Ford Transit USA Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would be interested when I am ready to trade in my 2018.
Surprised you do not sell many - they are supposed to be more stable and have better traction.
I would think an AWD HD would be extremely competent in challenging weather.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
You have to remember this is the first year for the AWD and our history with just the RWD HD has been about 6 out of over 179 Transit we have ordered since 2017. In the last year most of our sales have been the HR models, R2X & R3X since a lot of dealers do not have enough allocations to get those models and we have not had any problems getting them. Not having to place the larger MR & HR models on the rail car and having local delivery 24 miles from the holding lot kept us out of a lot of restrictions in getting those models.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:|o
You have to remember this is the first year for the AWD and our history with just the RWD HD has been about 6 out of over 179 Transit we have ordered since 2017. In the last year most of our sales have been the HR models, R2X & R3X since a lot of dealers do not have enough allocations to get those models and we have not had any problems getting them. Not having to place the larger MR & HR models on the rail car and having local delivery 24 miles from the holding lot kept us out of a lot of restrictions in getting those models.
What’s the highest weight rating for a 2020 awd t350 low roof extended wheelbase? Is this available in HD. I don’t want or need a tall roof but want and need maximum capacity.

·
Registered
688 Posts
/images/smilies/tango_face_plain.pngo
What’s the highest weight rating for a 2020 awd t350 low roof extended wheelbase? Is this available in HD. I don’t want or need a tall roof but want and need maximum capacity.
Pretty sure all the HD are high roof extended body dualies.
Capacity may have gone up in 2020.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Bringing this thread back so you can view the Power Sliding Door track. They did not have the door operational or even told anyone about it. I just happened to know what it looked like from the company that made it for the European model who had a booth at the State Fair of Texas 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Now after seeing the AWD view and knowing it will cost from $4500 to $4900 depending on the body style, will you be going for the NEW 2020 AWD or looking to get a 2018 or 2019 RWD and go with sending it to Quigley or QuadVan for a 4X4 conversion?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now after seeing the AWD view and knowing it will cost from $4500 to $4900 depending on the body style, will you be going for the NEW 2020 AWD or looking to get a 2018 or 2019 RWD and go with sending it to Quigley or QuadVan for a 4X4 conversion?

It sure depends on expected use. Full off road vs dirt roads vs more capable on slippery streets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
go with sending it to Quigley or QuadVan for a 4X4 conversion?
Ford AWD is a better option for us. 4x4 conversion absolutely makes NO sense for our use, probably put me into a far more risky off-roading situation than a RWD transit, almost like a false security. The worst part is to attract too many people to check out your rig in Walmart parking lot and ask lots of dumb questions. It gets old very fast. >:D.

Again it depends on your objectives.

·
Registered
18 Posts
---"Again it depends on your objectives.---"

If one's ONLY need for AWD was for launching a boat at a slippery ramp, but that was most important, will the AWD be that much better than RWD with LSD? I will wait and read some real world experiences with the new 2020 but that is the dollar value question foremost in my mind as I watch this rollout.

·
Registered
160 Posts
^ There really will be *ZERO* advantage to buying a Sprinter for an off-road-capable RV in the US once Ford starts building AWD Transits, unless someone really needs the 170" WB and/or 87" of interior height.

I do think the mid-roof Sprinter's 6.5 ft interior height is a better compromise than the Transit's choices, at least for anyone who is a little taller than average. I assume Ford's mid-roof height decision was a compromise intended to allow access to drive-thrus and parking garages. And I would liked to have a little more than 12-ft clear load length behind the seats instead of just shy of 12-ft. (who knows why they did that!).

But the horror stories about the Mercedes DEF and DPF are only the tip of the iceberg. Lots of other problems due to excessively complex design choices, even on the gas versions, none of which offer anything close to the real-world performance of the 3.5EB, especially at high gross weights. Factoring in that only some of an already tiny dealer network's service depts are familiar with Sprinters and the certainty of much higher cost routine maintenance along with the possibility of exorbitantly expensive out-of-warranty repairs, I'd say US buyers would be better off with a aftermarket-converted 4WD Transit than an OEM 4WD Sprinter.

