Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I see the mention about the 2nd gen ecoboost v6 possible for 2021. Can I ask.... get me up to speed on the differences of the gen 2 be gen 1.

Nevermind I googled it. Sounds like a way nicer motor. Bummer the 2020 doesn’t see it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just saw this qoute: "In regions where weather delivers challenging driving conditions, the newly available Intelligent All-Wheel Drive (AWD) is available with gasoline powertrains." on this web page: https://www.ford.com/trucks/transit-passenger-van-wagon/2020/#1

wonder why only on gasoline powertrains? I was excited to order the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel with 10 speed transmission and AWD :-(

The assumption being that the little 2.0 liter diesel + 10 speed would get fantastic MPG. Doesn't the sprinter in that config get high 20's low 30's MPG?

·
Registered
31 Posts
wonder why only on gasoline powertrains? I was excited to order the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel with 10 speed transmission and AWD :-(

The assumption being that the little 2.0 liter diesel + 10 speed would get fantastic MPG. Doesn't the sprinter in that config get high 20's low 30's MPG?
I was wondering why no one else had commented on this. I have the 2.1 liter twin turbo diesel in my Sprinter and it's absolutely amazing. Typical mileage is 24-27 MPG. With the high roof, high speed is what reduces the mileage the most, and I found this summer that driving around Yellowstone National Park at the lower speed limits resulted in over 30 MPG.
Lowest mileage I have ever recorded (end of tank) is 21.8 MPG. Unfortunately the Sprinter 4x4 isn't available with the 4 cyl either, so I passed on the 4x4 to get the bi-turbo 4.

·
Registered
804 Posts
wonder why only on gasoline powertrains? I was excited to order the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel with 10 speed transmission and AWD ?

I was wondering why no one else had commented on this. I have the 2.1 liter twin turbo diesel in my Sprinter and it's absolutely amazing. Typical mileage is 24-27 MPG. With the high roof, high speed is what reduces the mileage the most, and I found this summer that driving around Yellowstone National Park at the lower speed limits resulted in over 30 MPG.
Lowest mileage I have ever recorded (end of tank) is 21.8 MPG. Unfortunately the Sprinter 4x4 isn't available with the 4 cyl either, so I passed on the 4x4 to get the bi-turbo 4.
Maybe they subscribe to the do not change too much at once philosophy.

I think that helps reliability.

We may not have all the options we want today, but compared to the Econoline, they are doing very well.

The trend is good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
CVM, thank you for all the pics. Quite an undertaking to take and post close to 5 and a half dozen pictures.

From post one ~~ it looks like the 10 speed trans has the same one inch long dipstick handle as the six-speed. Do you know if there is a drain plug and the ability to easily remove the drain pan on the 10-speed? What about fill and drain plugs on transfer case and differentials?

Will the new naturally aspirated 3.5 L have port injection and direct fuel injection? Not sure if I'm reading the pfdi lettering correctly.

Thanks, again.
Any info on this yet? Already have an answer on the pfdi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
true 4wd setup

Did they talk about how the system is able to transfer 100 percent of torque forwards? I was already operating under the assumption that it's more like the AWD you see in crossovers. Mainly meant for inclement weather or forest roads. For me personally, I can't fit a van anywhere that would require more than that, but for those who are really venturing off the beaten path, they are still going to want a true 4wd setup IMHO.
Agreed. I live at 6,000 ft in Tahoe, and the all wheel drives in my neighborhood get stuck in their driveways. Audi Q7's, Q5's, Sprinters, etc. "Buy good old fashioned American shiftable 4x4's," they're saying.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
In case you go to some of the local auto shows and see the locked up 2020 Transits. this thread has some pictures from the Indianapolis Work Truck show where Ford would let us get inside the 2020 Ford Transits at the show.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Many 2020 Transit prospective buyers have sent emails to me about what the 2020 model looks like so bringing this forum thread back up to see the pictures on it. With the late production starting date being October 21st, you may not even see one at your local dealer until January 2020.

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
With the late production starting date being October 21st, you may not even see one at your local dealer until January 2020.
What a concept, a 2020 model not on the lots until 2020 :nerd:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Not sure why Ford went from the startup of the NEW model that usually starts production after Labor Day weekend to this October 21st date. Wondering if there may be a assembly line shutdown for retooling the plant to make the changes for the AWD models. The last order date for the 2019 model is moved about a month further (July 7th) than in past years and the date from setting up scheduling, which is August 17th, 2019 to first production date is 45 days which was normally close to 30 days. We still do not have confirmation about whether the AWD models will be built at introduction or placed as a late availability model so would not have that model available during the best time to use it....in the Winter months!

·
Registered
234 Posts
well, I was getting 17.8-18.5 mpg for daily driving.... the best I got on hwy was 21.8 mpg.... I don't haul a lot of heavy stuff...mainly furniture....but I was happy with mine.....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A member of the Ford Brand Group contacted me yesterday and said all the information on the 2020 Ford Transit would be available on July 17th. That would include the order guide, order bank, and pricing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did they talk about how the system is able to transfer 100 percent of torque forwards? I was already operating under the assumption that it's more like the AWD you see in crossovers. Mainly meant for inclement weather or forest roads. For me personally, I can't fit a van anywhere that would require more than that, but for those who are really venturing off the beaten path, they are still going to want a true 4wd setup IMHO.

AWD with Truck Claw might do the stuck trick. does anyone know if a Truck Claw will fit in the wheel well?

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wow, still having under 18000 miles on mine, I'll have to make due. But I am very impressed with the upcoming AWD 2020 models. I wonder if Quigley will go back to accepting owner vans for conversion again at some point? For my fellow Quigley owners who are not following them on IG, they have a new online store and they're selling a large assortment of Quigley hats I just ordered a couple. The 15% discount code is WELCOME15 (keep it a secret)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Bringing this forum thread back up so you can view some of the details for the AWD system for the Ford Transit. We NOW have the Transit body style codes for the AWD models so you have that first thing to write down for your Transit order sheet. I know a few forum members who have already absorbed all of the information available to them so far on the 2020 model and have a idea of what they want to order.

Getting the AWD model is the largest reason for getting the 2020 model other than buyers who have wanted to have a factory CrewVan model with 5 passenger seating and the area in the back for making their special use vehicle. Whether using it for hauling motorcycles, bicycles, or camping gear it now gives you a chance to take more than 2 people with you and not have to go with a passenger van to get extra seats and have that versatility to go with what you need for the rest of the Transit vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like from your other posts that the awd 3.5 ecoboost will not have a guibo? Also can you confirm if the 2020 ecoboost 3.5 has port fuel injection to keep the valves clean?

61 - 80 of 123 Posts