Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Ordered 11/22/2021-> 2022 W2X T350 HR CARGO AWD, 3.5L EB, Avalanche Gray
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the late availability status of the Smart Mirror (rear view mirror w live video view of what's behind you as you drive), I decided to include the 360 degree camera option in my order.

I had, perhaps erroneously, believed that I could cycle through the view options when driving so that the rear camera/s were displayed. But I've just read some info that it only works when going less than something like 7 mph. When you get up to speed, the video feed goes off and some kind of legalese is displayed about why you can't use it.

Can someone confirm this? Does anyone currently have experience using the 360 degree video for more than parking or other slow-moving uses?

Karyn

·
Registered
...shopping
201 Posts
I can't confirm how the Transit is going to work (not sure anybody can), but I have several other vehicles (non Ford), and they ALL work as you describe--blank out at speed. I think they don't want people to try to drive on instruments. :)

That said, I think that the bird-view cameras are well worthwhile, even if they only work while parking.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That said, I think that the bird-view cameras are well worthwhile, even if they only work while parking.
Agree with well worthwhile.

Why the cameras don't work at speed is likely in a US Federal regulation somewhere. Here's a link to a proposed rule for the use of "Camera Monitor Systems" (CMS) in vehicles. It has lots of citations (including references to Tesla/manufacturers wanting it for fuel savings rather than safety, and people getting motion sickness when looking at a display mounted in the dashboard):

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR T250, Ecoboost, Avalanche Grey
20 Posts
With the late availability status of the Smart Mirror (rear view mirror w live video view of what's behind you as you drive), I decided to include the 360 degree camera option in my order.

I had, perhaps erroneously, believed that I could cycle through the view options when driving so that the rear camera/s were displayed. But I've just read some info that it only works when going less than something like 7 mph. When you get up to speed, the video feed goes off and some kind of legalese is displayed about why you can't use it.

Can someone confirm this? Does anyone currently have experience using the 360 degree video for more than parking or other slow-moving uses?

Karyn
Try something like this. I installed this camera on my 2021. It won’t give you the 360 degree view but it does allow the rear camera to be displayed when driving at all speeds.

VanTop H612T Car Camera, 4K Mirror Dual Dash Cam for Cars, 12'' Full Touch Screen, Voice Control , GPS Tracking, Waterproof Backup Camera , 8MP Sony Sensor for Super Night Vision
https://www.walmart.com/ip/705203014

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My purpose is not to have 360 view all the time (in actuality, I don't think you ever do.... you have 360 degree possibility, and you scroll through it). My purpose is for SAFETY in driving a cargo van with no rear window. I don't see how a display screen with a video of the rear view is any different than looking at a rear view mirror that displays a real view of traffic behind you (if you have window access). I think that's ridiculous for them to cite motion sickness. That would then have to apply to regular rear-view mirrors too.

I do understand there are after-market cameras available, but from what I've seen... it's pretty clunky to add a camera (that anyone can easily see and tamper with), especially if I've gone to the trouble of ordering a vehicle with multiple cameras and sensors that already could be tapped into.

I wonder if the "Late Availability" Transit Rear View Smart Mirrors will be able to be retrofitted once they become available. In Europe the Ford site says they can be installed in earlier year vans and, of course, they are ALREADY available on the new Transits.

·
Registered
...shopping
201 Posts
I don't see how a display screen with a video of the rear view is any different than looking at a rear view mirror that displays a real view of traffic behind you (if you have window access). I think that's ridiculous for them to cite motion sickness. That would then have to apply to regular rear-view mirrors too.
You are correct. Electronic rear-view mirrors are both valuable and legal. The problem is that the designers seem to think of the "360-degree" thing as an entirely different feature and treat it differently, at the expense of user flexibility. The "360" cam probably wouldn't help you much anyway, since they are usually ultra-wide-angle cameras. I bet the "Rear View Smart Mirrors" will use a different camera.

I agree with your distaste for aftermarket solutions. The ones with the "mirror" displays may not be too bad, though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not exacltly what you are asking ... but when I was getting ready to purchase my 2020 I looked at Ford's 360 cam offering and tried to purchase it. When I received my van I was told that the 360 cam was actually only for F150s and such ... what was advertised was not what came with the 2020 Transit. Obviously, things are changed and new options available for the 2022s ... but what you think you are getting might not be what you think you ordered and mioght not be what you actually get. Face time with a knowledgeable (?) salesperson that knows might help you avoid being disappointed.

With all that said ... I don't regret purchasing any and all of the "high tech" options that were available on the 2020 when I bought it. In fact, they are my favorite parts of the rig and make my driving safer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Few things:

1.) Per Ford's YouTube video, it doesn't display when over 6 mph.

2.) I believe that they switched this (the rear view mirror camera thing) from "late availability" in the 2022MY to not available until 2023MY but I'm unable to find something to confirm this.

3.) This is what your side mirrors are for. This is why there are two mirrors on each side mirror - the lower one functions like what you would use in a typical passenger vehicle, while the taller and larger one is designed to be a substitute for a rear view mirror and allow you to see vehicles approaching from the sides and rear. It's no different than driving a shuttle bus or a U-Haul/Penske truck, or a semi truck for that matter. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you will have no problems. And since you do have the backup camera, you can see what's behind you when backing up.