So yeah, your decision to ditch the Sprinter and go with a Transit was undoubtedly the correct one.
Personally I think the lack of interior height, especially at the doorways, is a big mistake for Ford (and FCA). I am less than 6 ft tall and bumped my head at the dealer lot the first time I tried to enter one. Not exactly the way to sell a tall interior van.

The 158s transits are ok for building one out, but still a bit short. I have not warmed up to that "caboose" look of the extended length transit.

BTW- not trashing Ford at all, just wishing they were a little taller, wider, longer. Yes I know this reduces fuel efficiency, but if you don't fit, does it matter?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Bringing back this forum thread so everyone could get a view of how the AWD system looks like for the 2020 Transit. First orders are in for this model so I hope to have REAL PICTURES of the Transit AWD sometime in November. Could possibly have some pictures from the SEMA Show on the 2020 Transit based on what Ford might show up with for display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^ There really will be *ZERO* advantage to buying a Sprinter for an off-road-capable RV in the US once Ford starts building AWD Transits, unless someone really needs the 170" WB and/or 87" of interior height.

I do think the mid-roof Sprinter's 6.5 ft interior height
Sprinter only has two roof options (standard and high), so I'm not sure what you mean by "mid". Nor am I sure where you're getting 87" from. The "high" option has 79.1 "interior standing height" per their specs:
mbvansDOTcom/sprinter/commercial-vans/cargo-van

2019 Transit has three roof options (low, medium, and high), and the "high" has 81.5 "cargo height maximum" per their specs:
fordDOTcom/commercial-trucks/transit-cargo-van/models/transit-van/

What I'm curious about though is the ground clearance on the upcoming AWD. Even for existing models I'm having a very hard time finding that spec published on the actual Ford site, and finding lots of varying 3rd party info. I love the clearance on the 4x4 Sprinter, but I don't love all the stories of maintenance nightmares... those are pushing me toward Ford.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The AWD model is going to be the same height as the RWD model. They wanted to have that feature for the large T-350HD passenger vans so the people could get into the van easily. Looking to see what happens when various aftermarket companies start trying to raise them up higher and if any extra stress is placed on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The AWD model is going to be the same height as the RWD model. They wanted to have that feature for the large T-350HD passenger vans so the people could get into the van easily. Looking to see what happens when various aftermarket companies start trying to raise them up higher and if any extra stress is placed on the drivetrain.
Do you happen to know where the clearance of the current RWD is officially published? Can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sprinter only has two roof options (standard and high), so I'm not sure what you mean by "mid". Nor am I sure where you're getting 87" from. The "high" option has 79.1 "interior standing height" per their specs:
mbvansDOTcom/sprinter/commercial-vans/cargo-van

2019 Transit has three roof options (low, medium, and high), and the "high" has 81.5 "cargo height maximum" per their specs:
fordDOTcom/commercial-trucks/transit-cargo-van/models/transit-van/

What I'm curious about though is the ground clearance on the upcoming AWD. Even for existing models I'm having a very hard time finding that spec published on the actual Ford site, and finding lots of varying 3rd party info. I love the clearance on the 4x4 Sprinter, but I don't love all the stories of maintenance nightmares... those are pushing me toward Ford.
Sprinter has been available off and on over the years with a third roof height option, Super high roof with 84" interior height.
https://www.automotive-fleet.com/128390/mercedes-benz-introduces-super-high-roof-sprinter

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
More inquiries about what the AWD system looks like so bringing back this forum thread so you can refresh your mind on what it looks like. Should be able to see the REAL THING on a 2020 Transit close to the first week of November. I will be tracking VINs on the assembly line and should be able to locate some of the first built 2020 Transits.

Most will be Commercial ordered units so you may be sad to see another Oxford White Transit. Just keep looking on the Transit forum and hope to have a true picture on some of the first built 2020 Transits.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Bringing back this forum thread so members NEW to the forum can see some of the first pictures on the 2020 Transit and answer some questions pertaining to the front 3 passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bringing back this forum thread so you can see the first pictures on the 2020 CrewVan from the show. It also has the detailed look at the AWD system with a layout separated from the Transit body structure.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts