behind the seats instead of just shy of 12-ft. (who knows why they did that!).

But the horror stories about the Mercedes DEF and DPF are only the tip of the iceberg. Lots of other problems due to excessively complex design choices, even on the gas versions, none of which offer anything close to the real-world performance of the 3.5EB, especially at high gross weights. Factoring in that only some of an already tiny dealer network's service depts are familiar with Sprinters and the certainty of much higher cost routine maintenance along with the possibility of exorbitantly expensive out-of-warranty repairs, I'd say US buyers would be better off with a aftermarket-converted 4WD Transit than an OEM 4WD Sprinter.

So yeah, your decision to ditch the Sprinter and go with a Transit was undoubtedly the correct one.

#111 ·
Personally I think the lack of interior height, especially at the doorways, is a big mistake for Ford (and FCA). I am less than 6 ft tall and bumped my head at the dealer lot the first time I tried to enter one. Not exactly the way to sell a tall interior van.

The 158s transits are ok for building one out, but still a bit short. I have not warmed up to that "caboose" look of the extended length transit.

BTW- not trashing Ford at all, just wishing they were a little taller, wider, longer. Yes I know this reduces fuel efficiency, but if you don't fit, does it matter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.