·
Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
940 Posts
I don't know how Transit 360 works. But Splinter 360 was awesome when we test drove it in 2020. It is like a drone flying on the top of your van and gives you a birds-eye view of the surrounding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about learn to use your side mirrors when driving? People have done it for decades. Everything you need to see for navigating a vehicle safely can be seen with properly adjusted side mirrors.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
447 Posts
. I don't see how a display screen with a video of the rear view is any different than looking at a rear view mirror
The difference between the view you get from the stock rear view mirror and something like the Vantop is quite huge. You have a much wider and taller field of view with no pillar in the middle. It also works much, much better in various types of light... from dusk, to streetlights, to sunset, etc. You can just see much more, much more clearly.

Not to mention it records everything in case you need it.

Seriously, its the single best mod I've made dollar for dollar to the van.

And it's not that clunky. Everyone thinks its stock, and it took maybe an hour to install.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It also seems you are safety conscious, which is good. As such, I would highly recommend adding the reverse brake assist, which includes the 360 camera and is only $15 more. It will automatically apply the brakes if it detects something behind you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The difference between the view you get from the stock rear view mirror and something like the Vantop is quite huge. You have a much wider and taller field of view with no pillar in the middle. It also works much, much better in various types of light... from dusk, to streetlights, to sunset, etc. You can just see much more, much more clearly.

Not to mention it records everything in case you need it.

Seriously, its the single best mod I've made dollar for dollar to the van.

And it's not that clunky. Everyone thinks its stock, and it took maybe an hour to install.
I think you misunderstood me. I definitely know the digital video feed to a rear view smart mirror is beneficial (my van won’t even have a regular rear view mirror bc it has no rear windows). I was replying to a comment that the Sync 4 display isn’t supposed to be used bc a video would be distracting. I was saying that if a smart mirror isn’t considered distracting, then the same type of feed displayed on the dash display shouldn’t be considered distracting. I, like many, would like the Smart rear view mirror that Europe already has, but it’s not available yet (yes, I know there are after-market products that could also be installed, but I’ve already got lots of cameras already included in my build). I was looking for a work-around w what the installed cameras already provide for parking but which shut off over 7 MPH.

·
Registered
539 Posts
midcityengineering.com seems to have an OBD adapter that'll reprogram a Sprinter to enable the cameras at any speed.

As another commented about the angle of view of the existing cameras, it'd not be a replacement for the Euro rear view camera.

And the cameras in action:

Reactions: kmurphy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
midcityengineering.com seems to have an OBD adapter that'll reprogram a Sprinter to enable the cameras at any speed.
This seems a perfect solution. Does anyone know if a similar OBD adapter is available by anyone for a Transit? What would warranty issues be for installing one?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Aftermarket products never affect OEM warranties (by law), unless they actually break something, in which case the repair would obviously be on you. In this case, that is very unlikely.
Well, in the case of THAT aftermarket feature, the OBD adapter is causing the vehicles computer programming/configuration to be modified. They package it as a single use OBD adapter so that you can't share it with others, and they can keep what they're doing a secret (otherwise you might be able to use a FORscan-style programmer to do it yourself for free).

I suspect Ford would void your SYNC4 warranty at a minimum if you went in trying to get something SYNC4-related (and it appears a bunch of functionality will be behind that interface going forward) repaired. That midcityengineering dongle allows the Sprinter to be unprogrammed, so I'd absolutely do that before taking it in for service.

Given the number of Ford's running around with 360-degree cameras, I'm sure an equivalent modification will be found and marketed.

Personally I want the SYNC display to be useful for what it was intended (radio/nav while driving, backup camera when it reverse) and would install a $100 VanTop-style rear view camera until Ford's is available, then at that point decide if retrofitting Ford's was worth the effort. As can be seen in the Youtube video, the perspective is all f'd up using the backup camera, and I know there is terribad lens flare on the Ford when the sun is just right. And the guys complaint that there was a blind spot when the car passed just means his mirrors (and he has two independent mirrors) aren't set properly.

·
Registered
...shopping
201 Posts
I suspect Ford would void your SYNC4 warranty at a minimum if you went in trying to get something SYNC4-related (and it appears a bunch of functionality will be behind that interface going forward) repaired.
I don't think so. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act would forbid that. As I said, it is true that if your mod causes something (SYC4 or otherwise) to malfunction, that is not covered, because it was your mod that caused the failure. Yes there are grey areas, but if it comes to a lawsuit, the burden of proof that the mod was at fault falls on the OEM, not you. You don't have to prove anything.

None of this is to say that the dealer wouldn't try to intimidate you into going away. But the law is on your side, for what it is worth. And, since the law also requires the OEM to pay your legal fees if you win, there are plenty of spec lawyers around who will represent you for free if you have a case.

EDIT:
One thing that MM will NOT protect you from is modifications that effect the emissions system. That is illegal under the Clean Air Act, which trumps MM. But I am pretty sure that anything in SYNC4 is on safe ground.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think so. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act would forbid that. As I said, it is true that if your mod causes something (SYC4 or otherwise) to malfunction, that is not covered, because it was your mod that caused the failure. Yes there are grey areas, but if it comes to a lawsuit, the burden of proof that the mod was at fault falls on the OEM, not you. You don't have to prove anything.
A quote I found on a "will using FORscan void my warranty":
In this case, the law only matters to those who can afford to pay for the lawyers.

Since the Jeep/Chrysler/CAN bus hack, I'm sure manufacturers have strengthened their EULAs and understanding of laws for what customers can do to their ECUs. I'm doubtful the OP would want to try to make that fight, and doubtful the manufacturer of the "accessory" you installed would be helpful either:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts