Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts
My mentioning of the Sprinter was not a comparison of the two, just a relevant story about the sales and demand of the first year awd/4x4 model.

I jut ordered a 2019 and I honestly am tempted to go cancel my order and wait for awd! I wonder though on the gas mileage and the added price.
Ford is claiming better mpg due to the 10-speed and start/stop, and the 3.5 non-turbo replacing the 3.7 is also supposed to get better mpg. This *might* make the AWD about the same as current Transits, which is awful, but 15 is better than 12. Yeah, sure, the claimed mpg is higher and some hypermilers are getting 18-19 on the highway. My average over 52k is still at 15.3 in mixed driving.

Ford is claiming better mpg due to the 10-speed and start/stop, and the 3.5 non-turbo replacing the 3.7 is also supposed to get better mpg. This *might* make the AWD about the same as current Transits, which is awful, but 15 is better than 12. Yeah, sure, the claimed mpg is higher and some hypermilers are getting 18-19 on the highway. My average over 52k is still at 15.3 in mixed driving.
I did go for the Ecoboost so I think my mileage should be a bit better than 15, seems most people report around 19 with the eco. I still wish there was even a basic overview of prices to help me decide!

I did go for the Ecoboost so I think my mileage should be a bit better than 15, seems most people report around 19 with the eco. I still wish there was even a basic overview of prices to help me decide!
In 28,000 miles my 2015 high roof Ecoboost with 2,000 lb conversion averages about 15 mpg.

The people reporting 18+ mpg with the gas engines are only talking about long highway trips, not their average mpg for daily use. I get 17-18mpg on some 350+ mile highway trips going 65-70mph. BIG drop in mpg over 70-75mph. Best mpg at about 45mph; in case you're trying to squeeze miles out of a near empty tank to the next gas station.
For a variety of reasons, the Transits sold in North America get horrible mpg compared to similar vehicles sold worldwide. But, the low purchase price makes up for higher operating costs. If the AWD model is offered at a reasonable option price (less than $6k), it will be acceptable to only get 15-16mpg (assuming the changes in drivetrain will allow the AWD to achieve the 2015-2019 2WD drivetrain mpg). However, the Merikun market wants bigger engines with lower mpg, so that's what Ford delivers.

Reactions: slime
Yes, but the exact same body with different drivetrain produces a 25mpg vehicle in other parts of the world. That's the point of my rant.
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/best/2018/large-vans-mpg/
That site is in the UK, where "gallon" means imperial gallon, which is 4.55 liters.
A US gallon is 3.78 liters, which is only 83% of an imperial gallon.

So right off the bat, multipy those euro mpq values by 0.83

And if that's not enough, the fact that the european driving cycle is easier than even the US EPA cycle, which itself often falls short of matching US real-world MPG, probably accounts for the rest.

The european vans cited probably are typically expected to be used for package delivery, which has less high speed driving than on US highways. Given that fuel costs many times more there, drivers tend to be more economy conscious compared to US drivers who seem to drive like they're fleeing the scene of a crime. ;)

I strongly suspect that those euro vans do not get much, if any mileage than their direct US counterparts, when both are driven the same way. It's not like current US emissions standards are so much different than current suro standards that it would significantly affect fuel economy..

Yeah, I was in a rush, I didn't remind people that they aren't Real American gallons, but some kind of foreigner gallons that are of course smaller.
Also to clarify things, the USA has strict emissions standards as well as minimum acceleration standards. Those are some of the reasons you can't just (easily) go over to Spain and buy a Transit and ship it back to Merikuh to drive around. I would suspect the Euro drivetrains could meet the USA accel standards. The drivetrain offerings are more of providing what the market wants, and Merikuns want NASCAR-ready delivery vans. Just in case they're called up to fill a no-show in a race.

40 foreigner mpg's are about 33 Merikun mpg's. 33 is still more than twice the mpg I get, which leads me to believe there is plenty of room even with USA regulations to achieve 25mpg. But we don't want that.

But, this thread is about the 2020 AWD Transit. The expected MPG of the 2020 AWD was the side-topic that got us on this track (sorry I talked about MPG in your AWD party, everyone).

Yeah, I was in a rush, I didn't remind people that they aren't Real American gallons, but some kind of foreigner gallons that are of course smaller.
...in the UK, a "gallon" means imperial gallon, which is 4.55 liters.
A US gallon is 3.78 liters, which is only 83% of an imperial gallon.
Imperial gallon is larger: 1.2 US gallons.

...in the UK, a "gallon" means imperial gallon, which is 4.55 liters.
A US gallon is 3.78 liters, whicha is only 83% of an imperial gallon.
Imperial gallon is larger: 1.2 US gallons.
Darn that Washington, screwed us out of bigger gallons.

Yup, pretty much the same here. Just hit 28k on my 16 MR w/ Ecoboost... 14.8 average
That high roof really makes a huge difference. That's what my computer says I get in my Quigley with 31" tires. Allow for the 10% speedo offset and I'm somewhere around 16mpg.

And I'm in a 3.7L plain Jane.

Air drag has exponential effect on mpg after 50-55mph. The HR and MR and LR all get pretty much the same mpg below 40, but huge differences above 70.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.